The blame firmly lies with Lovell | Vital Football

The blame firmly lies with Lovell

Brexiteer

Vital Squad Member
He went public with a 50 point target now can't motivate the players.
We are still not safe but he persists with Hessanthaler and similar when clearly we lack flair and creativity.
If the players he picks are not delivering then it's time to give the younger players the opportunity
We don't know what Nash can do from the 5 minutes or so he gets. Byrne came out and said some of them were playing for a contract, Lovell needs to act and quickly, we are still not safe.

He is in a bit of a difficult situation - we just need 1 or 2 more points to ensure safety unless other results go our way on Saturday so he may be reluctant to throw in too many of the inexperienced youngsters just yet. He has stated on the GFC site that changes will be made to the side for the Blackpool game. Exactly what changes he has in mind remain to be seen. If we get something on Saturday I guess he will give a few others a start at Brizzle and home to Argyle.

Of course, the blame lies with SL; he's the manager. That said, we have a very poor squad even by GFC standards. Nash won't make a difference if he plays for a week - a bit like List. All that needs to happen is for the midfield to be tightened; it's where we failed at Oldham - they ran the game in the middle but were generally inept overall. Last night, we again conceded the midfield - no midfield and the likelihood of no result.

That said, we have a very poor squad even by GFC standards.

The squad isn't that bad and on balance is probably average for the league.

The performances they put in and the form on display when Lovell took over displays the performances they are capable of. For several months we had promotion chasing form. Lovell needs to adopt the tactics and mentality of that form again.

As I commented on another thread, during that run of form we were getting a load of crosses into the box and Eaves and Parker were getting their heads on the end of them. We've stopped doing that. We started under Lovell playing 4-4-2 and would then switch to 5-3-2 if that wasn't working. Recently Lovell has been switching between the two formations as the starting line up. Lovell needs to start with 4-4-2 again and demand the two wide midfielders get crosses into the box.

It feels as if Lovell is lost as to what his best side is now and he is tinkering around too much.

Hess usually goes like this after a run in the team. Needs to be benched then get a run again to give him a kick. He plays best when he's had a period on the bench.

The performances they put in and the form on display when Lovell took over displays the performances they are capable of. For several months we had promotion chasing form. Lovell needs to adopt the tactics and mentality of that form again.

As I commented on another thread, during that run of form we were getting a load of crosses into the box and Eaves and Parker were getting their heads on the end of them. We've stopped doing that. We started under Lovell playing 4-4-2 and would then switch to 5-3-2 if that wasn't working. Recently Lovell has been switching between the two formations as the starting line up. Lovell needs to start with 4-4-2 again and demand the two wide midfielders get crosses into the box.

It feels as if Lovell is lost as to what his best side is now and he is tinkering around too much.
The squad is shit with a few exceptions

It's O'Neill who provided the crosses

The squad is so shit that every player was worth 10 out of 10 at Scunthorpe.
Yes, and I stand by that but, because we have such a thin squad with both lack of depth and experience, injuries and suspension have meant we're unable to sustain that sort of form.

Hess is a very ordinary player, you say we have no choice, but we have Nasseri who looked really impressive, a very good footballer, Frank Moussa, who both look a lot better than Hess to me!

And so it starts. A couple more not so brilliant results (draws) and the pitch forks will be out, torches lit and the baying mob will be crying for blood. Every captain hindsight will have his say on how it was obvious to everyone how this or that should have been done or set up because we are all so knowledgeable and could do a far better job than the incumbent .
We're a hard working average league 1 side.
Wayne the squad isnt shit but it does lack one or two quality players. Baghdad bob the league isnt shit its no better or worse than league 1 has ever been.
Are we safe? Probably. Is lovell tinkering he might be but then if he feels were safe why not.
I'll make a prediction, in 4 years time Steve lovell will no longer be Gills manager and we'll still be spouting the same old bollox weve always spouted while kidding ourselves that we know best.

With the likes of Wagstaff, Garmeston, O'neil, injured every other game, Moussa who is also injured at the moment, a Captain who has now lost 7 games due to his lack of discipline, how does that relate to tinkering?

Yes, and I stand by that but, because we have such a thin squad with both lack of depth and experience, injuries and suspension have meant we're unable to sustain that sort of form.

[
Baghdad bob the league isnt shit its no better or worse than league 1 has ever been.
If you read the rest of my posts then you will see I agree with you. I prior said that the team is average for the league and Wayne said our team was shit. Therefore if our team is shit then by logic that implies the entire league must be shit too.

Lots of fans cannot wait to say they were right and SL was not the man for the job, cheap option, one of the boys etc. They have had to be silent up to now as the the results had been so good (well, away at least lol).