The Ashley Young Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Ashley Young Thread

You rang?

It was a slightly tongue in cheek reference that he'll likely be an old school utility player for us. LB, RB, wherever in midfield.

Steve Watson always did a job.

Class and character unquestionable. It's all about when his legs finally go.

Bit concerned about a 36 year old playing full back if that's the idea. Some right nippy wingers out there

Everything will come with the clarification "it's Italy" but he doesn't seem to have lost much pace. It looks like he has pretty much kept himself in top condition much like Cavani. Plenty of highlights of him blowing past people himself. Anyway for a defender its always going to be about positioning and anticipation. Thats why Chiellini is still captain of Italy.

Allegedly Watford were also after him too.

I think signing Ash has freed up two extra places on the bench for, as he covers all 4 wide positions.
What I have noticed, (I was bored) is that he's gone from playing an Average of 89 mins with us to about 70 mins for Man Utd and about 50/55 mins for Inter this is how the top clubs operate, this is how they keep players at the top of their games by managing the playing time. Ash has only played the equivalent of about 12 league games last season despite the 26 appearances.

I think a bigger squad will allow us to do this with Jack SJM Targett Watkins Mings and anyone else who plays every minute of every game.
We need to start behaving like a big club

I think signing Ash has freed up two extra places on the bench for, as he covers all 4 wide positions.
What I have noticed, (I was bored) is that he's gone from playing an Average of 89 mins with us to about 70 mins for Man Utd and about 50/55 mins for Inter this is how the top clubs operate, this is how they keep players at the top of their games by managing the playing time. Ash has only played the equivalent of about 12 league games last season despite the 26 appearances.

I think a bigger squad will allow us to do this with Jack SJM Targett Watkins Mings and anyone else who plays every minute of every game.
We need to start behaving like a big club

Very sensible comment, fully agree .. Great signing who will play a big part of our season, be it for 20 minutes or 60minutes. He'll get his game time though thats for sure!

Only 3 teams in the Prem that were interested in him, all from the bottom half. Watford, where he started out and just got promoted, Burnley whose only ambition is to stay in the league and us.

Only 3 teams in the Prem that were interested in him, all from the bottom half. Watford, where he started out and just got promoted, Burnley whose only ambition is to stay in the league and us.
We lack ambition, sack the board and the manager.

The last I can remember was Andy Gray.
Bought him from Dundee Utd-£110k
Sold him to Wolves-£2,7million
Bought him from Everton-£270k

Wasn't Steve Staunton was the last time we did it, went to the dippers, they loaned him to palace then we bought him back no?

Sid came back as well , but that would have been before Staunton.
I think Sid came back twice if memory serves. Came back during the GT era and played with Platt, then went off to play for Dalglish at Blackburn, then BFR brought him back in.....
Andy Gray had three spells with us too. During his third spell he disguised himself as a black Englishman from London....

I can’t see him as a starter unless we’ve been hit by injuries but bringing him on with 20 minutes to play and needing an old head to help steer us to a win makes sense.