The Anwar El Ghazi Thread | Page 16 | Vital Football

The Anwar El Ghazi Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We must surely have half a dozen players better than him in the squad already.

£30-40m is our new level of first team player but we could spend less than half that to improve on Ghazi imo.

All moot anyway I think as he's not likely to start many games from here, not if we've actually improved at least.

He's a good squad player to have though, doesn't seem to be the sort to be in a huff about not being a first team player. Last night was a good example, playing with the kids and reserves and put a shift in.

Hate the thought of a Palace season after season mid table or just above slog . Meh . 3 summers in we are someway off that top 4 or 5 .

I think you answer your own statement there when you highlight the fact it's only been 3 summers (2 seasons) since we got promoted. What happened to patience in football fans?

Man City got promoted in 2002. They then finished 9th, 16th, 8th, 15th, 14th, 9th and 10th before finally finishing 5th in 2010.

Rome wasn't built in a day my friend. It's actually harder than ever these days due to FFP as we can't even 'Do a Man City' and just buy players willy nilly, we have constraints to work within.

Good news is that the Jack sale effectively puts us on a zero footing now with FFP so I'm very excited about the next few year. If we can finish top half this season then the next few seasons could be very interesting.

Sorry. Edited my post to keep Astonian happy -

"I think you answer your own statement there when you highlight the fact it's only been 3 summers (2 seasons) since we got promoted. What happened to patience in football fans?

Man City got promoted in 2002. They then finished 9th, 16th, 8th, 15th, 14th, 9th and 10th before finally finishing 5th in 2010.

Rome wasn't built in a day my friend. It's actually harder than ever these days due to FFP as we can't even 'Do a Man City' and just buy players willy nilly, we have constraints to work within and that means players like Anwar still have a big part to play.

Good news is that the Jack sale effectively puts us on a zero footing now with FFP so I'm very excited about the next few year. If we can finish top half this season then the next few seasons could be very interesting. "

I think you answer your own statement there when you highlight the fact it's only been 3 summers (2 seasons) since we got promoted. What happened to patience in football fans?

Rome wasn't built in a day my friend. It's actually harder than ever these days due to FFP as we can't even 'Do a Man City' and just buy players willy nilly, we have constraints to work within.

What happened to patience in football fans?. Fcuk me I've been a villa fan for 40 years.

In any case it was a general point about where we are not an impatient point. I haven't been predicting 5th- 8th in the thread that's for sure so I am looking at improving but not that much. 7th or 8th max with this squad maybe .Yep only seasons I agree but point remains about where we need to shop to break top 4 or 5 or even 6.

Hopefully Anwar is part of our eventual climb up the table.

Last edited:
To be honest, he's not a problem is he, we don't have to sell him and he'll get plenty of game time with the rest of our up and down players.
He's constant at being inconsistent but we now have options when he's in his can't be arsed mode

When the gloves are on, get him off

This is the year to keep AEG. On the fringes of the Dutch squad , big season and he's going to the World Cup. He should be pumped up for the season and certainly looks it so far (bar watford)

This is the year to keep AEG. On the fringes of the Dutch squad , big season and he's going to the World Cup. He should be pumped up for the season and certainly looks it so far (bar watford)

It's tough, I've a soft spot for him because I just want him to do so well but I don't know if his head is there. Two things with Anwar, you know in the first 5 mins if he is going to play well or not but he does still have the potential for a goal even if he's poor.

I'd honestly risk selling him for 20MM if we got the offer. Its hard to know if his stock will ever be higher. 10 goals last season, 0 assists but a good 4 of them had to be penalties.

I think I said it last season, its really now or never for Anwar. If we're to push on, he has to push on too.

Am I the only one who thinks he's shite and the penalties are papering over a very weak player who more often than not doesn't show up?
Oh sweet lord..someone who agrees with me.
The penalties and a couple of goals totally paper over the crack that his general play is actually worse than garbage.
Shocking player. Terrible. I'm sorry but he is not a premier League player.

The problem with El Ghazi is that he thinks he's Jack Grealish but he's not.

A couple of shimmies, a duck and dive then he loses possession .

I said at the start of last season that if we're relying on El Ghazi still then we're going to be in trouble. Obviously he only played last night because of Injuries and Buendia playing centrally but his time is definitely up.

I was of the opinion that we probably should have been looking to sell him in the summer off the back of probably the best season he'll ever have. He will never be worth more than he would have been summer just gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.