The British public | Page 6 | Vital Football

The British public

Incidentally, i realised the mum of one of the boys on my sons rugby team, who my wife knows quite well now was the old landlord of the gun by spitalfields market before it was sold a few years ago. That was a cracking pub about 100m from where i used to live, back in the day.

Now that was a great pub, I was a lunchtime regular there.

After the building was redeveloped it has reopened though as a bar not a pub, and they've kept the name which is a travesty.

The Anchor used to be 10x better before it was extended and the hotel added on. The Horseshoe, I would not count as a BM pub. I'm glad no one has mentioned The Thameside Inn, a complete and utter rip off.

Anyone know if The Founders Arms (Young's non BM) is still about, had a feeling it might be demolished.

Anchor always stinks of cleaning fluid

I couldn't believe that the high street couldn't even sustain a Maccy D's anymore.

When I was a kid my Dad and I had a ritual of going there before a game after driving around the M25. Thought I was losing my marbles walking down the High Street not seeing it. I got shamefully far before it dawned on me that it may not exist anymore!

They've pulled out of the high streets for a few reasons.: The drive through model is more lucrative and convenient; you also don't get the social issues with the drive throughs that you get on the high street, and the drive throughs are buildings are generally built to their spec and not dilapidated stuff.

(Hope I haven't come across like Wayne here)

Most days since the virus started have had long queues outside.

Plans for the high street are to take it back to having traffic running through it.
Plus, where the ex supermarket/underground car park is they are discussing changing that into flats.

Through traffic! That would be the gunshot wound to the head.

It's a private company, they don't have to justify their decision do they?

I like Gillingham High Street. Yes it's grim, but charmingly so IMO, and there's places where you can buy stuff (Sports Direct, The Works, Poundland), and good cafes / chinese. The WH Smiths is weird though, it always looks like it's shut!
I always felt that about WH smith. When my youngest was a nipper he got bored at football so I'd have to buy him a bloody comic. Was never sure if to go in or not

And you lot talk about London being rough. Our local McD's is quite posh in the scheme of things (tables and drive through). Used to have an American car and a statue of Elvis in the front window and a Rock and Roll jukebox. Don't know what it's like now as I have not been in for years (food, as in all McD's is shit).

Founders Arms is still there. I walk home a few times in the summer and it normally has a large number of tourists sitting outside.

Yep the founders is still there. Although i only really want to go there if its hot, but if its hot so does everyone else. Plus if i cant have the horseshoe inn, founders defo aint borough market.

Now that was a great pub, I was a lunchtime regular there.

After the building was redeveloped it has reopened though as a bar not a pub, and they've kept the name which is a travesty.
Yeh they never wanted to sell, but having done so, i believe they did quite well out of the compulsory purchase order.

Oh Leeds can moan, justifiably and just because they believe they are the most hard done by club in the world. It's not immediately attractive but has a peculiar charm after a while. I hear lots of people saying they only like their own club, hate all others and couldn't care less about England even enjoy them losiing. None of this is unique to Liverpool but they do have a clear idea of who they are and that makes many others envious.

Proper Yorkies genuinely believe they are best at absolutely everything, at least the men.
how to tell a
Really bad taste but genuinely made me laugh.

Reminded me of when we was in Lanzagrotty in January.
A very large and loud man, wearing a Yorkshire CC shirt sitting around the pool with his Mrs.
A young German family took the beds adjacent and he struck up a conversation.
I said to my wife, how long before he says he’s from Yorkshire?
About three minutes 😁
Then I said how long before he brings up Brexit?
About another five minutes.
Then I said I reckon he’ll go for the holy trinity.
He won’t mention the war, she said.
I bet you he does, I replied.

Yep !
Five minutes later 😁

We were wetting ourselves but this guy had no self awareness at all.

To be fair to the German family, he was so broad that I don’t think that they understood everything he said.

The following day, he was telling a different family that he was from Yorkshire 😂
easy way to identify a true tyke , just ask them if they have spent any money during the day!!!!!!!!!!.

Last edited: