Norwich Match Thread | Page 25 | Vital Football

Norwich Match Thread

The way some of you lot talk it's a wonder people like Michael Carrick made it as a footballer at all, let alone at one of the Worlds great clubs.

You don't have to be box to box and be able to tackle to be a decent midfielder.

An assist or a goal is worth far more to me than a tackle or a bit of huff and puff any day of the week.

Main problem I have with Hourihane is lack of consistency. He can produce wonderful free kicks, and great shots from a distance. And on his day he moves pretty well. But he also has matches where things aren't clicking. Thought the free kick where he tapped the ball to Jack then hit the return was over elaborate; should keep it simple.

The shot of his on Tuesday which went past the post wasn't far away, but at his best it would be on target and beyond the keeper.

McGinn and Barney seem to be our best bets for central midfielders. But Hourihane will have his chances and I think he has to take them. Not sure Barney's good for 3 matches a week, so some rotation is on the cards.

Why couldn't he fit into the no.10 role given that he actually produces?

So you leave out Grealish then, and that ain't gonna happen is it.

He hardly touches the ball, he isn't comfortable with the ball. Panicks in possession.
We play with wingers and a defensive midfielder he isn't any of those, he's not Grealish or Mcginn. You're not going to build a team around Hourihane that's for sure,
He's a squad player at best and I think young Doyle Hayes is much more of a Dean Smith player.

Can't afford midfield players that can't carry the ball, spot forward passes or tackle. McGinn does all three, Grealish two out of three, Bjarnason 2 out of 3. Cowans, Mortimer etc did the lot.

If this was American football, Hourihane would make a great special teams player.

Spot on

And as for Hourihane playing the number 10 role?. So we should be playing him there when he has never played there before?. For us let alone Barnsley?. And people bang on about square pegs ?. Can I just mention a few number 10's that are the type and style of player to fit that role.
Bergkamp
Zidane
Ronaldinho.
Laudrup
Platini.

Now obviously , extreme examples but my point is that a number 10 is skillful, can run, dribble with the ball, pick quick passes , quick give and go's. Brilliant balance, can turn quickly. Has a trick and flick up their sleeve.
I'm sorry Hourihane does not do any of those things at all. What is it in his game that qualifies him as a number 10?. Don't get it all.

Ok . If we accept the fact that he scores and creates more than his fair share then I would say that's not from a number 10 position or role. And if that's the case . If he is that good for us why are people trying to change his position ???, Surely he needs to stay where he is???!!!.

(Only he won't will he. Because he will be getting splinters tommorrow. So he is not crucial in Smith's eyes, or Bruce's this season )

Last edited:
Spot on

And as for Hourihane playing the number 10 role?. So we should be playing him there when he has never played there before?. For us let alone Barnsley?. And people bang on about square pegs ?. Can I just mention a few number 10's that are the type and style of player to fit that role.
Bergkamp
Zidane
Ronaldinho.
Laudrup
Platini.

Now obviously , extreme examples but my point is that a number 10 is skillful, can run, dribble with the ball, pick quick passes , quick give and go's. Brilliant balance, can turn quickly. Has a trick and flick up their sleeve.
I'm sorry Hourihane does not do any of those things at all. What is it in his game that qualifies him as a number 10?. Don't get it all.

Ok . If we accept the fact that he scores and creates more than his fair share then I would say that's not from a number 10 position or role. And if that's the case . If he is that good for us why are people trying to change his position ???, Surely he needs to stay where he is???!!!.

(Only he won't will he. Because he will be getting splinters tommorrow. So he is not crucial in Smith's eyes, or Bruce's this season )
English examples:
Beardsley
Sherringham
Keagan??

Running out of ideas now, it appears that we are not a nation that creates a huge amount of talent in that area. What I would give for a Beardsley in our team.