The best player ever to play for Wigan Athletic? | Vital Football

The best player ever to play for Wigan Athletic?

He was a great servant to the club and had a wonderful career after he left. Talented, hard working and never heard anyone say a bad word about him.

He had plenty of highlights but personally i think his best moment was ripping Villa apart away in a game that sealed survival under Bruce.

All the best to him in his retirement

Was great to watch a winger. Shame we dont use them anymore. Good player but let himself down too often with his final ball.

Definitely top 3 but sadly let himself down a bit when he did a theatrical dive when he came back with United and got roundly booed thereafter!!But definite top 3 player for me

My apologies to all ... I didn't really mean the topic to be a general question. It was meant to be a direct reference to Valencia ..... but I can see that's not the way it comes across.

Given the digression though, I suppose Melchiot would need to be in there too.

What a player he was. Watching the likes of him and Wilson in the same team was a privilege. You never really appreciate what you see at the time when watching Latics until it’s gone because it’s hard to think about the future during a match. Brucey built some team though for us back then. You had to be bloody good to get the better of us on our patch. Memories to cherish.

The glyph at the end of the sentence says its a question, so do we carry on with our nominations or not?
Up to you mate. Any response is valid.

I was (meant to be) paying tribute to who I think is the best player ever to play for us (for the reasons I mentioned).

If folk want to opine that someone else is better, that's perfectly fine by me.

My apologies to all ... I didn't really mean the topic to be a general question. It was meant to be a direct reference to Valencia ..... but I can see that's not the way it comes across.

Given the digression though, I suppose Melchiot would need to be in there too.
I reckon he oozed class, confidence, versatility and is my choice as a best ever. Probably with best meaning best he tops them all.

Palacios deserves a mention, could have gone right to the top of he didn't suffer the sad and unfortunate events during his career

I think you are correct with AV in terms of the modern game, however there are some of us who remember players from the 60's and 70's with fond memories and would certainly see them as candidates.
Don't get me wrong TB, some of my favourite players are also from days of yore (;)) ..... Hinnigan, Methven, Gore, Houghton, Kelly, Campbell ...... but that's why I tried to put a definition around "best".

I don't think that there's any question that our favourite players from the days of NPL or when we first entered the old 4th division don't bear any comparison - in terms of ability, skill, or achievement - with the stars of our Premier League days.

That said, they'll always remain our favourites.
(y)

Don't get me wrong TB, some of my favourite players are also from days of yore (;)) ..... Hinnigan, Methven, Gore, Houghton, Kelly, Campbell ...... but that's why I tried to put a definition around "best".

I don't think that there's any question that our favourite players from the days of NPL or when we first entered the old 4th division don't bear any comparison - in terms of ability, skill, or achievement - with the stars of our Premier League days.

That said, they'll always remain our favourites.
(y)

I suppose it's how you quantify "best".

No doubt that AV was the best player we had in the PL days, his skill and ability were beyond doubt. In my opinion however, for the league we were in, Harry Lyon was probably the best player I ever saw. His movement and technique were fantastic for a player at that level.

I doubt he would ever have made the PL but in my young eyes, at that time , he was a genius.

I suppose it's how you quantify "best".

No doubt that AV was the best player we had in the PL days, his skill and ability were beyond doubt. In my opinion however, for the league we were in, Harry Lyon was probably the best player I ever saw. His movement and technique were fantastic for a player at that level.

I doubt he would ever have made the PL but in my young eyes, at that time , he was a genius.

Taking the emotion out of it, I think the key phrases there TB are "for the league we were in" and "at that level".

That's why someone like Powell could be in the mix too ... even Reece James (RB, not LB !).

Even Archie Gemmill for the short time he was with us.

Taking the emotion out of it, I think the key phrases there TB are "for the league we were in" and "at that level".

That's why someone like Powell could be in the mix too ... even Reece James (RB, not LB !).

Even Archie Gemmill for the short time he was with us.

I agree, and hence, why I believe it is impossible to say who is the "best" player to play for us. There are just too many variables, I think we can all agree though that Antonio Valencia was a joy to watch and a very exciting player to have in your side.