The Blackburn (a) Thread | Vital Football

The Blackburn (a) Thread

cropped

Vital Squad Member
Here's my two penneth....

Blackburn, last 6 home games

Beat Hull 3-0
Lost 1 -0 to Brizzel
Lost 1-0 to Boro (and when did they win any recent games!)
Lost 1-0 to PNE
Beat Wigan 3-0
Lost 1-0 to Stoke

My feeling is a close game with the Rams coming out on top 1-0 and continuing to pressurise Brizzel and Villa.

You can thank me tomorrow gents.

Nothing to be said after that shameful performance!!
They have all disgraced the badge and that includes FL and his entourage as well as the players!!
An apology is not sufficient!!
If I was Mel I wouldn't take any prisoners, only heads would do!!

Last edited:
The better side for the opening 5 minutes of each half and then........ nothing. Just about all of us have said at one time or another that we don't have enough bite in midfield. Last night was yet another glaring example. Every loose ball was closer to one of theirs than one of ours. Every ricochet seemed to go in their favour. They had more movement all over the pitch. When you look at the teams' League position you could be excused for thinking they had swapped kits for the evening. They say you need some luck to win. Blackburn had it in spades last night and that was mainly down to their work rate aand physicality. It was back to the old system of standing off, not pressing and not harrying and when we did not doing it anywhere near enough. On the other hand, when we got the ball they were biting at our ankles to get the ball back. In our faces and forcing us into mistakes............ and it worked. They got away with quite a lot IMO and the ref let them. Having said that, in the opening 15 he was very pro Derby in his decision making. Then the crowd and their players got on to him and he seemed to flip "allegiance". I will give one glaring example of not cracking down. The ball was lofted towards the D of their area. Mount goes for it and gets hit from behind by one of their CD's. The defender is running forwrads, jumps and leads with his left forearm which hits Mount on the border of head and neck. That in itself is painful enough and then Mason injures his upper arm and/or shoulder in the resulting fall. The ref played advantage which was fair enough but, at the first opportunity after that, he should have booked the defender. As a unit, we had way too much space between the lines which made passing more difficult and interceptions by them much easier and it showed. When we did get forward, 99% of the time we tried to go through the middle where it was as crowded as the M25 in rush hour. Why? Basically we got muscled out of it again. Roos - not at fault for either goal but did flap at a couple of balls he should have caught. Bogle - good game Keogh - good game Tomori - good game Cole - OK. Complains too much for me. The worst example was the waist high tackle about 20 minutes from the end. Linesman flagged and got a veral broadside from Cole. Not the forst time in the game he had a go at an official for getting it right. That needs to stop. Bryson - huffed and puffed but that was about it. Lucky not to get booked on 2 occasions. He has a special place in many Rams fans' hearts but I think Kilmarnock is calling him and he should heed the call Johnson - Conspicuous by his absence. Invisible for long periods in the game Mount - Not a good game for him but he did take a lot of clattering. Head//shoulder/arm injury then the leg injury. Lawrence - a couple of flashes but that was it Waghorn - ran about a lot but to no great effect Wilson - put himself about to no avail and showed yet again that, in a physical game, he is way too easily nudged off the ball and that will stop him becoming a top player IMO. Unless of course he beefs up Nuge had no time to make a difference and the jury is out on whether he still can make a difference. Holmes came on but didn't get into the game Bennett did OK but couldn't make the difference last night I reckon we had two good chances last night. First half Wilson got a chance, played the ball with his left and then pulled a left foot shot wide. His huge preference for his left was the problem. IMO he ought to have done one of two things. Either hit it first time with his left or take it on his left and hit it with his right. In both situations aiming towards the left hand post. The other was a great chest down from Bennett to Lawrence whose shot forced the keeper into conceding a corner. On to Saturday. FL will ring the changes IMO. He should. Why? Because Bolton will play the same physical game that Blackburn did. That Millwall did twice. That Rotherham did at their place. etc etc.

As usual a very fair, constructive and balanced review. However, I don't see it as simply being 'put off' by aggressive tactics, I see it as having no heart, no inner pride and no sheer bloody mindedness of wanting to earn respect by not being intimidated!
It goes back to what you look for in a player, what his character is, is he up for the fight, can he look at the fans after a game and know, despite the result, the fans will thank him for his input. Frank thinks pretty will win the day, not in this league!!
In another thread we talk about BC, well PT found the players and then Brian searched their souls to see what they were really made of! Wilson is weak, lacks power and is easily brushed aside! The opposition ain't gonna sit back and watch him play!! Now a certain McGovern was no 'Terminator', he looked like a schoolboy on the pitch but he harried, chased and generally annoyed the opposition despite being clouted many times, oh and he was bloody skilful!
That disgrace last night exposed that this team has no heart or backbone when fighting from the trenches, yes they can fire the gun but you need bollocks to earn that right.
I hope Frank stays but he sure as hell needs to learn about what Mackay had barrel loads of and players like Van der Laan oozed!

Latest Rams News