The best player ever to play for Wigan Athletic? | Page 2 | Vital Football

The best player ever to play for Wigan Athletic?

10years ago today we beat West Ham 3-2.
So there has to be a special mention for a player who was a major factor in us staying up that season - Connor Salmon.

Apologies, I meant Charles N'Zogbia.

Class player but a textbook example of the grass is never always greener, sadly many players got too big for their boots and thought they deserved better than Wigan, the club that gave them a second chance. Valencia is the only player I can think of who really went to the next level after leaving us

Class player but a textbook example of the grass is never always greener, sadly many players got too big for their boots and thought they deserved better than Wigan, the club that gave them a second chance. Valencia is the only player I can think of who really went to the next level after leaving us

I think you could say James McArthur stepped up and has had a good career in the Prem

Given that he played for both Liverpool and Chelsea, Moses definitely went to the next level, but in comparison to Valencia, his light burnt out quite quickly.

McCarthy had a superb season (or two?) at Everton, and Auld Mac has certainly never let anyone down, but no-one else comes close to Valencia's 10 years with Utd, medals galore with them, and 99 international caps.

Given that he played for both Liverpool and Chelsea, Moses definitely went to the next level, but in comparison to Valencia, his light burnt out quite quickly.

McCarthy had a superb season (or two?) at Everton, and Auld Mac has certainly never let anyone down, but no-one else comes close to Valencia's 10 years with Utd, medals galore with them, and 99 international caps.

Moses was definitely another, although had abit of dry spell just after leaving us, as for McCarthy I felt like, although he was playing regularly at the time at Everton under Bobby, he did not perform at the level he did when at Wigan. Let's hope we find a few more Valencia's!

Behave mon...James Mac absolute top player. Top quality and would certainly be around my best ever X1's.

What are you on about? I said he did not improve or go to the next level after leaving us. He was good for us, and he is good for palace. But it's not like he kicked on and did so well to be playing regularly at a top 8 side!

What are you on about? I said he did not improve or go to the next level after leaving us. He was good for us, and he is good for palace. But it's not like he kicked on and did so well to be playing regularly at a top 8 side!
The fact that he is still a regular starter for a Premier League team in 2020/21 suggests that he has very much kicked on when considering the vastly superior standard of the top flight today compared to 10 years ago. He's had a magnificent career has McArthur.

No former Wigan player has ever won the Champions League, although Reece James has a chance to change that. Tony Valencia, Victor Moses, Roy Carroll, Tom Cleverley and Marc Albrighton are the only five to have won the Premier League although counting Albrighton would be cheating really as he only started a few games for us. The first two have also won the Europa League.

I refuse to count Scott Carson even if Pep fixes it so he gets a Prem winners medal this season.

The fact that he is still a regular starter for a Premier League team in 2020/21 suggests that he has very much kicked on when considering the vastly superior standard of the top flight today compared to 10 years ago. He's had a magnificent career has McArthur.

Well said and correct.

Can see where you are coming from but it's not what I'm referring too.