The best penalty taker: Sam Ellis or John Akinde? | Page 2 | Vital Football

The best penalty taker: Sam Ellis or John Akinde?

Don’t know his stats, don’t actually think he took that many, but I still did always love a Paul Mayo pen, he absolutely rifled them.

I remember Jamie Forrester grabbing the ball off him, was it at Scunthorpe or Barnet?

Why do we think it's taking so long for JA to get a little bit more found out (e.g, goalkeepers not moving?) The MK keeper wasn't far off and tried to show him one way and go the other to an extent, but there have been one or two (I think Bury) where the keeper just flew off in one direction early?

He's been consistent with penalties for a while so it blows my mind a bit that keepers are still committing.

The keeper went the right way at the right moment away at Stevenage but he still squeezed it past him.

From Rothmans Yearbooks, in the seasons Sam Ellis played for City:

1973/74 - Nil. Dixie McNeil was the penalty taker that season (and only scored 2)

1974/75 - 10 penalties scored in League and FA Cup

1975/76 - 10 penalties scored in League, FA Cup and League Cup. As 57harry says, he missed one against Bradford City but made up for it by heading in a free kick later on.

1976/77 - 8 penalties scored in League, FA Cup and League Cup. If I remember right he missed a penalty in the penalty shoot-out in the League Cup replay with Doncaster played at the City Ground. As far as I know that was his only other miss.

So a total of 28 in all competitions with, I believe, only one miss in normal play.
I saw both of his misses - that 2-2 draw against Donny was a cracker of a game. For me though, it has to be JA. As Woodis says, all 'keepers are now able to study video analysis of all the penalty takers they face.

Don’t know his stats, don’t actually think he took that many, but I still did always love a Paul Mayo pen, he absolutely rifled them.
There's a reason Paul Bastock is bald. It was that penalty Mayo smashed in just above his head - took his hair with it in the jet stream. He didn't even move it was hit that hard. Good job it wasn't a couple of feet lower or it would have been an ambulance job.

Just under 70% about that I thought and would have thought Power and Tomlinson (similar era) would about that too.

I remember feeling very confident every time big Sam stepped up to the spot. I feel very nervous when John Akinde does the same.

But the stats don't lie, John's record is very good, both styles seem equally successful so difficult to compare

I do wonder though whether John's style will be as successful in league 1. It'll be interesting to see how it looks this time next season