The Anwar El Ghazi Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Anwar El Ghazi Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were times last season where he was fired up and a lot stronger on the ball. It was the AEG I liked watching play, as he is a bit too lightweight at times and proved that on Saturday. The new refereeing which allows a more physical game won’t work in his favour if he can’t use him body better when appropriate, as falling over for an easy free kick will be harder to come by.

He’s a good squad player to have to come in when there are injuries such as Saturday, but he can’t or won’t be a regular starter.

I do think Anwar comes in from a lot of unfair stick so I always feel good for him when he scores a goal for us and shows what he can do. However, I think when all of our attacking options are fit he'll be down the pecking order and rightly so. He's been given plenty of opportunities but the problem with him is that he's always been hit or miss. He can score great goals but at other times goes completely missing and you never know what you're going to get from him.

When Trezeguet returns we'll have at least one too many wide players so will be interesting to see which one of El Ghazi, Trez or Bidace get moved on. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bidace being moved up the order similar to Ramsey over Hourihane last year, just a question of whether Smith prefers the unpredictability of El Ghazi or the more predictable but less talented Trezeguet.

Anwar on Saturday's match:
https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/august/Penalty-hero-El-Ghazi-hails-amazing-response/

I like the lad. He's scored some critical goals for us. He's always aiming to attack where he can, and that applies pressure to the opposition. He's a big lad, and that sometimes leads to balance problems e.g. his early shot on Saturday where he was beginning to fall over as he got his shot away. But the technique's there, he does get assists and good ones. He's one of those players who plays better when the team is playing better.

I can't for the life of me understand those who want him gone when they're crying out for Davis to start. Anwar is a good player to have around when we're at the stage we are. Maybe if we crack the top 6 he won't be, but that's not now.

his celebration on Saturday, almost telling the Holte to calm down. I read it more as no need to panic lads when i'm taking a pen there is no need to be anything but calm

He's still a complete coin toss performance wise and should be one of the first to be made surplus to requirements when we add more quality. With Ramsey, JPB, Chukwuemeka, Bailey, Traore as realistic options I'd rather even play Buendia out of position on the left than take a chance on Anwar there.

If an experienced pro who has been with us since 2018 and has significantly contributed for us and was called up for the pre tournament Dutch squad is a complete coin toss . Yet the kids Chuk,JPB and only a slightly lesser extent Ramsey are more reliable and realistic n the Premier league are they?.

Good job Deano won't be this reckless in his thinking and Anwar will be a valued part of the squad this season above the complete untested and untried novice kids that you mention.

If an experienced pro who has been with us since 2018 and has significantly contributed for us and was called up for the pre tournament Dutch squad is a complete coin toss . Yet the kids Chuk,JPB and only a slightly lesser extent Ramsey are more reliable and realistic n the Premier league are they?.

Good job Deano won't be this reckless in his thinking and Anwar will be a valued part of the squad this season above the complete untested and untried novice kids that you mention.
If you read what I actually wrote, you'll see I was talking about squad depth in general meaning I'd move Anwar on, and I quote "when we add more quality". So not yet, clearly.

The players I mentioned all have capacity to improve, whereas he has clearly plateaued at giving us a 50/50 chance of affecting a game when he starts on the left and a roughly 0% chance of affecting a game when he starts on the right. He's the signing of an effective right-footed wide attacker from being surplus to requirements.

If you read what I actually wrote, you'll see I was talking about squad depth in general meaning I'd move Anwar on, and I quote "when we add more quality". So not yet, clearly.

The players I mentioned all have capacity to improve, whereas he has clearly plateaued at giving us a 50/50 chance of affecting a game when he starts on the left and a roughly 0% chance of affecting a game when he starts on the right. He's the signing of an effective right-footed wide attacker from being surplus to requirements.

I did read what you actually wrote actually. And I have just actually read it again actually.

And it's still a crock. :tophat:

I did read what you actually wrote actually. And I have just actually read it again actually.

So you disagree with both "We should get rid of El Ghazi now" and "We shouldn't get rid of El Ghazi now"? Well, fair play, at least you've covered your bases.

I had a boss back in the day and when they were doing a team meeting we used to count how many times they said actual or actually. It made the meeting pass quicker actually. That's an actual true story, she was actually an actual woman as well

Anwar on Saturday's match:
https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/august/Penalty-hero-El-Ghazi-hails-amazing-response/

I like the lad. He's scored some critical goals for us. He's always aiming to attack where he can, and that applies pressure to the opposition. He's a big lad, and that sometimes leads to balance problems e.g. his early shot on Saturday where he was beginning to fall over as he got his shot away. But the technique's there, he does get assists and good ones. He's one of those players who plays better when the team is playing better.

I can't for the life of me understand those who want him gone when they're crying out for Davis to start. Anwar is a good player to have around when we're at the stage we are. Maybe if we crack the top 6 he won't be, but that's not now.

He showed a good attitude on that penalty because the keeper was being an absolute disrespectful tosser. After scoring I would've have ran over to the goalie and laughed in his face whereas Ghazi just blanked it all. Overall though I'm not a fan, he is very wasteful and without penalties his goal tally would be way down. A good squad player though for where we are at the moment.

To be honest, he's not a problem is he, we don't have to sell him and he'll get plenty of game time with the rest of our up and down players.
He's constant at being inconsistent but we now have options when he's in his can't be arsed mode

TBH I wouldn't sell him for £15m-£20m. It would be hard to get someone to replicate his output for that fee and be happy to play the role El-Ghazi does for us.

He can frustrate and do silly things but for a back up wide player he's as good as we are going to get.

TBH I wouldn't sell him for £15m-£20m. It would be hard to get someone to replicate his output for that fee and be happy to play the role El-Ghazi does for us.

He can frustrate and do silly things but for a back up wide player he's as good as we are going to get.
It's that he's not a back up at the moment that concerns me. I know that we've "replaced Jack", but we've not directly, well, replaced Jack!

I don't see a left-sided right-footed player to directly replace Jack's position. Buendia out of position is probably the closest approximation we have.
Bailey will be starting in that position when fit. I don't think we're trying to get a carbon copy of Grealish but rather evolve our play. I see either Bailey, Ings and Traore or Watkins, Ings and Bailey as the likely line up up top. Or something left field like Ings and Watkins as a two.

Either way, El Ghazi will not be starting when everyone is fit IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.