THE ASHES SERIES | Page 11 | Vital Football

THE ASHES SERIES

The one day stuff has none of the nuances that the longer form has, less , by far, of the skill needed to build an innings, set traps for batsmen etc etc. To me, and many, many othersit's a necessary diversion (for the money it generates) but the longer format is far superior for so many reasons with the Ashes being the peak rivalry in the game..

To see ( not live today) that careless,crass shot selection by so many is enough to make FS, Sir Len and so many others weep.

Cricket- a game ruined by the supposed custodians of it.

This may well be the death of Root's Captaincy, I really feel for him, he has been disrespected by some of these current players and will likely be the scapegoat for all that is wrong. The powers that be, along with the other so called experts, have been moving players around in an effort to stumble on something that works, if Buttler is such a 'Talent' then why hasn't he been elevated in the batting, it seems to me that everyone is shuffled to accommodate him, of all the players touted he has been as big a let down as anyone, but I haven't heard mention of his place being under threat, his selection for the team must be brought into question given his meagre return with the bat.

This may well be the death of Root's Captaincy, I really feel for him, he has been disrespected by some of these current players and will likely be the scapegoat for all that is wrong. The powers that be, along with the other so called experts, have been moving players around in an effort to stumble on something that works, if Buttler is such a 'Talent' then why hasn't he been elevated in the batting, it seems to me that everyone is shuffled to accommodate him, of all the players touted he has been as big a let down as anyone, but I haven't heard mention of his place being under threat, his selection for the team must be brought into question given his meagre return with the bat.
He's getting a lot of stick on social media RAB but when Cook retired he knew exactly what he was doing. He got out before an away Ashes series, to me cowardly and divisive , and he knew Joe was captain elect thus handing over a poisoned chalice whilst he stood there waatching it all crumble around Joe, knowing it should have been him.

Joe then did well as we beat SA and ,away, Sri Lanka but this is always the big one and the sacrificial altar of the WCup become the only place to worship for the heirarchy of English cricket.

That reward has now been reaped and we are seeing the results. I don't see any real alternative to Joe unless they give it to Stokes but it's like being given the captancy of the Titanic ATM.

Joe should either insists he bats whereever he wants to and has the 11 players HE wants or, if not forthcoming , stand down but I fear that he would see that as the coward's way out so might ultimately sacrifice his great talent to appease others.

Let's not forget in this he has an England coch who's been leaaving for 2 years so couldn't care less.After all, what did he say immediately before this test? "Roy's probably better in the middle order but that's not going to happen" God forbid we inconvenience the big hitter pinching a place on a misplaced. misguided reputation..

BTW Remarkable win for Yorks last night in the T rounders Durham's last 8 wkts fell for 30 as chasing 145 they were 102-2 and ended up 132 all out. a young spinner , Jack shutt, took 5-9 in his 4 overs!

I guess it depends in the main on what age you are as to which form of cricket you prefer :whist:
There's is some of that Aya but would you prefer 5 a side to the real stuff? It's that different.
BTW you (or specifically your gender) should be flattered. The ECB has 'created ' The Hundred specifically for WOMEN and children to be able to understand cricket more

Bet you find it really tough, and just a little demeaning, when you have to count to over 100. How do you cope???????????

There's is some of that Aya but would you prefer 5 a side to the real stuff? It's that different.
BTW you (or specifically your gender) should be flattered. The ECB has 'created ' The Hundred specifically for WOMEN and children to be able to understand cricket more

Bet you find it really tough, and just a little demeaning, when you have to count to over 100. How do you cope???????????

no idea what you're on about TT I'm afraid - I was being tongue in cheek

no idea what you're on about TT I'm afraid - I was being tongue in cheek
all about The Hundred, a new, shorter than T20,format the England Cricket Board are introdcucimg next year so that women and children can understand the game better- obviously they know women and children struggle to count to 6 ( number of balls in an over).

Ever felt more patronised?????

Jack shutt, took 5-9 in his 4 overs!

He’s the lad I saw in the last Yorkshire game I watched think it was his debut and he did well then he’s fresh out of school young too I think (about 17)

Jack shutt, took 5-9 in his 4 overs!

He’s the lad I saw in the last Yorkshire game I watched think it was his debut and he did well then he’s fresh out of school young too I think (about 17)
Misled you Bully, it was 5-11 by the time he'd finished! Debut against Lanky

Surprisingly, he's 22, a Barnsley lad. just shows how living there ages you - I thought he was much younger

Yes I saw his debut when we flopped against lancs I thought he was much younger 5/11 nowhere near as good figures still time for him to come good tho

And that , ladies & Gentlemen, is why Test cricket is simply the best format of the game.

Magnficent from Stokes, simply magnificent.

A sunny day in the Alps- sat inside waching cricket! Seemed a waste a t one stage but you just cannot write those sort of scripts.

Bottle, skill, attitude and all roared on by a fantastic Yorkshire crowd, knowlegeable, informed, partisan and bloody happy- aren't we all!

I’m running out of superlatives this year. Absolutely outstanding Stokesie and a big WELL DONE to our last man Will from the Inbetweeners

And that , ladies & Gentlemen, is why Test cricket is simply the best format of the game.

Magnficent from Stokes, simply magnificent.

A sunny day in the Alps- sat inside waching cricket! Seemed a waste a t one stage but you just cannot write those sort of scripts.

Bottle, skill, attitude and all roared on by a fantastic Yorkshire crowd, knowlegeable, informed, partisan and bloody happy- aren't we all!
Was it you tomy texting into TMS this afternoon, bloody brill, Stokes has more than wiped his plate clean, and young Jack Leach, take a bow young man.

Watched it at White Hart Lane where I.am temporarily seconded.....place went mad when he got that run...only thing that's made the Spurs fans happy so far :LOL:

Cant wait to watch highlights tonite.

Bet none of you did what i did,i watched the score on teletext,its torture sheer torture.

Cant wait to watch highlights tonite.

Bet none of you did what i did,i watched the score on teletext,its torture sheer torture.
I didn’t know there still was teletext Chippy but when I’m not at our game, I can only keep up with the score on the phone Apps. To listen to it would jinx us. :(

I thought it was all over when we'd lost 9 wickets and so I put the football on then I checked the score on the phone to see how much we'd lost by after about an hour and we were still batting on. I couldn’t believe it.

I said after the World Cup series that we’d hadn't and never would see a better individual performance than Beefy’s in 81. Well today I think we just have.

Last edited:
WOW WOW WOWZER,That was sport at it's finest.I started watchin it wi England needin 50 odd wi one wkt left, Stokes shot to ger out wi in't first innings was pish poor but this innings has med BIG BEN a sportin ICON,bur even after he hit that four to leave us 2 short i was convinced we were gunna lose and when Lyons missed that sitter of a run out chance to win it for the Aussies i was still convinced they were gunna do it.PHENOMINAL,ARISE SIR BEN.UTMPB

Last edited: