THE ASHES SERIES | Page 15 | Vital Football

THE ASHES SERIES

England cruise into one day mode after lunch as they continue to throw their wickets away the Aussies had to smarten up and they have
Joe been out to the same ball in 3 innings now I don’t understand how a batsman of his class hasn’t tried to rectify the problem,if he has tried it’s a pretty poor attempt
We’ll be lucky to get 260 smith and labuschagne will probably get that between them then you’ve got the rest of the teams score as a bonus it’s backs to the wall already can’t argue tho Aussies are playing far better than us

Buttler throwing the bat now definitely in one day mode looks great when it comes off doesn’t tend to last long tho doin this in test cricket

We got lucky leach sticks in there and Buttler managed to not sky or nick it 271/8 still isn’t good but we’re not done yet

Why doesn't Buttler play a couple higher in the batting order? He always seems to be throwing the bat with the tailenders. Whats he like with another batsman at the other end..?

He’s batting at 6 which is about right for him he hasn’t got the technical ability to defend which is required further up the order (neither have those currently occupying them positions by the looks of it ?‍♂️) he got lucky with a couple yesterday that flew over his stumps while he was wafting away miles away from the ball,as I said yesterday it looks great when it comes off but the majority of the time it’s a short stay at the crease. As for batting with proper batsmen I can remember one innings with stokes last season but apart from that it’s been the same old story

Let's hope that in 2 and a half years time, lessons have been learmed and we attack them with pace and short pitched hostile bowling, another Bodyline tour will do

England wrap the game up bowling the Aussies out for 263 and squaring the series if it hadn’t rained at lords we could have won the ashes but I don’t think we deserved them the Aussies were the better side or rather had the better bowling attack and a batsman on a different level to everyone else,time to make plans to regain them,winning the World Cup was great but losing the ashes makes it feel like we’ve won the FA Cup but been relegated in the same season I know how Wigan fans feel now
A sad good bye to both sir Ian and David gower who are bowing out from sky sports coverage both knowledgeable and for me excellent broadcasters
Also a sad goodbye to international cricket for this summer it’s been an extraordinary summer with great feats and fantastic moments test cricket is alive and well
Long may it last

Last edited:
He’s batting at 6 which is about right for him he hasn’t got the technical ability to defend which is required further up the order (neither have those currently occupying them positions by the looks of it ?‍♂️) he got lucky with a couple yesterday that flew over his stumps while he was wafting away miles away from the ball,as I said yesterday it looks great when it comes off but the majority of the time it’s a short stay at the crease. As for batting with proper batsmen I can remember one innings with stokes last season but apart from that it’s been the same old story
t seems as though the pundits and selectors have engineered a place for Buttler.

As I said earlier this season, he's not techically skilled enough to justify his place as a batsman ( and is an 'Iron Gloves' type of keeper) so they've got to shoehorn him in somehow.
So now Jonny B has to prove he's good enough purely as a batsman to regain selection- Smith - chief selector's own words.

That's the tail wagging the dog.

Buttler, a poorer wicketkeeper gets the goves and keeps his place as an all rounder (which is the selectors way of justifying his place in the side rather than having the balls to tell him to prove his worth as a batsman only) and JB has to fight for his place as a batsman only.

Bloody ridiculous

OK, JB's not been at his best with the bat but , somehow, it falls upon him to fight for his place whilst a 'golden boy/pundits favourite poor wicketkeeper gets the gloves and a virtually guaranteed place.