The Ashley Young Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Ashley Young Thread

Think this has taken most of us by surprise from rumours to signing within a couple of days. A cracking piece of business, on a free and guess his wage wont be too far away from the combined wage of Taylor and Elmo so a bit of a no brainier really. His versatility is the big plus for me and in his interview, it‘s refreshing to hear a 36 year old with so much enthusiasm, he’s certainly not returning just for a final few quid before finishing is he?! Two very decent additions to the squad….keep ‘em coming Mr Lange!

What a huge surprise this is. Not even a thought in anyone’s mind.

Firstly, An absolutely brilliant player for us in the past. Top class and another one who got unfair stick from some for having the damn cheek to leave us and win …err… league titles when there was zero chance of winning anything with us . Never once had a bad word about him for leaving.

As for the now. Not sure there is anything not to like. I am normally saying never go back but this hasn’t got that type of feeling for me. Top pro, still clearly class as he has just played 34 games for Inter across the league , coppa and champs league last season.

But the biggie for me is that according to reports he was twice offered a contract by Inter to stay next season. So we have a top class player on our books here. Yes he may not play week in week out but he might…Experience , low risk as one season contract and he loves us !.

Does say that Trez is out long term though which is a blow?.

I can't see him playing every game, he's definitely a filler signing who adds good nous to a young team and we've basically given ourselves a left back, right back, both wide midfield roles plus potentially through the middle - so it's more than simply replacing Trez, Elmo and Taylor.

I'm not sure he could do it in the PL, but wasn't there times he's played defensive midfield as well in recent years?

And no, I saw the sense in this the other day but I did not expect it to happen.

But the biggie for me is that according to reports he was twice offered a contract by Inter to stay next season. So we have a top class player on our books here. Yes he may not play week in week out but he might…Experience , low risk as one season contract and he loves us !.

Does say that Trez is out long term though which is a blow?.

Strong talk of Inter wanting him, so he wanted to return to England - Burnley far down the line as well apparently, but once he knew our interest the deal was just done, which shows he wants to come back to us as well which is an extra bonus. Arguably, he'd probably get more game time at Burnley and possibly a higher wage (factoring in playing bonuses), so this feels like 'unfinished business'.

Re Trez, he's out for at least 12 months with that injury, so best case we'd have maybe seen him returning to fitness for the last month or two tops. Short of cameos for confidence, next season is over for him really.

no harm having a winner in the dressing room. He won't play every game but it's overall what he can bring to the group. Plus we can replay the 5-1 goals over and over again now . Happy days

Strong talk of Inter wanting him, so he wanted to return to England - Burnley far down the line as well apparently, but once he knew our interest the deal was just done, which shows he wants to come back to us as well which is an extra bonus. Arguably, he'd probably get more game time at Burnley and possibly a higher wage (factoring in playing bonuses), so this feels like 'unfinished business'.

Re Trez, he's out for at least 12 months with that injury, so best case we'd have maybe seen him returning to fitness for the last month or two tops. Short of cameos for confidence, next season is over for him really.
Yep, Ash could have easily taken a year at Burnley living it large and with little expectation on his shoulders to deliver anything of note. Instead he has chosen to come back to a Club with genuine aspirations of finishing in Europe and wants to play a big part of reaching that goal. Says everything about his character and attitude. Can't wait to hear the fans sing his name at VP once more.

Unless full backs are injured i predict.
Berty starts. Subbed by young on 70 minutes each game.
Well I've been moaning like hell about El ghastly this year... And rightly so. Just not good enough... So now he is ours I am happy.

Yep, Ash could have easily taken a year at Burnley living it large and with little expectation on his shoulders to deliver anything of note. Instead he has chosen to come back to a Club with genuine aspirations of finishing in Europe and wants to play a big part of reaching that goal. Says everything about his character and attitude. Can't wait to hear the fans sing his name at VP once more.

Yes, he'd have quickly become Mr Burnley but no one would've expected him to completely carry them.

He's not Mr Aston Villa with us, not even in the way he was before. He's got massive credit in the bank, but no fan really will be expecting him to start ahead of Ollie, Jack, McGinn in the fan love stakes.

He comes in knowing at best he's fourth favourite (maybe lower now?) so to speak but with real expectations to perform - his past counts for nothing if he's not performing. At Burnley, his past would continue to buy him credit.

That tells me it's not money, it's still about the challenge and he believes he can make a telling difference.

I'll take that.

we probably offered similar or more wages too than Burnley, not sure if he still has property up Alderley Edge but either way he can commute to either but he will get better football at villa rather than getting neck ache in burnley