The 888 stadium | Vital Football

The 888 stadium

I think if we’re going to rename we should shun corporate sponsors & we should name it after Clough & Taylor then we can abbreviate that to CT so we can play games at the C T ground.

What do people think?

The city ground rhymes with shitty ground so im not bothered

No. Unless I've been singing it wrong it's always to be oh city ground not 888 stadium!

Happily take any sponsorship cash tho and let the media call the old gal whatever tickles their beards.

I always think that when this discussion comes up people totally and catastrophically underestimate the effect renaming a stadium would have.

It's fine to say "I don't care, I would still call it City Ground, etc".

But those statements fail to appreciate what it is like when every media outlet, every written reference, every official reference and even our younger fans (as inevitably they would) start to call it the [sponsor] stadium.

Yeah, you and your mates in the pub would still call it City Ground.

But when it's called something else in your season ticket renewal letters, on the club website articles, on the club's twitter, in the NP, on sky sports, on the C5 highlights, in the newspapers, in the programme, in every casual reference outside your group of friends and even by the ever increasing young generation of fans... That becomes overwhelming. Eventually even your mates in the pub will start marching with the herd.

My general feeling has always been that if an owner wants to build us a new stadium they can call it whatever they want. But they have no moral right to change the name of our home of 100+ years