The British public | Page 6 | Vital Football

The British public

LockdownLife

Vital Youth Team
I couldn't believe that the high street couldn't even sustain a Maccy D's anymore.

When I was a kid my Dad and I had a ritual of going there before a game after driving around the M25. Thought I was losing my marbles walking down the High Street not seeing it. I got shamefully far before it dawned on me that it may not exist anymore!

Jerryattrick

Vital 1st Team Regular
Back to the public, sorry. I spent half an hour on Gillingham Hight Street this morning, Mrs jogills seeking essential supply of logic puzzle books. That high street will not die unless someone shoots it, lots of people about of all ages behaving politely and doing their best to observe social distancing. I should have been cheered but it had the opposite effect on me. If that is the forseeable future then it's a desperate one and that's before the money, individual and collective, runs out. One or two shops have gone already and heaven knows how many jobs will survive the winter.

I think the public, if we are to judge them as one entity, are pretty good in the main. They have done significantly better than their leaders to date. There are many living in multiple occupation and poorly adapted flats, with no outside space, no savings, perhaps no access to a car and the imminent prospect of homelessness. If we are in the business of trashing our own at this stage in the game then I wonder what happens when teenagers have been out of school for six months and more adults feel they have nothing to lose.

Glad that I retain the ability to get angry, which saves me from despair. The only shop with people hanging about inside? The bloody betting shop! I passed the taped off childrens' playground on Woodlands Road on the way home. Let the least healthy among us huddle in front of a screen losing their last pennies but for heavens sake stop the children playing outsde, WTF!.
Most days since the virus started have had long queues outside.

Plans for the high street are to take it back to having traffic running through it.
Plus, where the ex supermarket/underground car park is they are discussing changing that into flats.

Jerryattrick

Vital 1st Team Regular
I couldn't believe that the high street couldn't even sustain a Maccy D's anymore.

When I was a kid my Dad and I had a ritual of going there before a game after driving around the M25. Thought I was losing my marbles walking down the High Street not seeing it. I got shamefully far before it dawned on me that it may not exist anymore!
Nobody seems to know why McDonalds was closed. The media had asked but nothing came back.

ThreeSixes

Vital 1st Team Regular
Nobody seems to know why McDonalds was closed. The media had asked but nothing came back.
It's a private company, they don't have to justify their decision do they?

I like Gillingham High Street. Yes it's grim, but charmingly so IMO, and there's places where you can buy stuff (Sports Direct, The Works, Poundland), and good cafes / chinese. The WH Smiths is weird though, it always looks like it's shut!

SE1_Gills

Vital Squad Member
Incidentally, i realised the mum of one of the boys on my sons rugby team, who my wife knows quite well now was the old landlord of the gun by spitalfields market before it was sold a few years ago. That was a cracking pub about 100m from where i used to live, back in the day.
Now that was a great pub, I was a lunchtime regular there.

After the building was redeveloped it has reopened though as a bar not a pub, and they've kept the name which is a travesty.

SE1_Gills

Vital Squad Member
The Anchor used to be 10x better before it was extended and the hotel added on. The Horseshoe, I would not count as a BM pub. I'm glad no one has mentioned The Thameside Inn, a complete and utter rip off.

Anyone know if The Founders Arms (Young's non BM) is still about, had a feeling it might be demolished.
Anchor always stinks of cleaning fluid

SE1_Gills

Vital Squad Member

They've pulled out of the high streets for a few reasons.: The drive through model is more lucrative and convenient; you also don't get the social issues with the drive throughs that you get on the high street, and the drive throughs are buildings are generally built to their spec and not dilapidated stuff.

(Hope I haven't come across like Wayne here)

jogills

Vital 1st Team Regular
Most days since the virus started have had long queues outside.

Plans for the high street are to take it back to having traffic running through it.
Plus, where the ex supermarket/underground car park is they are discussing changing that into flats.
Through traffic! That would be the gunshot wound to the head.

It's a private company, they don't have to justify their decision do they?

I like Gillingham High Street. Yes it's grim, but charmingly so IMO, and there's places where you can buy stuff (Sports Direct, The Works, Poundland), and good cafes / chinese. The WH Smiths is weird though, it always looks like it's shut!
I always felt that about WH smith. When my youngest was a nipper he got bored at football so I'd have to buy him a bloody comic. Was never sure if to go in or not

RotherhitheGill

Vital Squad Member
And you lot talk about London being rough. Our local McD's is quite posh in the scheme of things (tables and drive through). Used to have an American car and a statue of Elvis in the front window and a Rock and Roll jukebox. Don't know what it's like now as I have not been in for years (food, as in all McD's is shit).

alphabet_king

Vital 1st Team Regular
Now that was a great pub, I was a lunchtime regular there.

After the building was redeveloped it has reopened though as a bar not a pub, and they've kept the name which is a travesty.
Yeh they never wanted to sell, but having done so, i believe they did quite well out of the compulsory purchase order.