The Alan Hutton Thread | Page 15 | Vital Football

The Alan Hutton Thread

I think Green could still be a serious star in the making, but he needs to get over these niggling injuries and have a run.

Physically he's looking the part now. Reminds me of Gareth Bales growth trajectory.

Anyway this is the Hutton thread....

The Scottish Cafu!
The Scottish Cafu!

Who needs terry (or Chester, or Grealish, or Kodjia, or Snodgrass, or Grabban, or Johnstone, or money.....)

When you have the Scottish Cafu!

All the above... agreed!

The Scottish Cafu says that the Villa fans played a part in his decision. Nice to hear. I guess he brings experience and can cover several positions. Seems strange what we've been reduced to celebrating these days though really doesn't it?

I am 60/40 for this.

As I have said many a time, I bloody love Alan , I didn't vote for PotY but if I had, I would have voted for him. I think his character, his determination and workrate have been utterly immense over the last few years.

But there is a part of me that thinks, he is 33, with what we are going through, the youngsters (or younger younger) players in those positions (Bree, Taylor, Clark, Elmo) - maybe it was time to look to the future.

However, I am glad Big Al will be in Claret and Blue next year, if he was going to go, I would have preferred it being abroad rather than a competitor like Forest.

I suppose only time will tell if this means we are not in as big a financial mess as being painted, or, it is another example of sticking our heads in the sand.

Lets hope it is the former

Alan's 33, but he keeps himself in great shape. I've no doubt he can give us another year. Yep we need to look to the future, but I think considering where we are at the moment it's a great signing. We need to keep last season's momentum going as far as we can, and this is part of it.

Don't think we have a young LB ready to step up yet, and Alan's better than Taylor. I've hopes for Bree, but if he understudies Elmo and Alan he'll get his chance.

Next thing we'll hear is JT coming back!

The Scottish Cafu says that the Villa fans played a part in his decision. Nice to hear. I guess he brings experience and can cover several positions. Seems strange what we've been reduced to celebrating these days though really doesn't it?

I am celebrating both his comments and commitment to the cause, while wanting to play within the wage restrictions.

Great Stuff , He's getting better with age . I think we were lead up the garden path by Lambert and his BOMB squad , turns out as most of us have now realised that it was lambert who should have been bombed out 2 years before he was !!

McCafu the Great !

I admire his loyalty and hope that what is almost certainly his last season as a player at Birmingham 6 will be a great one both for him and the club.

After the arsewipes we've had taking a wage and giving fuck all, Hutton gives his all and always had done (irrespective of whether you think his all at points cost us!).

He deserves the extra year for keeping fighting, Christ he probably deserves another 12 months and a part time with the youngsters for being willing to take a pay cut as he's happy and settled!

You can't quite compare but given a certain other player at the club who must have known he wouldn't play in 2018 given he only got six appearances this year after finally getting fit enough to do his job following bellygate and unfitforworkgate.

If he'd have torn up his contract on Jan 1, how different would perceptions have been as he made amends?

I still think there are far better players in our past and options available, but Hutton keeps impressing me with his attitude alone. Somebody else said he could've gave up on bombsquad, but when asked he kept giving his all.

Fans can't demand loyalty without acknowledging that kind of attitude and professionalism even if you think there are better players easily available to us. The pay cut isn't going to harm his finances but the fact he was prepared to willingly take one for his family, our benefit and to help is massive for me.

Bottom line, the last 5 years a team full of Hutton's and their effort and it might still have gone to shit, but we'd have gone down with a fuck sight more fight and pride than we did.

A year gives us a chance to introduce his eventual replacement in without rushing them straight into the 1st team, wether its Mitch Clark, another academy player or someone we bring in. Taylor needs to go though, Elmohamady as well.

why does he seem better at left than right back. Is it to do with the players in front of him.
Move him again to midfield we need someone like Brian Godfrey to drive the team in there

Full of effort ... going forward, can't cross. Not really a modern day full back and doubt he will ever be a Brian Godfrey either

Last edited:
I think the reason he's better at left back is because playing on his weaker side has forced him to actually think a bit more about what he's doing. He's become a better all round player by simply using his brain a bit rather than just mindlessly charging about.