The Cricket Thread | Page 39 | Vital Football

The Cricket Thread

Yes, quality bowling from England (Woakes in particular) and a great knock from Bairstow - no messing about.

Just hope we can keep this form going into the World Cup - we're arguably the best 50-over side in the world at the moment, but that will count for jack shit if we can't do anything when it matters.

This is embarrassing. Mind you, perhaps it's a result of playing too much cricket. They must of been playing about 50 weeks out of the last 52.

Just for a bit of context , ball tampering has been going on since the game was invented , and really the only issue is the level of it and the method used. It looks pretty bad but I think a lifetime ban would be a bit much when you consider punishments given for previous ball tampering offences.

Just for a bit of context , ball tampering has been going on since the game was invented , and really the only issue is the level of it and the method used. It looks pretty bad but I think a lifetime ban would be a bit much when you consider punishments given for previous ball tampering offences.

Agree with that Sir Dennis. Lifetime bans are probably too much, but for them to admit pre-planned ball tampering (with no appraent regret or shame) is pretty low in my book.

And for Bancroft to try and hide the evidence in his pants after possible advice from the 12th man, although comical, is shocking and (as the Aussies would say) pretty ordinary behaviour.

I'd be just as appalled if it were England who had been implicated. Or anyone for that matter. The very least Smith can do now is to stand down as captain - how can he carry on having admitted his involvement and knowledge?

There definitely needs to be some kind of punishment meted out. It's one thing trying to rough up the ball with dirt or your nails or whatever, and quite another arranging to take sandpaper out onto the field to do the job for you. Disgraceful scenes.

I hate cricket and don't follow, but this stood out - Smith has already said he won't stand down.

He shouldn't have a choice in my humble.

It's deliberate cheating fullstop re life time bans...context or not - would people feel differently if a striker in football threw sand or something else into a goalkeeper's eyes on the sly?

Yes I must admit , I had not long got in lat night and hadn't seen the footage of the incident , which looks so bad you can't help feel there will be severe recriminations.

We used to take packets of mints out with us as the sugar from the mints for some reason gave the ball a tremendous sheen , jelly babies did the same but it is hard to stop someone having a mint and accidently getting some sugar filled saliva on the ball .!!!! This from the Aussies is far more crass and blatant.

I'll admit I was just being a bit melodramatic when calling for lifetime bans. I'm not expecting anything like that. I just can't stand Smith, and would love the see him fall from grace.

This is just so blatant, and their attitude at the press conference so arrogant.

They've got yo miss the next test, at least.

So Smith has been replaced as captain for the remainder of the test by Tim Paine, with Warner also stood down.

An already ill-tempered series takes a huge turn for the worst...

It's not just this series. Their behaviour is being questioned going back years. Who's to say the reverse swing they got in the Ashes wasn't achieved in the same way?

I can't accept this is the first time, or that Lehmann knew nothing about it.

I can't accept this is the first time, or that Lehmann knew nothing about it.

Yes, there is no way this is an isolated incident. And the all-round arrogance and behaviour of the Australian team does a huge disservice to cricket.

I know sledging goes on all over the place, but hey do seem to take things above and beyond. The likes of Warner have plenty of previous as well. It just seems ingrained in their DNA.

95-9 now. Question. Is it possible the Aussies are doing this on purpose so they can get off the pitch and avoid further embarrassment for being cheats?