The Anwar El Ghazi Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Anwar El Ghazi Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes did say that, although it is a talking point. I hoped El Ghazi would make a bigger impression in the Prem, which is why I think staying up or going down his place must be in doubt?

Yes did say that, although it is a talking point. I hoped El Ghazi would make a bigger impression in the Prem, which is why I think staying up or going down his place must be in doubt?

When we signed him permanently I was pretty pleased, especially as he was only about 5m or so after the loan fee. The problem is we've relied on him far more than we should have due to Trezeguet being disappointing. He'd be a good squad player for any mid table Premier league side though. He's got the talent to be better than that though.

Yes, I'm hoping the break has been good for our players and they have worked out in their heads how to play at the top level.

Can't think of many departing that would upset me to be honest. He is certainly one I'm pretty ambivilant about. He was better in the Championship than the Premiership, but I don't think he exactly lit up the former, so didn't expect him to the latter.

In fairness to El Glovski (I like that!), he's the one player who clearly can improve and show greater consistency. Whether he does or not, is ultimately down to what he wants from his career.

The core is there, and he reminds me so much of Mahrez before Mahrez clicked and then got too big for his boots when Leicester wouldn't sell him.

As much as he blows hot and cold the one thing I would say about him is he's a threat. He has that knack of getting into goalscoring positions, and when he misses he doesn't hide, he just gets into another goalscoring position.... He'll always score his fair share because use of that.

Too many players shrink and hide from responsibility. El Ghazi at least keeps putting himself in the box and looking to score.

But yes, he has a lot of poor days. Too many for a top player.

If anything he really needs to stop thinking about himself in some ways, both in terms of passing as opposed to trying to impossible, but also the tracking back to be a team player.

Mahrez reference again, he began doing that as he reached his peak and I think it helped him find consistency simply because he was more involved. That's where his moments of magic came to the fore because he wasn't cold, sitting on the wing waiting to get involved or get the perfect pass - he was already in position.

The shining light is after Mings bollocked him, he did seem to take that a bit more on board. But he needs to do it more. I think the kid has it, I'm just not sure he wants it enough.

I hope he proves me wrong.

Not saying he is brilliant but nowhere near as bad as some make out .

6 goals , 7 assists in 31 games this season .

And as Deano says , a threat and pops up . Capable off the bench aswell.

And let's face it .Compared to Jota he is like Ronaldo.

Not saying he is brilliant but nowhere near as bad as some make out .

6 goals , 7 assists in 31 games this season .

And as Deano says , a threat and pops up . Capable off the bench aswell.

And let's face it .Compared to Jota he is like Ronaldo.

I don't ever doubt the lad has an exceptional talent which he has shown at every club he's been at but it's his lack of mental toughness that kills him. commonly known as an attitude problem or I need gloves syndrome

I'm not a fan. If he was 21, 22, I'd see the appeal, but for a 25 year old winger he's just missing too much to make it at this level at this point in his career.

That being said, he's the best of a bad bunch of wingers we have at the club and his stats don't make for bad reading. Issue is, I haven't seen him strike up any kind of partnership or understanding with anyone at all yet. He doesn't have any kind of intelligent input into build up play which is huge at the premier league level. He gets goals and assists as a byproduct of the attacking football we play but it's those around him, mostly Grealish, that allow for that.

I'm hoping himself and Trezeguet prove me wrong in the next couple of months and do enough to convince me they are good enough to play for Aston Villa next season, because at the moment, I'd like to see us replace both of them.

His return in terms of goals and assists is good. For me he isn't consistent enough to be a starter, in an ideal world he'd be a rotation option and impact sub as opposed to a nailed on starter but this is obviously a reflection on the resources we have as a football club.

He's the best winger we have, if any of our wingers need to go it's Jota, who is Championship standard and Trezeguet, who barely looks like a footballer at the best of times.

His return in terms of goals and assists is good. For me he isn't consistent enough to be a starter, in an ideal world he'd be a rotation option and impact sub as opposed to a nailed on starter but this is obviously a reflection on the resources we have as a football club.

He's the best winger we have, if any of our wingers need to go it's Jota, who is Championship standard and Trezeguet, who barely looks like a footballer at the best of times.

Seems to me that a lot of wingers are inconsistent , even Tony Morley was . When they are good they are very good and when they are bad they are anonymous. Anwar fits that stereotype perfectly. On his day he is a dangerous player for us and his record probably reflects that.

Seems to me that a lot of wingers are inconsistent , even Tony Morley was . When they are good they are very good and when they are bad they are anonymous. Anwar fits that stereotype perfectly. On his day he is a dangerous player for us and his record probably reflects that.
Most wingers will drift in and out of the game. It’s nature of the role, as an attacking player they can only have an impact when we are on the attack and on that side of the pitch... which immediately rules out 80-90% of the match. That’s why someone like Grealish is so good, his contribution to the game is so much more than this.

This is Anwar's first PL season. Reckon there's a lot more to come. When SAF signed Ronaldo people said why? The way he created Samatta's goal in the Cup Final shows what he can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.