The Tennis Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Tennis Thread

Might as well make this a generic Wimbledon thread.

It's great start on an 'it's coming home' front as our No 1 is already out because one of her team have Covid lol

British number one Johanna Konta has been ruled out of Wimbledon on the eve of the tournament because one of her team has tested positive for Covid.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57632878

Might as well make this a generic Wimbledon thread.

It's great start on an 'it's coming home' front as our No 1 is already out because one of her team have Covid lol

British number one Johanna Konta has been ruled out of Wimbledon on the eve of the tournament because one of her team has tested positive for Covid.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57632878

Yeah, saw that on the news last night.

Shame that. Still, plenty more Brits we can get behind until they're knocked out in the first round......Lol

Looked a very punishing first rounder for him given his physical condition, surely has taken a lot out of him already.

He has had a great career and could have easily jacked it all in due to injury but he just likes playing tennis, fair play to him.

Absolutely. One of Britain’s greatest ever sportsman. The fact that he is actually competing at this level , at his age with his hip injury. Wow.

Murray has played in the greatest ever era of men’s tennis. Federer, Novak and Nadal, and still won slams and tournaments.

Looked a very punishing first rounder for him given his physical condition, surely has taken a lot out of him already.

He has had a great career and could have easily jacked it all in due to injury but he just likes playing tennis, fair play to him.

Yeah I like him and despite his dulcet tones, you can't argue about the way he's fought back when clearly he never needs to work a day in his life again anyway. Good win in the end, so pleased for him.

The bits I saw he was playing well, but had to dig deep given the other lads showing but class showed through I guess.

Also agree MD, I actually think tennis was better and more competitive in years gone by, but that in no way takes away from how good Fed, Novak and Nadal are, so the fact Murray has good titles under his belt shows how well he has done.

Shame in some senses as I think he'd have definitely won more in the past, as I think he's a cut above Tim - but even then, given relative competition Tim didn't do too badly either really.

Yep. 100 percent in another era Murray is winning many more slams than the 3 he did win.

The fact that him and the other 3 were in a league of their own for years is some achievement for him. In truth he was the 4th in that league overall despite topping the rankings for a time , but even so :bow:.

Yes it's the weird one for me and maybe a bit of history rewriting via nostalgia?

I think technically there have been better and more skilful players in the past and Murray is 4th in the current crop as you say, but it's the consistency element the other 3 have that hasn't been seen since maybe Sampras (male tour), or Navratilova + Williams (female tour).

I wish they still showed the oldies tour (ITV Mac Gobby was involved in its set up from memory) because it removed the more physical traits and landed more on technique and talent as well as having a laugh and taking the piss.

But you can only deal with what's in front of you and Murray can hold his head high in my books, I'm sure he'd still love to really challenge but I also like the fact he just wants to compete and enjoy while he still can.

Henman epitomised all that is wrong with British Tennis.

Murray did it his way shunned the LTA and reaped the rewards.

Henman has a hill though.

Henman sums up british sportsmen, overhyped failure, but the fact he was always a bit of underdog was part of the charm of wanting him to win Wimbledon each and every year before he crashed out in the semis.

I always liked Tim, but he wasn't a born winner - got a decent career out of it though.

The Brit setup has long been wrong and even if we see 'talent' on grass, I can't think of one that genuinely coped with other courts - maybe outside of Davis Cup?

As you say Den, Murray went the other way as he was successful.

American great Serena Williams broke down in tears as her latest attempt for an elusive record-equalling 24th Grand Slam title was cruelly ended by injury.

Williams started against Belarusian world number 100 Aliaksandra Sasnovich with heavy strapping on her right thigh and then slipped in the fifth game.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57656647