The Big Vital Lincoln City World Cup 2018 Thread! | Page 14 | Vital Football

The Big Vital Lincoln City World Cup 2018 Thread!

Ahem... and with due credit to devonexlondinimp....

Aguerro (and Otamendi),once they leave the Premier League environment....mostly pub teams and step onto the big international arena, look wanting against world class opposition

VAR can work in a similar way to rugby where you hear the ref talking directly to the video booth to clarify things. That works smoothly and quickly. Having the ref amble over to the side of the pitch is a bit of a nonsense

I've noticed that some of the VAR decisions are being made by those watching. There was a mistaken yellow card today and one of the numerous penalties was given purely by the ref getting an earpiece confirmation that it was inside the box ( Salah one if memory serves). So I've got to say that it's getting better.

It's never going to be 100% though as evidenced by Australia's penalty today which is still being debated hours after the event, but on the whole I'm quietly impressed with how they are starting to adapt to it

Serbia's big lad, Mitrovic, gets the same help from the ref as big Matt.
If VAR and the ref couldn't see 2 players dragging one his size down in plain sight in the box, it's time to give in.
Edit - booked later for complaining after a soft one goes against him!

Last edited:
Serbia's big lad, Mitrovic, gets the same help from the ref as big Matt.
If VAR and the ref couldn't see 2 players dragging one his size down in plain sight in the box, it's time to give in.
Edit - booked later for complaining after a soft one goes against him!

Clearly the problem with the Serbian approach is that they have no plan B and when opponents work out Mitrovich they look one dimensional... :LOL:

Has anyone tried using the bbc vr app? Fun watching from behind the goal. And more apparent how quick the game is, seeing the runs from ground level.

Can't believe Newcastle don't play Mitrovic. He's such a handful.

Germany were pretty poor again tonight.

One of my favourite little games is translating the names of Spanish players into their English equivalents to make them less exotic sounding.

The Colombian Juan Cuadrado translates as John Square. How I wish they'd made him Captain when Falcao went off - it would have helped the Dads Army theme no end.

Oh my goodness me, just watching the Spain and Portugal games and if anyone now thinks that VAR is a good thing for the game you must be insane. If VAR continues it will ruin this great game. Nearly every major decision had to be made by VAR and that's all the game becomes. Replays in slo-mo. Taking every ounce of human touch from the game. Every decision being questioned with a player or manager drawing a TV with their fingers asking for a review. I cannot honestly believe it is happening. Very, very sad.

Agree 100% a truly dismal display. Let's just accept refs make errors and that they even out over time.

Ok, but in what way would it have evened out over time if, for example, Spain had gone out because that last minute goal had been incorrectly disallowed?