THE ASHES SERIES | Page 6 | Vital Football

THE ASHES SERIES

I take no pleasure from winning money on this but the old adage applies bet with your head not your heart

Think many of the players should be told that- play with your head , not your heart/instinct
All pro sportsmen are told this aren’t they I know boxers are told not to try and get emotional during a fight footballers are told to ignore the crowd and concentrate on their jobs why all of a sudden cricketers need to be told this. The one day game and wham bam cricket has a lot to answer for

All pro sportsmen are told this aren’t they I know boxers are told not to try and get emotional during a fight footballers are told to ignore the crowd and concentrate on their jobs why all of a sudden cricketers need to be told this. The one day game and wham bam cricket has a lot to answer for
It's also the punditry and general acceptance of such failings

In the same way that football 'experts' tell us that 'he had to go down, he felt the other player' .

With cricket the equivalent is' it's the way he plays' when , as we saw today, Roy goes waltzing down the pitch in a situation that was crying out for solid, non aggressive play.

Until some of the players are sanctioned for brainless shots i.e dropped then they will keep on doing it because they keep on being picked.

It's also the punditry and general acceptance of such failings

In the same way that football 'experts' tell us that 'he had to go down, he felt the other player' .

With cricket the equivalent is' it's the way he plays' when , as we saw today, Roy goes waltzing down the pitch in a situation that was crying out for solid, non aggressive play.

Until some of the players are sanctioned for brainless shots i.e dropped then they will keep on doing it because they keep on being picked.
Having watched all the Kevin pieterson documentaries I think he has a lot to answer for too he was probably the first to do his own thing regardless of the situation and now everyone seems to do it but without having the talent he had
Whatever happened to the young un that opened in India a couple of yrs ago was touted as the new boycott and looked the part he’s disappeared without trace

Having watched all the Kevin pieterson documentaries I think he has a lot to answer for too he was probably the first to do his own thing regardless of the situation and now everyone seems to do it but without having the talent he had
Whatever happened to the young un that opened in India a couple of yrs ago was touted as the new boycott and looked the part he’s disappeared without trace
Haseeb Hameed - no real chance of success, he plays at Lancashire!

https://www.wisden.com/stories/county-cricket/curious-case-haseeb-hameed

Seems as though he has just lost 'it' , whatever it was..

You're right about KP, he was the 1st to do thaat and have others talk about it as though it was a good thing

THE arrogant bastard of all arrogant bastards.Can't stand the man, only seen glimpses of the shows about him but, for once, Goughie got it right " he fell in love with himself at 16 and he's never been unfaithful ever since"

Absolutely spot on what goughie said but he was really complimentary about him as a whole only vaughny said he shouldn’t have played again for England after txt gate and whatever you think of him he was a hell of a good captain for England (Vaughan that is not KP he was ? )

Absolutely spot on what goughie said but he was really complimentary about him as a whole only vaughny said he shouldn’t have played again for England after txt gate and whatever you think of him he was a hell of a good captain for England (Vaughan that is not KP he was ? )
Goughie loves him as a cricketer, forever on about him and particularly after the text job.

I'd back Vaughan on that judgement and he knows his cricket 100% better than he knows his football.

Be intersting to see if England make any changes . The thing is that if they drop anybody ( some are talking about giving Foakes the gloves) they will not let them play in the CC to try and get some form back.JB would be ideal for us at Scarboro v Notts . I'd definitely play Leach for Ali and Archer has to come in for Anderson.

No point giving Buttler the gloves, he can't keep wicket as well as Jonny and he's in as a bad form with the bat

Archer or stone preferably archer I’d like to see leach but the ecb is like watching a super tanker trying turn round

The worst part about today’s results is that I bet we all expected it. Too many players seriously off their red ball game, it’s alright some blaming the drag of the World Cup campaign but the Aussies seem to have come through it in decent nick. The problem is I can’t think of a solution to it as it stands, there’s a couple to bring in but too many of this squad look totally shot including Rooty.

The worst part about today’s results is that I bet we all expected it. Too many players seriously off their red ball game, it’s alright some blaming the drag of the World Cup campaign but the Aussies seem to have come through it in decent nick. The problem is I can’t think of a solution to it as it stands, there’s a couple to bring in but too many of this squad look totally shot including Rooty.
Joe was quick to dispel that as a theory GB.

The ECB really does need to look at itself. It has, through Strauss mainly, focused exclusively on the 1 day W Cup and we have won it BUT that's a once in a lifetime event and whilst it's contested every 4 years it goes nowhere near having the revenue effect ( which is their major driver) of a biennial Ashes series.

The world cup will be long forgatten when we haven't beaten Aus home or away for a decade. I keep a close eye on the cricket and, as far as I can remember Burns, Broad & Anderson are the only ones to have had more than a single game of 4/5 day cricket this season( the Ireland game some 10 days of celebration after the WC- and look at how that was going- apart)

What sort of a way is that to prepare for the biggest cricket international rivalry we engage in?

It's like Wilder playing 10 or so 5 a sides and then saying 'go on lads, it's a bit longer, it's a different ball but youll be alright, we've been great at the 5 a side stuff'.

There is no route to become or develop a real test player these days, no graft,grind and relentless pressure on a player to knuckle down and play a long, survival innings, no route to bowl 20 overs a day all day and every day.Indeed we are now curtailing the number of CC games played , down by 2 this year and next year you wont play all the teams in the league home and away , you'll play some twice and some once and don't get me started on the 100.

FFS, we've just won the W Cup and what do the ECB do to capitalise on this, to maintain the momentum? Make thedomestic 50 over comp a 2nd XI competition from next year by playing the daft 100 at the same time.

Fancy a day out next year watching a combined team of Durham and Yorks player along with a few mercenaries ,called the Northern Superchargers ( honestly) managed by Darren Lehmann playing the Oval Invincibles with a line up from Kent & Surrey and some more mercenaries at Headingley in a sort of game that the rules havn't been decided on yet?

No me neither and, seemingly, not many of the current base of county members

I'm not a big cricket fan these days, but there does seem to be a catch 22. In order to be good at Test matches (which is the pinnacle of the sport) you need to have players playing longer games 4 and 5 day. However, there is no doubt that the sport needs the revenue from the 20/20 games and the short form, especially for TV coverage.

The last county game I went to, a long time ago, didn't have 500 spectators on the first day. That's not going to pay the leccy bill, is it..? Why the Aussies can seemingly do well in long form games and short form, well I'll let you discuss it. As for the 100 ball thing, it just looks like the bastard child of a meeting of idiots that ended up in the pub.

42 years to the day since Sir Geoff became the s1t player ever to score his 100th hundred in a Test match.

Might never see a player score 100 hundreds in a career again as the amount of County cricket played is less than half of what it used to be.

Now we are back I'm less interested after losing the first test....I'm a fair weather Ashes fan, sorry.

Now we are back I'm less interested after losing the first test....I'm a fair weather Ashes fan, sorry.
So you missed the rest of the 2005 series then ?
I’ve just bought the dvd of that series and then find there’s a 2hr programme on it on sky sports on demand which I’ve now recorded and am watching on and off