The Ashley Young Thread | Page 21 | Vital Football

The Ashley Young Thread

Good luck to him. 38 years old, still doing it in the PL. He served with honour for the past two seasons.
Yep, agree, and part of me is glad that we're not going to see him get turned inside out and embarrassed once he can no longer do it. He's done remarkably to keep his fitness, speed and agility this long but eventually old father time catches up with us all. Good luck to him wherever he ends up and hope to see him at Villa in a coaching role in the future.

Definitely shows how far we have come as a club and also where Everton are currently, with us letting him go and being Everton’s first signing under Dyche. He must of been on a very decent salary as well - fully deserved by the way. No doubt that will go towards all these new improved terms to existing players

My own thoughts on Ashley are that his lack of pace had started to show as getting older finally caught up with him and this was being exploited by other teams who were targeting him at full-back.

He ended up using his experience to try and get himself out of trouble and into better positions.

Nevertheless, I was sorry to see him go as he was a good pro for the club and good at winding up the opposition.

Releasing him was the correct decision in my humble.

Taking away all the emotion yes you're right. He would have been brilliant to have but he wants to play and so it just wouldn't have worked. As brilliant as he was for us we can't be challenging top 6 / top 4 and allow him to play 20-odd games.

It's rough, I would have loved for him to win a trophy with us.

Well thousands clapped him and the team for their efforts as they paraded round the pitch after the Brighton game so I guess that was his send off. A brilliant professional, will always be loved at the Villa but I doubt whether many firm decisions had been made pre Brighton so he can’t have too many complaints.The main focus was on securing that top 7 finish and rightly so. He’ll always get a great reception whenever he returns to B6 in the future be it on the pitch or off it. The fact we decided to move him on despite his heroic efforts last season and Everton are about to sign him, says plenty about the current state of both clubs me thinks!

No room for sentiment - strange one this is seeing Young apparently cut up rough about being let go and the way it was handled. Never saw this issue when he fecked off to Man Utd. Looking the right decision to let the old timer move on to pastures new and maybe play two games a month or so.

One thing we can thank Ash for is showing us just how average Matty Cash is compared to a 38-year-old left winger playing right back. The Polish Cafu is not really up to the level we need to challenge the top 6. Neither is Ashley at 38, so I await Unai's solution

No room for sentiment - strange one this is seeing Young apparently cut up rough about being let go and the way it was handled. Never saw this issue when he fecked off to Man Utd. Looking the right decision to let the old timer move on to pastures new and maybe play two games a month or so.

I wanted Ash to stay and it’s nothing to do with sentiment. Could have made use of him this season . Not as a first choice. Not playing game after game. Brilliant to have around for a european plus 2 domestic cup season and to bring on with some know how in the premier league in certain situations.

Last edited: