The best signing of | Vital Football

The best signing of

Colloccini was a good buy

Demba Ba we got on a free

Cisse for £10m

Cabaye was cheap

How much was Ben Arfa?

Didn't Ben Arfa just turn up, wanting to play? I remember that Friday night when Spiderman posted a picture of him at Newcastle airport :grinning:

Last edited:
This is actually a brilliant question for many reasons.

Personally I thought I wouldn't have any real 'heroes' as such because I look back fondly at all the players we had before Ashley was here and more often than not it reminded you of better days but since Ashley has gone, there are various players that stand out.

My most skillful and best to watch is Ben Arfa. I often wonder how he would have performed in a different era, under a different manager or owner.

You could highlight the many 'purples' who were sold the conveyor belt, fattened up and sold off at the market for a profit in Cabaye, Sissoko, Wijnaldum and to a lesser extent, Ayoze Perez but you could also highlight the unsung that had a bit of loyalty and left for nowt or when their time was up or will do. In that bracket you can include Colocinni, Lascelles, Shelvey or Jonas Gutierrez.

My favourite signing has a story that is quite unbelievable in that they came with a price tag, a £40m price tag, not their fault by all means, but there was a pressure to perform in a shirt that was never meant for them in the shape of the number 9.

He was then managed by people that didn't have a clue and would easily have been sold by any one of us for a price below £10m. I guarantee it this last pre-season.

Now, under a manager that has a clue, this same player has been transformed into exceeding what we thought was a massively inflated shady transfer fee and turning his value far greater than any purple we've had in the past. His story is excellent and mirrors the feel good factor surrounding Newcastle United since the takeover. It's Joelinton.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/latest-videos/joelinton-these-fans-are-the-best-in-the-world/

The Joelinton spotlight actually brings you on to another excellent question. Is he the best number 7 since Keegan?

Me answering this first in that it's a toss up between him and Rob Lee but with Joelinton still having potentially 4 or 5 more years here, he could walk it if we reach our potential. Other notable mentions include Keiron Dyer (for one season), Jenas and Moussa Sissoko.

The Joelinton spotlight actually brings you on to another excellent question. Is he the best number 7 since Keegan?

Me answering this first in that it's a toss up between him and Rob Lee but with Joelinton still having potentially 4 or 5 more years here, he could walk it if we reach our potential. Other notable mentions include Keiron Dyer (for one season), Jenas and Moussa Sissoko.

Currently no he isn't . As you say Rob Lee was better over a longer period and didn't Gascoigne wear 7 ? We've had a great 6 ish months out of Joelinton but he's got a long way to go .

Reactions: Rza
His best signing was a manager ....it was Benitez . His appointment brought the attention of Staveley and co and led to our rescue from the doledrums that Rafa himself helped perpetuate.

Gascoigne was 8. But Wijnaldum and Sissoko, good players that they were, should not be mentioned in the same breath as Rob Lee.

If we're talking managers and achievements under Ashley, only one.......Pards 😉

My mind must be playing tricks on me could have sworn I saw him play in 7 in 85/86 also didn't Terry Mac wear it sometimes in that 83/84 season ?

Wouldn't have wijnaldum back near the place. Followed the money his whole career including psg when he turned down Barca. Then sulked because he couldn't get on. No thanks. Always blew hot and cold anyway

Dwight Gayle was a decent signing. Wouldn't have renewed his contract but his goals got us out of the championship.