The Ashley Young Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Ashley Young Thread

opening day last season , i knew then he was done at this level. A wise head but no pace , ball control has been questionable at times too. In hindsight i think it was a sentimental signing rather than a sensible one, i guess thats what happens when a fan gets the managers job.

It was a no from me when he arrived last season and I saw nothing from him to make me change my mind. It's a no from me again if he's offered an extension to his playing contract. I get some of the sentimentality towards him certainly for the first three quarters of his previous Villa career, but if we're serious about making real progress we need to be doing better than young. I'd be very surprised if any team in the top 17 of the pl last season went for him if released, and I certainly can't see any of top 10 being interested, where we're hoping to aspire to.

I agree but this is also a concern when we are fawning over players in Italy when Ashley had just played in a team that won Serie A. I'm no sure half the players in Italy would make top 10 sides in England these days

I cant see us spending big money on another LB having just got Digne in, so keeping Young for another season isnt the worst idea. Aaron Hickey who we've been linked with is likely to cost close to £20m, as there seems to be a bit of competition for him. The ideal will be that Chrisene can progress enough to cover, or possibly Hayden-Kesler can play left side too.

And the rest who Gerrard is likely to sign.

Well I'll worry about that if and when we sign them. If Suarez was happening surely he would have signed by now as he's on a free and as far as I'm aware we've not been linked with any other 30 or over players.

He will be good for the dressing room however, he seemed to get caught out a lot playing full-back last season so room for improvement on last seasons showing for me.