The Business/Finance/Economics Thread | Page 20 | Vital Football

The Business/Finance/Economics Thread

Lindzon is a Venture Capitalist and says himself he 'doesn't get crypto' but he thinks its a matter of time before it is regulated and laws are changed allowing them to do whatever it is they'll do with it.

In some ways its already happening, I bank with Chase and Jamie Dimon the CEO has had disdain for it but they've capitulated. SQ and PYPL both have significant holdings of it.

I only put like $50-100 a month in it, its low risk as far as my total allocation

I'll have a look, I only go for the US MSO's based on the guidance of a guy twitter Todd Harrison. His company is involved the MSOS ETF and always recommends against the Canadian companies.

Why doesn't he like the Canadian companies?

Why doesn't he like the Canadian companies?

He talks about it on this podcast episode. I want to say the margins and marketplace are both not as big for the Canadian companies. I honestly forget, most of the companies trade OTC which means you might not be able to invest in them.

I am in Truelieve which $TCNNF on the OTC Markets. They are based out of Florida and slowly expanding outward through organic growth. I went with them because they are undervalued relative to some of their peers. They have much higher margins than many of MSOs (Multi-State Operators).

Todd Harrison of CB1 Capital on the future of cannabis (EP.86)
Panic with Friends - Howard Lindzon

The US Cannabis industry is set to Zoom in the years ahead. I had a great conversation with Todd Harrison who manages a Cannabinoid Wellness fund. Guest - Todd Harrison, CIO and Founding Partner at CB1 Capital Management, LLC howardlindzon.com, cb1cap.com Twitter: @howardlindzon, @todd_harrison, @cb1cap, @knutjensen #fintech #invest #investment #venturecapital #stockmarket #finance

I see Bitcoin almost hit $40,000. I'm very curious about the people who saw Bitcoin at $37,000 and thought it was cheap.

All a bit to techhy for me the shares you guys are into.

The boring shares I’ve bought such as RTN plc +20% and HYVE PLC +40% are doing alright though, two I’ve mentioned I was buying. Made easier by the timing of piling in when everything was down. Should’ve held onto ASOS for the long run though, bad move. Turned into trader not investor there

It's all about SPACs now @danvilla2 - It's probably fairly obvious we're in a bubble at this stage, specifically an EV bubble. $CCIV, $NGA, $RMO, $NIO, $XPEV, $WKHS, $GIIK, $XL thats without mentioning Apple are entering the space and GM and VW etc. are all in it already too.

I can't imagine all of these companies can be winners especially with Tesla a million miles ahead of most of them.

TSM, Nvidia etc. are probably some of the better things to play because I've been reading that the global semi-conductor shortage will inhibit a lot of companies' ability to maintain supply.

If you feel like speculating a little here's an option
https://www.notion.so/GIK-5051f702fd144898937b1afc2922676e

This is a safe link to a SPAC -
Company Overview

GigCapital3 has entered into an agreement to merge with Ligtning eMotors. Lightning eMotors manufactures powertrains, complete vehicles, and charging solutions for the zero-emission medium-duty commercial market. The company was founded in 2008 and has a manufacturing facility in Loveland, Colorado. There are already 120 vehicles on-road, 1500 vehicles on order. 100% of 2021 and the majority of 2022 are already contracted. They hold a 50% market share in class 3 to class 6 electric vehicles. The ticker symbol will change from GIk to ZEV (cool ticker symbol) upon merging which is set tentatively for mid-February, 2021.

It's all about SPACs now @danvilla2 - It's probably fairly obvious we're in a bubble at this stage, specifically an EV bubble. $CCIV, $NGA, $RMO, $NIO, $XPEV, $WKHS, $GIIK, $XL thats without mentioning Apple are entering the space and GM and VW etc. are all in it already too.

I can't imagine all of these companies can be winners especially with Tesla a million miles ahead of most of them.

TSM, Nvidia etc. are probably some of the better things to play because I've been reading that the global semi-conductor shortage will inhibit a lot of companies' ability to maintain supply.

Yep. I was talking about this with a friend the other day. He was talking about a stock market bubble and how he was thinking about going all cash but he'd lose money now if he cashed out.

The KL Stock Exchange is at 1,600 down from 1,800 in 2018.

The DOW is up around 7% on this time last year.

The bubble is entirely in tech and techy stocks.

Signal Advance Inc was trading at 60 cents until Elon tweeted "use signal". It shot up to $38.70 in 3 days.

Signal Advance Inc has nothing to do with Signal the messaging app.

It slumped to $8.43 1 day later. It's a great stock to short if you like that sort of thing.

Yep. I was talking about this with a friend the other day. He was talking about a stock market bubble and how he was thinking about going all cash but he'd lose money now if he cashed out.

That's just timing the market again isn't it, this can go on much longer than we think. As the DM guys are saying, EV could go on through 2021 with all the legislation that may come under Biden.

I watched a thing with Chamath last night and he's saying with rates at zero you could pick equities blind until 2023 and you'll probably make a lot of money.

That's just timing the market again isn't it, this can go on much longer than we think. As the DM guys are saying, EV could go on through 2021 with all the legislation that may come under Biden.

I watched a thing with Chamath last night and he's saying with rates at zero you could pick equities blind until 2023 and you'll probably make a lot of money.

I think you are right. As far as I remember, the .com bubble crashed when interest rates went up. That "growth at all costs" model works great when interest rates are 0. It's unlikely that interest rates are going to rise any time soon.

I think you are right. As far as I remember, the .com bubble crashed when interest rates went up. That "growth at all costs" model works great when interest rates are 0. It's unlikely that interest rates are going to rise any time soon.

I think it was around the 24 minute mark in this video. Sometime toward the end anyway. I dont understand markets the way they do so it was interesting to understand.

The KL Stock Exchange is at 1,600 down from 1,800 in 2018.

The DOW is up around 7% on this time last year.

The bubble is entirely in tech and techy stocks.
Yes agree tech and growth is looking a bit hot after gaining so much last year. Possibly time to consider smaller caps and a bit of value. Also think anything ESG/ethical/green/sustainable related could be a good bet long term despite elevated valuations as the market is fairly narrow in this space but is gaining huge traction in the asset management world

The banks won't touch it because it's unregulated, erratic and impossible to value. The bitcoin fans are always talking about when the institutions start investing because that would drive up the price.

It's like the gold bugs. They are always convinced that the dollar will crash and gold will go to the moon. That event is always just around the corner and now is the best time to buy in. They all go on each others' shows and agree amongst themselves that gold is undervalued and the price is about to rise spectacularly.

I think the comment on “Bitcoin fans” sums it up, if you ever see a negative article / story on it online you’ll also see people getting worked up “how dare you diss Bitcoin” etc like it’s their football team - it shows the level of the people backing it (I.e. they’re not exactly investment professionals) and the incredible reliance of positive and unwavering momentum to keep it going.

A well known investment house called Ruffer added it to one of their portfolios recently, maybe a few other hedge funds too which is partly why the price rocketed in the last few weeks but it’s subsequently fallen sharply back down. I am not convinced it is an asset class beyond pure speculation - it has no purpose, no real value, no one accepts it as currency, it’s too volatile, it’s unregulated & unrelated to the real economy. It’s effectively a high risk ultra leveraged derivative of thin air. I am yet to be convinced why I would ever buy anything in Bitcoin even if it does overcome those fundamental issues - does it offer anything above other payment methods and has the added complication of being different to real/local currency used for everything else

I think the comment on “Bitcoin fans” sums it up, if you ever see a negative article / story on it online you’ll also see people getting worked up “how dare you diss Bitcoin” etc like it’s their football team - it shows the level of the people backing it (I.e. they’re not exactly investment professionals) and the incredible reliance of positive and unwavering momentum to keep it going.

A well known investment house called Ruffer added it to one of their portfolios recently, maybe a few other hedge funds too which is partly why the price rocketed in the last few weeks but it’s subsequently fallen sharply back down. I am not convinced it is an asset class beyond pure speculation - it has no purpose, no real value, no one accepts it as currency, it’s too volatile, it’s unregulated & unrelated to the real economy. It’s effectively a high risk ultra leveraged derivative of thin air. I am yet to be convinced why I would ever buy anything in Bitcoin even if it does overcome those fundamental issues - does it offer anything above other payment methods and has the added complication of being different to real/local currency used for everything else

I seem to remember seeing a few coffee shops in London which allowed you to pay in Bitcoin. The problem was, the transaction fee was around £12 or something worth a lot more than the coffee.

I also remember reading that one of the benefits of Ether was supposedly it’s speed at processing transactions.

The longevity must be around speed and cost of transaction, an international BACS costs a decent sum or a SWIFT payment.

Yes agree tech and growth is looking a bit hot after gaining so much last year. Possibly time to consider smaller caps and a bit of value. Also think anything ESG/ethical/green/sustainable related could be a good bet long term despite elevated valuations as the market is fairly narrow in this space but is gaining huge traction in the asset management world

There is a lot of fizz around solar and EVs at the moment. I'd be concerned that anything in that space is already wildly overvalued.