The Business/Finance/Economics Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Business/Finance/Economics Thread

I like low value low cap minerals/mining within volatile territory with a bit of a back story to add a bit of spice to my portfolio. I like Greatland gold as well at the moment as it fits my criteria

I've been keeping an eye on Vast Resources. It was up 10% yesterday and then down 3% today. Do you check your stock prices every day? I'd imagine it would drive you mad.

I started watching Vast Resources at 44p. It went up to 50p and now it's down to 35p. I've no idea what's driving the price swings or what the correct value should be. It reminds me of that old saying about the fool in the market.

I make a reasonable amount of money on the stock market in my spare time which I have plenty of. Quick tip for vital villans. A company called VAST resources. Likely to be up to 1p a share by Christmas and then onwards. Not guaranteed but I got into this at 0.12 a share (now 0.44) Check it out on the LSE site. Very likely to break through the 0.5 barrier Monday

Well you were right it did break 0.5p but is back down to 0.35p

I got very burnt on penny stocks in the last dotcom bubble.... Still remember the names of a lot of the shares that went pop.... Baltimore, Earthport, Ferrum... peole made fortunes and were able to retire seeing their penny shares rise from 0.2p to 10p in a matter of weeks.

Me being me, chose the duffers at the wrong time and lost.

:(

Anyone remember Knutsford?

Share price went from 2p to 232p in 1 day!!! Imagine being on that!

As you can imagine... I wasn't :(

Vast Resources was at 37p at 2:15pm. At 2:30pm it was at 27p and by 2:45pm it was back to 37p. If you knew what the hell was going on, you could make a ton of money.

Vast Resources was at 37p at 2:15pm. At 2:30pm it was at 27p and by 2:45pm it was back to 37p. If you knew what the hell was going on, you could make a ton of money.

That’s probably only going to happen through illegal insider trading.

I’ve just read up on their news, I think this highlights the reason why you can’t win short term. A bit of Chinese whispers, share price shoots up. A delay in the financing, share price drops. The share price feels like it reacts on emotion rather than fact.

The financials of the company are awful if you look over time, revenue is all over the place and it doesn’t make a profit. I wouldn’t go near it with a barge pole personally but each to their own! Purely a speculative capital gain on a tiny company. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t see it.

Last edited:
Anything that volatile is a pure gamble not an investment. Its like buying bitcoin.

I do like a gamble though..... Just a good job I don't have any money to play with :rotfl:

Unless you really have the resources and time to really research these companies I don’t see the allure of buying individual stocks - and I have the regulatory qualifications to actually do so on other people’s behalf! It’s not just a case of it’s a good company or not but you also need to work out whether the price of the stock is an accurate reflection of the underlying fundamentals or the expected growth prospects, and the sensitivities to market conditions (eg the comment about small cap miners..perhaps not an ideal sector with the global manufacturing decline + possible global recession looming) ... people get paid hundreds of thousands of pounds or even millions per year to work this out as a full time job and still regularly get it wrong so I never have much faith in arm chair investors recommending their favourite stocks based on guesses

It looks like bad news coming out of China. Most of the best performing mutual funds here have been China based funds but I won't touch any of them because Chinese figures are always more of a reflection of what the CCP wants everyone to think than hard facts.

I see the Tesla shorts have been taking a tanking. Their share price is at 440 up from 190 in May. I'm a big fan of Elon Musk but I find it hard to get behind Tesla shares with their enormous valuation.

Ah, had posted this in the saving money thread, but have now found this more appropriate thread

Interest rates might be set to fall again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51117888

Good news for those in debt, awful news for those with investments.

Santander 123 account is being ruined come May. Interest used to be 3% then 1.5% but soon 1% plus capping cashbacks. Still charging £5 a month though. I'll be moving, probably to the one that is offering £175 to move, HSBC I think it is, got it bookmarked via a Martin Lewis advice page.

Ah, had posted this in the saving money thread, but have now found this more appropriate thread

Santander 123 account is being ruined come May. Interest used to be 3% then 1.5% but soon 1% plus capping cashbacks. Still charging £5 a month though. I'll be moving, probably to the one that is offering £175 to move, HSBC I think it is, got it bookmarked via a Martin Lewis advice page.

In fairness, you shouldn't have any significant money in a current account.

In fairness, you shouldn't have any significant money in a current account.

You wouldn't get 3% anywhere else up to £20 000

And now you wouldn't get 1.5% in most places.

But it is also about cashbacks on mortgage, communication, energy etc. Mounts up well, well, it did until they just ruined it.

You wouldn't get 3% anywhere else up to £20 000

And now you wouldn't get 1.5% in most places.

But it is also about cashbacks on mortgage, communication, energy etc. Mounts up well, well, it did until they just ruined it.

My old mate Dave Ramsey recommends having 3 to 6 months of expenses in a current account and investing anything else in property or mutual funds. £20k sounds like a lot for 3 to 6 months of expenses.

they've a lite account that's £1/month but keeps the cashback
pays no interest but no need for a minimum balance

cashback on mine is marginal so prob can't be arsed to keep an account with them

Yup. But cashback is capped so not as good. It is quite a hit interest and cashback wise. Just looked. I'm £2 short of £2000 earned since having the account. Less a fiver a month since they introduced the fee, which wasn't that long ago

Just catching up on some business news. It looks like the corporate debt market might be the next big bust in Wall Street's pump and dump cycle. There are some pretty big companies like Campbell's (the soup people) who have massive debt burdens (around 5 times income). This coming recession will clear the boards a bit.

I wonder if governments will dare bail out the investment banks again.