The Andre Green Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Andre Green Thread

Can't see any news on whether he got his Charlton contract. This from wiki, so it might just not have been updated

Loan to Charlton Athletic

On 2 January 2020, Green joined Championship side Charlton Athletic on a loan until the end of the 2019/20 season.[15] Green scored his first goal for Charlton in a 2–1 away defeat to Preston North End.[16]

On 25 June 2020, it was announced that Green would be released by Aston Villa, signing a contract extension with them to allow him to complete his loan spell at Charlton.[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Green

Ah, yes, looks like nothing doing for him at the moment

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/andre-green/profil/spieler/309841 without a club

"To everyone at Aston Villa. I would like to say thank you for the last 15 years. It has always been an honour to wear the famous badge and it is something I will always look back on as a great achievement," said Green.

"It was always a dream to play at Villa Park from the age of six and to have acheived that and to be a part of the team that got us back to the Premier League - where we belong. A feeling that a a million words can't describe.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/it-always-dream-aston-villa-18840804

Always thought he would be a massive success, he had such a raw talent. But injury after injury ruined that, must have knocked his confidence as well, you get fit, run about, get another injury.

Michael Owen interviewed by Gary Neville on his show a year or so back said his career was in reverse, burst onto the scene, then injuries set things back time and time again.

not easy.

Awful pity I really thought he was going to be very good, a little bit like Ibe at Liverpool. They both seemed like very good athletic players who tended to be in the right place at the right time and get goals.

Just a bit too raw and lacking the football head at times.

Young players are hyped up beyond belief these days, not their fault though.

I remember seeing rumours Arsenal were going to pay £16m or something for Green before he had ever kicked a ball for the senior team.

Hopefully he can find his way, whether it's League 2 or wherever, it's a paying job and he seems like a nice lad.

I suppose when you hug me at Small Heath when Super Jack scored the winner then you may as well retire at the top because it doesn't get any better than that.

Always thought he would break through to have a decent career at Championship level. Very surprised no one has picked him up, I guess it's not a great time to be looking for a contract in the lower leagues right now.

If we hadn't got promoted he probably would have played an important role for DS last season, shame. All the best to him.

I recall seeing one of those club "behind the scenes" videos that they did on him when he was just breaking into the first team. Seemed like a really well-grounded lad, so hopefully he gets picked up by someone and can carve out a career somewhere. He'd probably be a decent player in the MLS for example

Bradley Wright-Phillips has well over a 100 goals the MLS so surely Green can get something going over there.

Hard to believe that no one is interested in him seeing as he's still young and has shown in flashes that he could do it at championship level at least. If I were manager of a decent league 1 side I'd have snapped him up as soon as he was released.

I hope he can find a club and make a decent career for himself. If the injuries have taken too much of a toll and he really is done then I hope he gets some support from those around him.

Bradley Wright-Phillips has well over a 100 goals the MLS so surely Green can get something going over there.

I think if I'd been a lower championship or top end league 1 player I'd go out to play there. What's better, slogging away for someone like Charlton/Barnsley or playing in New York scoring loads against crap defences. Money is probably as good or better as well.

I think if I'd been a lower championship or top end league 1 player I'd go out to play there. What's better, slogging away for someone like Charlton/Barnsley or playing in New York scoring loads against crap defences. Money is probably as good or better as well.
I think if you're a good player you can be a 'designated player' and therefore outside of the salary cap. Otherwise, well, you're in the salary pot. Not sure what the cap is. Either way it's probably not a pittance and as you say, you can live in a much nicer place than e.g. some shithole up north.

I think if you're a good player you can be a 'designated player' and therefore outside of the salary cap. Otherwise, well, you're in the salary pot. Not sure what the cap is. Either way it's probably not a pittance and as you say, you can live in a much nicer place than e.g. some shithole up north.
They make decent money, probably as much as League 1 if within the cap. I don't think he'd be in the designated-player standard, as most of these tend to be more experienced players who are winding down...