The British public | Page 3 | Vital Football

The British public

Don't they call it Gods own county/country?

I loved Harry Enfield's character George Whitebread:
Really bad taste but genuinely made me laugh.

Reminded me of when we was in Lanzagrotty in January.
A very large and loud man, wearing a Yorkshire CC shirt sitting around the pool with his Mrs.
A young German family took the beds adjacent and he struck up a conversation.
I said to my wife, how long before he says he’s from Yorkshire?
About three minutes 😁
Then I said how long before he brings up Brexit?
About another five minutes.
Then I said I reckon he’ll go for the holy trinity.
He won’t mention the war, she said.
I bet you he does, I replied.

Yep !
Five minutes later 😁

We were wetting ourselves but this guy had no self awareness at all.

To be fair to the German family, he was so broad that I don’t think that they understood everything he said.

The following day, he was telling a different family that he was from Yorkshire 😂

I worked with a bunch of guys from Pontefract for a few years I liked several of them. Proper Yorkshire but never had a good word to say about anybody from anywhere. I tackled one of them after he passed some comments I deemed racist having bitten my tongue on a number of occasions. His response?

" Jo, I don't really like any **** from anywhere outside Pontey"

Really bad taste but genuinely made me laugh.

Reminded me of when we was in Lanzagrotty in January.
A very large and loud man, wearing a Yorkshire CC shirt sitting around the pool with his Mrs.
A young German family took the beds adjacent and he struck up a conversation.
I said to my wife, how long before he says he’s from Yorkshire?
About three minutes 😁
Then I said how long before he brings up Brexit?
About another five minutes.
Then I said I reckon he’ll go for the holy trinity.
He won’t mention the war, she said.
I bet you he does, I replied.

Yep !
Five minutes later 😁

We were wetting ourselves but this guy had no self awareness at all.

To be fair to the German family, he was so broad that I don’t think that they understood everything he said.

The following day, he was telling a different family that he was from Yorkshire 😂

I love overhearing stuff like that but occasionally remind myself that we are all ridiculous in our own way; we share localish traits, outlooks and prejudices and others are noticing. And laughing.

The Gills sticker in my car is frequently mocked
:-(

" Are there any others "

" Are you the only one "

Now if there is one group of people I feel entitled to hate it's those that make lame and hackneyed "jokes" and laugh hard. If they finish with "can't you take a joke?" I feel a justifiable homicide brewing.

Yep, the last sentence is factually correct, which is why I get so exasperated when I hear middle class whites from suburbia talk about "white privilege". There are millions of these kids with no parental help, no qualifications and no future.

I don't think the cigarettes story is extreme. On every "poverty" programme on Channel 4 the protagonists will always have a ciggie in their hand. When I lived on the poorest estate in Maidstone about 10 years ago, I used to think i should open a shop called "scratches and smokes" because literally three quarters of the other customers in the Londis would buy either a packet of fags, or a scratch card (or both) when they did their shop. I was probably one of the higher earners, but would consider both as items I couldn't afford, as I had 3 kids to provide for
I have often wondered about some people struggling financially and why they don't change their habits.

If you're that hard off then you shouldn't be gambling, smoking or drinking. You should prioritise food and general quality of life. The tax payer shouldn't need to buy you food because you don't want to give up your vices. I get that these things are very addictive but if you were struggling that much there is no way you should be buying that stuff over food. Severe addiction of gambling and alcohol is another matter that needs the necessary help, but I'm talking here about those who don't do it excessively but just can't afford it.

I believe with the food vouchers you get £15 per week per child. The average smoker gets through about half a pack a day so therefore spends £25 (cheapest cigs) a week. Something isn't right there to me.

My income has halved during corona and the first thing I did was stop unnecessary spending. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect others to do the same.

Again, a reminder this is not a generalisation of all those in tough situations. Those who are doing everything they can to help themselves should get all the help we can give them.

I believe with the food vouchers you get £15 per week per child. The average smoker gets through about half a pack a day so therefore spends £25 (cheapest cigs) a week. Something isn't right there to me.
I think half a pack a day is not a smoker, I would say a smoker is between 20 and 40 a day.

I am fanatical at budgeting and regard Martin Lewis as a hero. However, when I was really poor, many years ago, I would buy scratch cards with the last few pence I had. I'd be horrified at spending such a proportion of my money now on gambling.

Hence, although I now spend "sensibly" I'm reluctant to heap criticism on such people, having been there myself.

How many smokers pay full price? Alcohol from off sales cheap as chips. Any attempt to change things called an attack on the poor..... by people who don't give a damn about them.

How many smokers pay full price? Alcohol from off sales cheap as chips. Any attempt to change things called an attack on the poor..... by people who don't give a damn about them.
How don't you pay full price for cigarettes?

Alcohol from supermarkets may be 'as cheap as chips' but if you're struggling financially buy the chips instead.

In my younger "laddish" holidays I was forever being asked if I was a cockney. Although it pissed me off I played up to it as certain women, American and Scots in particular, seemed to rather like my "cockney" accent 😏

I will back up '58 here and say I've not known any other fans apart from Liverpool openly state they are not English. I've heard their saying "Scouse not English" being spouted many times

I have also got the feeling that more Liverpool players retire from England duty early "to concentrate on my club career" than any other team. Carragher and Milner come to mind but I am sure there were others. Not such a problem now as Alexander-Arnold and Henderson are the only regulars in the Liverpool team.

How don't you pay full price for cigarettes?

Alcohol from supermarkets may be 'as cheap as chips' but if you're struggling financially buy the chips instead.

Black market cigs available in most towns estimated at over half sales in Gillingham. Chips and some cheap booze cheaper than a good meal. In some situations the first of those choices is the most reasonable.

I am fanatical at budgeting and regard Martin Lewis as a hero. However, when I was really poor, many years ago, I would buy scratch cards with the last few pence I had. I'd be horrified at spending such a proportion of my money now on gambling.

Hence, although I now spend "sensibly" I'm reluctant to heap criticism on such people, having been there myself.
Having been hard up or flushed I have never bought a scratch card.

Careful with counterfeit cigs - most of them come from China and if smokers knew what was put in those phony cigs they might throw up ! :smoke: :wagging:

From the date when lockdown was eased to the extent that we were allowed to go out in small family groups providing we socially distance, public toilets should have been opened. Why weren't they?

Shirley providing the cubicles are regularly cleaned and sanitised, the walls would act like the perspex now being used at shop counters. Additionally, alcoholic hand sanitiser could be provided on the hand basins, possibly even killing some Covid germs picked up elsewhere.

Instead, the most unsanitary conditions have been encouraged.
Fortunately Suffolk council did keep a few open in towns because it wasn't easy for the wife I can tell you.Petrol stations were the best bet and my guess is they still are.