The Big Vital Lincoln City World Cup 2018 Thread! | Page 10 | Vital Football

The Big Vital Lincoln City World Cup 2018 Thread!

If it directly results in a goal which impacts the game, it should be subject to review. I thought the VAR panel had the right to pull the ref up for such an important & potentially game-changing decision? If it isn't, it should be.

Might get expanded to cover such things in due course but you would still have an awful lot of stoppages if, taking this incident as an example, it is reviewed all the time. Let's not forget the review still has to be done by the referee going to the TV by the pitch as they still want the ref to have the final decision.

VAR is something we will have to get used to though. It's one of those things that FIFA will make work or say that it is even when its not. It's here to stay

Japan are decent and were my favourites to win this group considering South American teams struggle in European tournaments. Why do the commentators keep saying they’re terrible, that’s Senegal in this group.

They can't change the way it is used in this tournment , to do so would open them up to all sorts of challenges about decisions in previous games. I'm afraid that we are stuck with it as is for the next 3 weeks or so.

VAR can work in a similar way to rugby where you hear the ref talking directly to the video booth to clarify things. That works smoothly and quickly. Having the ref amble over to the side of the pitch is a bit of a nonsense

It’s a bit worrying that a few people on a league 2 fans forum could improve on a system that many FIFA officials have been deliberating on for months

I particularly liked the Japanese 'keeper, who tried to fool goal-line technology, the ref VAR by wagging his finger as the ball DEFINATELY didn't cross the line!

As for VAR, the problem is that there are too few people trying to look at too many angles in too shorter time.

Sky are an example where they have about 20-25 people ready for replays during live games.

We currently have two(?) people looking at VAR.

Keep you eyes open for the Rheady clone playing up top for Russia.....he is not a patch on our legend,more like Broughton or Torpey.

he is no...22......6ft 5 ins monster,can see him bursting the onion bag tonight from a set play .....DC probably giving the guy some eyeball from the comfort of his new drum.

Japan are decent and were my favourites to win this group considering South American teams struggle in European tournaments. Why do the commentators keep saying they’re terrible, that’s Senegal in this group.

What's wrong with Senegal? Mane, Koulibaly, Gueye, Balde Diao, Badou N'Diaye who looked handy in bits when he signed for Stoke... loads of useful players!

As for VAR, the problem is that there are too few people trying to look at too many angles in too shorter time.

Sky are an example where they have about 20-25 people ready for replays during live games.

We currently have two(?) people looking at VAR.

In the picture they showed the other day there were at least 5 people in the room and I could see at least 12 screens

Nearly all of them play in Europe! In fact the whole outfield team play across England, Belgium, Italy, Germany and France!
Meh, even those names aren’t making me think as a team they’re going to go far in the tournament.

And it is a fact that teams from hotter climate do, in history, struggle in Europe tournaments

Keep you eyes open for the Rheady clone playing up top for Russia.....he is not a patch on our legend,more like Broughton or Torpey.

he is no...22......6ft 5 ins monster,can see him bursting the onion bag tonight from a set play .....DC probably giving the guy some eyeball from the comfort of his new drum.
called it again Rheady clone scores a quality goal ......no tippy tappy here launched into box and clone does a top job on bursting onion bag.....dc sign him up?

Dzyuba..............not quite got Rheadys combover but good striker................delighted the Russians are doing well...always makes a better tournament when the hosts play well

Meh, even those names aren’t making me think as a team they’re going to go far in the tournament.

And it is a fact that teams from hotter climate do, in history, struggle in Europe tournaments

Japan are decent but Senegal have at least three £30/40m+ players (Mane/Koulibaly/Balde Diao) and aren't any good?

Although teams from hotter climates to tend to struggle in European tournaments, I would say 1) when you look at the south american/african teams, a vastly higher percentage play in Europe than they ever did before, 2) European teams always tended to struggle in tournaments outside of Europe (Japan/Korea 2002, Mexico 86, Arg 78, Mexico 70, Chile 62). Trend reversed last two, I would say increasingly globalised world/interconnections/players playing against each other regularly makes huge difference. 3) world cups generally are a tiny sample size.