The Big Vital Lincoln City World Cup 2018 Thread! | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Big Vital Lincoln City World Cup 2018 Thread!

Dzyuba..............not quite got Rheadys combover but good striker................delighted the Russians are doing well...always makes a better tournament when the hosts play well

Think i overheard Rheady say in an interview, one of his cousins was in the Russian squad and he has a desire to come to the uk to play,but he had set his heart on being based in the Cleethorpes area.

Half fit Salah basically carrying a really average Egypt was quite hard to watch. Russia look decent but will be interesting when they play Uruguay to try and assess if they've got much about them.

Japan are decent but Senegal have at least three £30/40m+ players (Mane/Koulibaly/Balde Diao) and aren't any good?

Although teams from hotter climates to tend to struggle in European tournaments, I would say 1) when you look at the south american/african teams, a vastly higher percentage play in Europe than they ever did before, 2) European teams always tended to struggle in tournaments outside of Europe (Japan/Korea 2002, Mexico 86, Arg 78, Mexico 70, Chile 62). Trend reversed last two, I would say increasingly globalised world/interconnections/players playing against each other regularly makes huge difference. 3) world cups generally are a tiny sample size.
The Japanese have a very good team ethic and always have. The sum of their parts will always be more.

1) yes but look at opening results - Argentina draw against Iceland, Brazil draw against Switzerland, Peru lose to Denmark, Colombia lose to Japan. The players may play in Europe but are the coaches using tactics more adapted to South America?

2) The 7-1 was a shock result. No question. Of course the German’s may still have won if Neymar had played and the Brazilians hadn’t completely flopped. Without that we have an all South American final. The trend then would not have changed as much as you’re suggesting.
In 2014 only Germany were European teams who knocked out South American teams in knockout rounds.
No African team made the quarter finals.
I would suggest that 2014 was more the German’s are an exception than the trend changing at the moment.

The Japanese have a very good team ethic and always have. The sum of their parts will always be more.

1) yes but look at opening results - Argentina draw against Iceland, Brazil draw against Switzerland, Peru lose to Denmark, Colombia lose to Japan. The players may play in Europe but are the coaches using tactics more adapted to South America?

2) The 7-1 was a shock result. No question. Of course the German’s may still have won if Neymar had played and the Brazilians hadn’t completely flopped. Without that we have an all South American final. The trend then would not have changed as much as you’re suggesting.
In 2014 only Germany were European teams who knocked out South American teams in knockout rounds.
No African team made the quarter finals.
I would suggest that 2014 was more the German’s are an exception than the trend changing at the moment.

On 1, surely that's not a massively defensible position! Germany lost to Mexico (!) in direct contradiction, France were awful against Australia and pretty jammy to win the game, and Peru absolutely battered Denmark and missed a pen haha, Japan isn't even in Europe for your theory and they played 10 for 88 minutes haha, without Colombia's best player (James). Surely there's more to it than climate!

On 2, that's just revisionism as you could make the same comments about pretty much every world cup, if X hadn't thumped Y! Also only Germany knocked out a South American team at that tournament... there were only four games, Germany knocking out Brazil and Argentina, Argentina winning on pens (!) against Holland and Argentina beating Belgium, which was with the bookies anyway. Not exactly conclusive! If you throw in Holland beating two central American teams in knockouts too...

I get it's a reasonable theory but it's not clear in recent tournaments and extremely simplistic. Was a reason Brazil were bookies favourites before the tournament even in the face of it...

On 1, surely that's not a massively defensible position! Germany lost to Mexico (!) in direct contradiction, France were awful against Australia and pretty jammy to win the game, and Peru absolutely battered Denmark and missed a pen haha, Japan isn't even in Europe for your theory and they played 10 for 88 minutes haha, without Colombia's best player (James). Surely there's more to it than climate!

On 2, that's just revisionism as you could make the same comments about pretty much every world cup, if X hadn't thumped Y! Also only Germany knocked out a South American team at that tournament... there were only four games, Germany knocking out Brazil and Argentina, Argentina winning on pens (!) against Holland and Argentina beating Belgium, which was with the bookies anyway. Not exactly conclusive! If you throw in Holland beating two central American teams in knockouts too...

I get it's a reasonable theory but it's not clear in recent tournaments and extremely simplistic. Was a reason Brazil were bookies favourites before the tournament even in the face of it...
Ok so Asian beating South American doesn’t count but North American beating Europe does?
In terms of James, you can’t blame Japan for that. The red card was the Colombians decision and deserved. So that argument doesn’t work.

Brazil are one of the favourites but we’ll see over the next month how that goes. Hopefully a rematch against Germany to see if that 7-1 was shock or not.

Game on RasenImp

I thought the commentators, etc were being rather unkind about the Egyptian who scored the own goal - even if he was a little overweight they shouldn't have kept calling him what they did.

Ok so Asian beating South American doesn’t count but North American beating Europe does?
In terms of James, you can’t blame Japan for that. The red card was the Colombians decision and deserved. So that argument doesn’t work.

Brazil are one of the favourites but we’ll see over the next month how that goes. Hopefully a rematch against Germany to see if that 7-1 was shock or not.

Game on RasenImp

Haha, my point is more you can't say Carlos Sanchez has handled the ball because it's too cold or he doesn't like playing in Europe. He played 50 times for Villa!

I also think Asian/South American is a dubious distinction (how well have Asian teams done in any world cups, excluding 2002 as hosts!) when it's clearly Europe v South America. Mexico also owe a lot more of their footballing culture to South America than they do say, the USA. If it's climate that's the issue you can't claim Mexico is cold haha.

Anyway I digress. Argentina can't defend and Brazil didn't look superb against the Swiss, but I would argue neither are because the world cup is in Russia as opposed to being outside of Europe (is Russia really a proper European world cup anyway)!

And of course it’s a thin Theory and there is more.

And of course it’s a thin Theory and there is more.

My theory would be that it used to be an issue, isn't anymore and if a European team wins then that's not correlation = causation. But I guess we'll never know, and it's kind of interesting!

This time I think the European teams are probably stronger anyway, only really Brazil as a threat (surely Argentina can't win it with their defenders/keeper). At a push Uruguay, but nothing after their first 11, and that's got one or two average players in it.

Haha, my point is more you can't say Carlos Sanchez has handled the ball because it's too cold or he doesn't like playing in Europe. He played 50 times for Villa!

I also think Asian/South American is a dubious distinction (how well have Asian teams done in any world cups, excluding 2002 as hosts!) when it's clearly Europe v South America. Mexico also owe a lot more of their footballing culture to South America than they do say, the USA. If it's climate that's the issue you can't claim Mexico is cold haha.

Anyway I digress. Argentina can't defend and Brazil didn't look superb against the Swiss, but I would argue neither are because the world cup is in Russia as opposed to being outside of Europe (is Russia really a proper European world cup anyway)!
We’ll see this tournament what happens.
But at the moment Brazil drew with Switzerland and Argentina drew with Iceland and Peru lost to Denmark.
I predict an all European final with Colombia and Peru not getting out the group stage and Argentina and Brazil not impressing either.

But we will see.

Could easy get Brazil/Germany in the round of 16 now, by the way. Hell of a game that would be at this stage.

My theory would be that it used to be an issue, isn't anymore and if a European team wins then that's not correlation = causation. But I guess we'll never know, and it's kind of interesting!

This time I think the European teams are probably stronger anyway, only really Brazil as a threat (surely Argentina can't win it with their defenders/keeper). At a push Uruguay, but nothing after their first 11, and that's got one or two average players in it.
Oh yeah I forgot Uruguay. I do also expect Russia to beat them.
Spain to knock out Uruguay. 2nd round.
Argentina knocked out by France. 2nd round.
Brazil knocked out by Belgium. Quarter Finals.

I do wonder if it is the coaches. Argentina and Sampaoli will be a good test of that compared to Brazil and Tite.

My theory would be that a series of factors cause South American teams to do worse in Europe.

Climate, managers, tactics, weak defences all play a part of course. There will be more. Naturally I would expect this gap to close but I don’t think disappear.

My theory would be that a series of factors cause South American teams to do worse in Europe.

Climate, managers, tactics, weak defences all play a part of course. There will be more. Naturally I would expect this gap to close but I don’t think disappear.

Surely weak defences, tactics and manager are a factor that plays a part at any world cup regardless of where it is, and how do you explain climate when all eleven of Brazil's first team for example, play in Europe and many play in England?

(I appreciate we could go round in circles now!)

Surely weak defences, tactics and manager are a factor that plays a part at any world cup regardless of where it is, and how do you explain climate when all eleven of Brazil's first team for example, play in Europe and many play in England?

(I appreciate we could go round in circles now!)
Yeah I think it is best that we just watch it out. Mostly for everyone else on this forums sake. And also I may turn mean. I was lying awkwardly and I think I pulled a muscle or broke a rib and now i’m in pain and may turn mean because of it.

Yeah I think it is best that we just watch it out. Mostly for everyone else on this forums sake. And also I may turn mean. I was lying awkwardly and I think I pulled a muscle or broke a rib and now i’m in pain and may turn mean because of it.

:lol: oh dear. Get well soon!