The 4 Day Work Week | Vital Football

The 4 Day Work Week

BodyButter

Vital Football Legend
A trial at Microsoft Japan found that workers were 40% more productive when they worked 4 days a week.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/nov/04/microsoft-japan-four-day-work-week-productivity

Were the workers working harder to make this trial work so they would have to work fewer hours?

Were they just better rested and more focused on their jobs?

Would productivity fall back to its current level in the longer term or perhaps fall to 80% of its current level as workers got used to working 4 days?

What would people do with all the free time? More drinking?

I just read this as well. All I can say is that I went down to a 4 day week many years ago, largely because I wanted to play Golf on Wednesday's. I did as much business as everyone else in the Company every year following. It wasn't just a short term thing.

It was so successful, I took Friday's off as well, in the end.

There is a huge amount of time wasted at work. Shorten the hours you've got focuses the mind, and makes you more immune to these distractions.

It cannot work for everybody. There is currently over 100,000 vacancies in the NHS. which they are struggling to fill. Now can you imagine the chaos if all the doctors nurses ambulance drivers etc. went on to a 4 day week. Even if they could recruit the staff needed where will the money come from to pay for it. Then add in Police and Fire and the costs would be completely out of control. There are probably many other jobs where it would not be feasible or unaffordable

It cannot work for everybody. There is currently over 100,000 vacancies in the NHS. which they are struggling to fill. Now can you imagine the chaos if all the doctors nurses ambulance drivers etc. went on to a 4 day week. Even if they could recruit the staff needed where will the money come from to pay for it. Then add in Police and Fire and the costs would be completely out of control. There are probably many other jobs where it would not be feasible or unaffordable

I think the NHS are already exempt from current rules, so no, it won't be for everyone.

There’s a huge irony this was trialled in Japan, I believe they have a high suicide rate in young men due to work commitments.

I’m not a believer in too much state interference in the private sector, but if it’s proven that a four day week results in more productive employees then that should be a commercial decision the capitalist decision makers take to ultimately make more money.

I have probably changed my tune on this over the years. I’ve worked for companies where work is very regimented in terms of hours where I believed people couldn’t be trusted and needed to be seen to be working, and more recently where it’s slightly more laissez-faire in this department. In my current job, I start and leave differently to most in the office due to childcare, and if I need to pop out for personal reason - useful when moving house - it’s generally not a problem with my boss. On Fridays, only about 20% of people are in the office, as people typically “work” from home. I could quite easily do nothing on Fridays and no one would bat an eyelid, I’ve spent hours on lunch or at the pub before on a Friday afternoon.

But... Monday to Thursday is work. I’ll work evenings if there is something to be done, and have worked weekends before when required. The flexibility works for me as it’s give and take.

Technology is making this possible, I can work wherever I want and communicate with who I need from pretty much anywhere. I worked one Friday from a costa coffee whilst my car was being serviced and got more done in three hours than three hours in the office. The technology is probably there as a control to log what time I log on, what applications I’m using and so on. The problem is there will always be people that can’t be trusted and ruin it for the others.

As well as improved productivity, a bi-product of a four day week may actually be reduced stress and improved job satisfaction for less capable employees. We all work with people who struggle, with a shortened week it gives though with a slightly weaker skill set more time to catch up, as they may choose to use the free day to upskill or catch up on work. Survival of the fittest means these people get weeded out, but if they can get up to speed it reduces turnover and recruitment costs.

Simple things the private sector could do is introduced flexible hours for all, make it culturally acceptable to allow employees time to run errands and give an allowance of say 12 hours per year of time to use for personal use at any point, for example if you’ve had a stressful morning with a customer and no meetings scheduled I n the afternoon, you take 3 hours off and it comes out of the allowance.

I’ve read a few examples of start ups or new generation companies which have a shorter week as policy. If they are able to start up with a short week for employees I guess they’re more likely to survive.

Putting the fluffy nature of this aside.

You're inviting problems surely.

Start a 4 day week - remove paid overtime.
Split jobs further between a 4 day career/5 day career - if money remains the same.

Given the time pressures etc on NHS/Police etc and the people that puts off, aren't you inadvertently reducing the potential market there, as we all know there will be no equivalent wage increase to compensate for what would then be an additional 12 hour shift for some.

And it's all well and good arguing additional leisure time on the extra day - but are we really saying the bankers et al can have a 4 day week, but staff in the leisure/retail sector can't?

There's a lot more, but that should give a good idea of what I've been mulling over.

Seriously we worked a 4.5 day week in the motor industry for years finishing lunchtime on a Friday. (none production areas)
We asked to knock Friday on the head and do those hours in 4 days. Never happened but Friday just became Full breakfast day with bugger all happening afterwards.
In the end, Staff ended up having to stay till 3,30 on Fridays and the shopfloor went at Midday. Which was great for me as I had 3 hours on a Friday watching over an empty workshop.
The lads on the shop floor who bearing in mind left on Friday lunchtime would clamber for overtime on Saturday as its time and a half or Sunday double time.

Yup and get the 4 day week for some, how long before some clamour for a 3 day week and the people peeing around with extending the normal working day to make up and so on.

All those blokes shitting bricks at the though of their employer making them spend an extra day at home with 3 screaming kids......

And just remember you move to a 4 day working week or flexible working you may end up working Friday Saturday Sunday and Wednesday,,,,,