The Business/Finance/Economics Thread | Page 34 | Vital Football

The Business/Finance/Economics Thread

I'm lining up to go big on Goog when the market finds a bottom. We might be a long way off that yet so I'm happy to bide my time. I figure that I need to pay attention to the SMA and wait for it to cross the 30 but I'm not sure if that's enough. Would you guys go big on the 30 or wait for the 50?

nice divvy off abdn incoming. Piled in lightly this last month on a long term view.
onto next few now. i think if you are savvy the next 3 -5 years is a big return (relative)

I'm lining up to go big on Goog when the market finds a bottom. We might be a long way off that yet so I'm happy to bide my time. I figure that I need to pay attention to the SMA and wait for it to cross the 30 but I'm not sure if that's enough. Would you guys go big on the 30 or wait for the 50?

It’s like a riddle us mere mortals trying to understand these posts BB :grinning:

Google share prices has grown exponentially over the past few years, I remember think $1k was expensive but they’ve gone up to nearly $3k but heading south again.

Have you looked at Meta BB given the recent nose dive? Zuckerberg warning of high investment on making tech cheap for their new digital creation strategy which is a massive risk in their evolution given they’re business is built on signing up to free social websites, and people love free. With risk however comes reward… As long as they aren’t writing of billions of dollars of failed business attempts in 5 years, there could be some share price capital gains there.

It’s like a riddle us mere mortals trying to understand these posts BB :grinning:

Google share prices has grown exponentially over the past few years, I remember think $1k was expensive but they’ve gone up to nearly $3k but heading south again.

Have you looked at Meta BB given the recent nose dive? Zuckerberg warning of high investment on making tech cheap for their new digital creation strategy which is a massive risk in their evolution given they’re business is built on signing up to free social websites, and people love free. With risk however comes reward… As long as they aren’t writing of billions of dollars of failed business attempts in 5 years, there could be some share price capital gains there.

Sorry, Dan. Goog is the ticker for Alphabet (Google). SMA is simple moving average. Those SMAs are measured over all kinds of lengths but the 30/50/200 (days) are the major ones, as far as I can tell.

I don't like Meta because I don't believe in (or perhaps don't understand) the metaverse. It sounds like a load of old crap to me. My old mate's wife was playing something similar 20 years ago called Second Life which had a big bubble economy which then burst spectacularly.

That doesn't mean it won't be successful. A lot of trends go past me and I don't notice or understand them. There was a sign up telling people not to play Pokémon Go in the tax office here. It was such a bit hit a few years ago that tax paying adults were playing it in office buildings. If you can figure that one out, I'd love to know what it's all about.

Right now, there is a fully grown man opposite me in this coffee shop obviously playing some game on his phone. I assume he has never heard of Vital Villa.

Sorry, Dan. Goog is the ticker for Alphabet (Google). SMA is simple moving average. Those SMAs are measured over all kinds of lengths but the 30/50/200 (days) are the major ones, as far as I can tell.

I don't like Meta because I don't believe in (or perhaps don't understand) the metaverse. It sounds like a load of old crap to me. My old mate's wife was playing something similar 20 years ago called Second Life which had a big bubble economy which then burst spectacularly.

That doesn't mean it won't be successful. A lot of trends go past me and I don't notice or understand them. There was a sign up telling people not to play Pokémon Go in the tax office here. It was such a bit hit a few years ago that tax paying adults were playing it in office buildings. If you can figure that one out, I'd love to know what it's all about.

Right now, there is a fully grown man opposite me in this coffee shop obviously playing some game on his phone. I assume he has never heard of Vital Villa.

Don’t worry, I knew the Google one. ABDN I did have to Google, never heard of them.

I think this is the challenge with investing sometimes you need to sometimes separate your preferences and trends, for example I’d never eat at McDonalds but I’d happily own shares in them so long as they’d keep evolving in line with consumer trends.

I’m not on Facebook as a daily user with a dormant account, but I am on insta and WhatsApp. The profit is made by advertising, so as long as people are logging in then they are making revenue. I guess most people could be put into either a mainstream social media user, or those who spend more time on niche site like this. WhatsApp doesn’t have adverts (yet), but is a huge opportunity for them if they choose to do that as much as I’d prefer it if they didn’t as a user.

I’m sure Meta will evolve into new trends and acquire starts ups which appeal to the new generation, to continue making revenue. As long as they don’t spunk all their upcoming profits on hoping 1bn users buy virtual head sets because when people have to physically put something on, it is much harder to take off. A mate of mine who works for Facebook did actually have a pair of futuristic glasses they are working on with built in cameras - not sure how that takes off with recording people without their knowledge

Long and short of it is, I’d be looking to buy Meta shares but like you with Google, perhaps worth waiting to see if it bottoms out a bit further.

Don’t worry, I knew the Google one. ABDN I did have to Google, never heard of them.

I think this is the challenge with investing sometimes you need to sometimes separate your preferences and trends, for example I’d never eat at McDonalds but I’d happily own shares in them so long as they’d keep evolving in line with consumer trends.

I’m not on Facebook as a daily user with a dormant account, but I am on insta and WhatsApp. The profit is made by advertising, so as long as people are logging in then they are making revenue. I guess most people could be put into either a mainstream social media user, or those who spend more time on niche site like this. WhatsApp doesn’t have adverts (yet), but is a huge opportunity for them if they choose to do that as much as I’d prefer it if they didn’t as a user.

I’m sure Meta will evolve into new trends and acquire starts ups which appeal to the new generation, to continue making revenue. As long as they don’t spunk all their upcoming profits on hoping 1bn users buy virtual head sets because when people have to physically put something on, it is much harder to take off. A mate of mine who works for Facebook did actually have a pair of futuristic glasses they are working on with built in cameras - not sure how that takes off with recording people without their knowledge

Long and short of it is, I’d be looking to buy Meta shares but like you with Google, perhaps worth waiting to see if it bottoms out a bit further.

I know what you mean about separating preferences from investments but with very few investments (I currently have 3 stocks), I'd rather invest in something I understand the user case for.

I don't think it's a strategy I'd recommend to others though. I could have bought Celcius at twenty something dollars. It went over a hundred and is currently around seventy. I didn't buy because I tried their drinks and didn't like them or feel they had any "energy" effect.

Yes he has official hit **** status

Elon Musk welcomes global recession: ‘it’s been raining money on fools for too long’

“This is actually a good thing,” Musk said in response to a question from a Twitter user. “It has been raining money on fools for too long. Some bankruptcies need to happen.

“Also,” he continued, “all the Covid stay-at-home stuff has tricked people into thinking that you don’t actually need to work hard. Rude awakening inbound!”

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-its-been-raining-money-on-fools-for-too-long

Forgetting the fact that:

Elon Musk is speaking out against government subsidies. Here's a list of the billions of dollars his businesses have received.

However, over the years, Musk's companies — Tesla Motors, SpaceX, and SolarCity — have received billions of dollars from government loans, contracts, tax credits, and subsidies. According to a Los Angeles Times investigation, Musk's companies had received an estimated $4.9 billion in government support by 2015, and they've gotten more since.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elo...a-billions-spacex-solarcity-2021-12?r=US&IR=T

Yes he has official hit **** status

Elon Musk welcomes global recession: ‘it’s been raining money on fools for too long’

“This is actually a good thing,” Musk said in response to a question from a Twitter user. “It has been raining money on fools for too long. Some bankruptcies need to happen.

“Also,” he continued, “all the Covid stay-at-home stuff has tricked people into thinking that you don’t actually need to work hard. Rude awakening inbound!”

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-its-been-raining-money-on-fools-for-too-long

Forgetting the fact that:

Elon Musk is speaking out against government subsidies. Here's a list of the billions of dollars his businesses have received.

However, over the years, Musk's companies — Tesla Motors, SpaceX, and SolarCity — have received billions of dollars from government loans, contracts, tax credits, and subsidies. According to a Los Angeles Times investigation, Musk's companies had received an estimated $4.9 billion in government support by 2015, and they've gotten more since.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elo...a-billions-spacex-solarcity-2021-12?r=US&IR=T

To me (who doesn’t know an awful lot about him as admitted in this thread), he just comes across as another hypocritical populist.

To me (who doesn’t know an awful lot about him as admitted in this thread), he just comes across as another hypocritical populist.

I see him as a modern-day industrialist like those of the gilded age, an American oligarch. A lot of his futurist ideas I think are just ways he wants to make money and build his power base.

Luckily he can't run for president, a small part of me would be interested in seeing it but ultimately I think it would destroy poor folks and once again line the pockets of those already living a good life.

Think it will be going up a lot more MD. Are there no fixed deals you can look at.

No. Not worth it at the moment. We scoped in the earlier the year but the fixed deals available were a good way above what we are paying now and still paying despite the rises . And there were fees on top .

Its a gamble obviously because the deals going forward won't be what they are now. Just keeping an eye on how far the interest rate is predicted to rise and a watching brief....

No. Not worth it at the moment. We scoped in the earlier the year but the fixed deals available were a good way above what we are paying now and still paying despite the rises . And there were fees on top .

Its a gamble obviously because the deals going forward won't be what they are now. Just keeping an eye on how far the interest rate is predicted to rise and a watching brief....

You'd better keep a very close eye on this, brother. Unless we get peace in Ukraine soon, interest rates are going through the roof (they are predicted to go as high as 10%).

You'd better keep a very close eye on this, brother. Unless we get peace in Ukraine soon, interest rates are going through the roof (they are predicted to go as high as 10%).

3% is what I have been reading as a consensus as a max . Haven't read as high as 10%.

3% is what I have been reading as a consensus as a max . Haven't read as high as 10%.

The US economy is going wild because of their overstimulation during Covid ($1500 cheques for everyone) and the shortage in the labour market (2 years of no immigration, Covid deaths, etc). The Fed just increased their base rate by 0.75% and are planning to do the same in Q3. It won't have any effect on the food or oil price inflation because that is coming from Ukraine so they are going to have to keep going until the real interest rate is above the inflation rate which will suck money out of the economy faster than a Dyson.

The Bank of England seems keen to follow whatever the Fed is doing despite the circumstances being different in Britain.

Interest rates won’t go that high, inflation rates will though

The interest rate has to go above the inflation rate to encourage people to save. If the interest rate remains lower than the inflation rate, people will be losing money by keeping it in the bank.

The interest rate has to go above the inflation rate to encourage people to save. If the interest rate remains lower than the inflation rate, people will be losing money by keeping it in the bank.
The interest rate has been below the inflation rate for the best part of a decade despite the CPI ranging from 0%-4% over that period (ignoring the rises this year). The interest rate doesn't 'have' to go above the inflation rate that's a choice. I can't personally see rates going to 10% but we will see.

I think it was Thatcher who came in with very high rates to look to get inflation under control, I have no idea what the play will be by the BOE, are they going to risk a housing market collapse and reduce incentives to invest with more expensive money, despite the economy needing it with brexit?

We're in the absolute fucking shit aren't we.

The interest rate has been below the inflation rate for the best part of a decade despite the CPI ranging from 0%-4% over that period (ignoring the rises this year). The interest rate doesn't 'have' to go above the inflation rate that's a choice. I can't personally see rates going to 10% but we will see.

I think it was Thatcher who came in with very high rates to look to get inflation under control, I have no idea what the play will be by the BOE, are they going to risk a housing market collapse and reduce incentives to invest with more expensive money, despite the economy needing it with brexit?

We're in the absolute fucking shit aren't we.

It doesn't look good. We really need peace in Ukraine ASAP. Once that is sorted, we can deal with the other issues. To put it another way, until that is sorted, we are fucked.

The nominal interest rate is the interest rate less the inflation rate. The nominal interest rate has been negative for a long time, prompting investment in tech and a global housing bubble. One way of getting inflation under control is by making the nominal interest rate positive which will crash the housing market and asset markets in general destroying inflation (and the underlying economy). It "worked" in the late 70s leading to mass unemployment.