THE ASHES SERIES | Page 5 | Vital Football

THE ASHES SERIES

Just checked I took 100/30 on the draw (saver bet)
Buttler survives a review luckily the umpire went with him instead of giving him out

Apart from the first half of the first day we've been shite(Burns apart).Was it poor battin by Our JOE? UTMPB

Last edited:
Apart from the first half of the first day we've been shite.Was it poor battin by Our JOE? UTMPB
Not really, he pushed forward to smother it and it bounced a bit more than others . Good reaction catch.

We ahve far too many 'might be OK on the day ' players.

Denly not really good enough, would never have got near a test side when they played more proper cricket

Ali- complete confidence melt down, put him out of his misery.

Roy - v. good one day but that's a totally different game - you only have to bat for max 50 overs and there's 10 more to come in in that short period if you fail. Bit different to 5 day cricket.

No bowlers coming through- will Archer be able to last through this much longer format?- hope so, he's the only bright star on the horizon.

I'd give jacK leach the spinners palce for a longish spell. Apart from that it's shuffling the deck chairs onthe Titanic time- all down to the ECB not supporting 4 day cricket

oy - v. good one day but that's a totally different game - you only have to bat for max 50 overs and there's 10 more to come in in that short period if you fail. Bit different to 5 day cricket.
Plus red ball completely different animal to the white one him and plenty of others need to get back in the nets and learn how,to,defend

Sky currently showing the kp series I watched them all yesterday on demand v good series

I'd give jacK leach the spinners palce for a longish spell. Apart from that it's shuffling the deck chairs onthe Titanic time- all down to the ECB not supporting 4 day cricket
Left arm spinners have more success than any other type of bowler against Steve smith for this reason alone leach should be tried for the next test over Ali

Plus red ball completely different animal to the white one him and plenty of others need to get back in the nets and learn how,to,defend
I'm not sure some of them have ever known how to defend Bully.

This stupid " its the way we play" attitude is f'in disgraceful.

As Sir Geoff once said when asked purpose of visit when going to Aus " Business "

" I thought you were here to play cricket" said the customs officer

"That is my business " said Sir Geoff!

JB has not played any proper cricket this year and here he is not being able to buy a run this year. Good luck son

I'm not sure what can be done TBH. Remember the coach leaves at the end of this summer and has been on notice for what, 18 months now, so he couldn't give a toss. Should have been paid off the day he said he was not renewing his contract.
ALL PLAYERS should be kept in nets learning how to defend- let Sir Geoff have a couple of sessions with them.

It's this stupid, 'iI'll play my shots whatever ' attitude that needs knocking ( very hard) out of them.

The other issue is who's playing currently that makes them fight for their place?

How can you not comfortably bat out the day on a flat pitch that is not offering anything to the bowlers? A complete shambles yet again.

How can you not comfortably bat out the day on a flat pitch that is not offering anything to the bowlers? A complete shambles yet again.
Because the Aussie bowlers are better .
Because they have scored enough in the 3rd innings, against a pop gun attack, to be able to attack all day.
Because our batsmen can't defend, don't value their wicket and have no credible replacements pushing for their place.

Lyon v Ali- mismatch, no contest

Pattinson v Broad - yard or so faster

Siddle v Stokes - nagging accuracy v scattergun lack of control.

You can crowd the batsmen and trust the bowler when there's plenty on the board and it's Lyon not Ali.

there's also a question, to me, about whether some of them really care. They are far too comfortable with their central contracts and have little motivation in too many cases.

Anderson survives the hat trick ball from Lyon although what he’s doin out there nobody knows #pointless