The Anwar El Ghazi Thread | Page 10 | Vital Football

The Anwar El Ghazi Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Social media at its finest :shake:

“I don’t want people to feel sorry for me because I’m a strong guy, I’m a big boy, and I’ll be fine, but you’ve asked, so I’ll explain.

“Last year, when we were almost going down, a lot of players were getting abuse. It was getting so personal that it made me feel aggressive.

“It didn’t feel right. An opinion is fine. I respect that — but one example of a message I received read: ‘I hope you die and never play for my club again’.

“When I looked on the profile and saw that it was from a season ticket holder of Aston Villa, I thought, ‘No way’. It made me really angry. Towards the end of the season, it happened again and then, after watching The Social Dilemma on Netflix, I just thought to myself, ‘Maybe I should just close down Twitter for a year’.

https://theathletic.com/2574226/202...ope-you-die-and-never-play-for-my-club-again/
(paywalled)
El Ghazi comes across as a nice and thoughtful guy. I feel a bit bad for some of my criticism but it was all performance based (especially when he seemed to just give up against Southampton (?) last year). He says himself that his inconsistency is frustrating, because when he turns up he looks like a true top half talent but when he doesn't he may as well not be there.

I keep changing my mind on whether he needs to go in the summer because he's so up and down. I don't think we can rely on him to start week in week out if we want to challenge for a European spot. He is a good option to have coming off the bench and to start in cups or the league sometimes because he does have an end product.

Very talented lad and obviously he'd manned up a lot and ditched the gloves, which has helped him, to man up.
Needs to stick a few fullbacks on their arse and bully them, 6ft 3 or whatever he's big unit play like one.
Never doubted his talent just his desire to win

Every time Deano talks about him , he mentions confidence so clearly that is a big issue with Anwar. Hopefully last weeks goal will give him bucketloads.

Considering where he was at the beginning of the season its a remarkable turnaround. I hope he gets in the final squad and does well at the tournament. Always useful to have a good penalty taker in the squad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.