The 2020/21 midway point - How do you feel things are going so far? | Vital Football

The 2020/21 midway point - How do you feel things are going so far?

ldgavfc

Vital Squad Member
We're halfway through the season and at present we sit smack bang in the middle of the league with a game or two in hand on those around us.

We've had some huge wins that we won't forget in a hurry, and some disappointing losses that have hurt.

We've been frustrated with refereeing decisions. Very, very frustrated.

We've been knocked out of both cups, by Stoke in the League Cup and Liverpool/COVID in the FA cup.

We've spent a large amount of money relative to the rest of the league in both transfer windows once again, and this time the majority of the signings seem to suit each other as well as the coaches playing style.

Are you happy with what you've seen, or have we just been lucky? What final position will you be happy with, and what do you think the club are aiming for this season? Where do you think we will end up?

Well one things for sure, we won't be in a relegation battle, A lot of us thought at the start, if we survive this season we can kick on, The signings we made last window have adapted and fitted in much better, that's why we are where we are. Maybe with a bit more luck we should be higher than we are. I can take losses so long as we have put a shift in. I think a few more quality signings in areas where needed will improve us more. I'm not expecting us to win the league this season i just want to see us continue improving and we are doing that quicker than i thought.

Loving much of what I’ve seen this season, how could anyone not have enjoyed seeing some of our performances after the last 10 years of often, negative, depressing, boring dross? Clearly a work in progress and there will be bumps along the way, Burnley being a good example. First half we played probably some of the best football I’ve seen from a Villa team since the days of Big Ron, second half resembled something closer to the latter days of Paul Lambert! That said, I’ve currently got more hope with our current squad, coaching staff, management and owners combined than I’ve probably ever had as a Villa fan which says plenty about where I think we’re currently at. Would be more than happy with an 11/12th place finish this season as I think the club would be as a whole but would it surprise me if we finished any higher...not in the slightest but I would be surprised if we finished any lower. Really encouraging progress compared to this time last year.

All the in the know all ex- players , sports journalists and tv no fluck all people had us overwhelming favourites to be in the bottom 3 so to them I raise a 2 finger salute. and to Deano I raise a glass , wonderful season so far with a shot at finishing top 10.
The future is looking brighter than Del Boys sold to the Chinese restaurant paint.
onwards and upwards and to happier days.

I said on the Burnley match thread that we're clearly going places but aren't quite there yet. We play some brilliant football at times and have had some great results this season. The Liverpool game will never be forgotten.

I thought before the season we might struggle again and I'd have been delighted with 15th. Now we've actually a genuine chance at not only top 10 but top 6 if we can become a bit more consistent.

I'd be delighted to finish in the top half and I think we will. We'll win a lot convincingly but also lose a fair few like the game Wednesday night. We can beat anyone and lose to anyone.

I've enjoyed the season so far as much as its possible to without bring able to go. Bring on the second half.

Nothing lucky about where we are in the table, we've looked brilliant in some games. I'd even suggest we could consider ourselves unlucky not to have a few extra points due to shite decisions, but I guess most teams think the same.
Back in September I was thinking we'd finish anywhere from 10th to 15th, but the problem with our impressive start is that our expectations have now been raised. With the way other teams have been struggling for form, there is a genuine chance of getting into Europe if we can go on a winning run and avoid injuries to key players. I think if we fail to finish top 8 now I'll probably be a little bit disappointed myself.
I'm just happy that I can look forward to watching our games again and see us have a real go at teams, even if it is only on the box. Too many times in the last 10 years I've turned up at VP or tuned into the TV hoping we could somehow scrape something out of a game.

This season has been far beyond what I had hoped for considering where we are in the project.

The only negative is that there has been no fans there to see the best football we've played in donkeys years.

We were so cack last season pre lockdown its hard to see the season so far as anything but a revelation! I look forward to games rather than dread them as some kind of indication of progress.

Some of our play has been scintillating, most of our defending has been much improved. The whole team looks far more cohorent and confident.

Our hopes and ambition have been massively boosted as a result, but then because its early days we haven't been consistent and this has led to some frustrations and missed opportunities (yes Burnley I'm looking right at you!).

But this shouldn't distract from the enormous transformation in how we play, our results and how we all feel about the Villa this season. BBC in their half term report called us the most improved team in the Premier League and they are not wrong.

It is easy to get carried away, and rather nice to be able to for a change, but as I think I said in another thread, you don't go from gash to great in one big leap, I think we are on the way to being good and this gives us a solid plaform next season to go from good to great and see how far this group and the clubs ambitions might take us.

I thought at the start of the season I'd take 12-15th as a good step forward. Having seen what they are capable of, and how unpredictable the rest of the teams are, I think top 10 is possible, but I'm not really thinking Europe and all that just yet. To perhaps finish 10th from 17th last would be a very respectable improvement indeed.

Still plenty of scope to improve but what a place to build that potential from!

We have performed above and beyond my expectations and you only have to listen to numerous pundits within the media who have said we are playing some of the most exciting football in the league to see how far we have come. Sure we will lose the odd game but apart from Leeds we have competed well and perhaps with a bit of luck we would have found ourselves even higher in the league then we are currently.
If we finish in the top ten we can say that is a massive step forward but if our starting eleven remain fit we should be looking at sneaking a Europa League spot which would be incredible.
We are in with more than just a shout so with half the season still to go why not dare to dream?
Still all to play for and so far so good!

Great season. We're still beatable and make mistakes but what a ride we're having! Wednesday was painful but nowhere near the misery of 12 months ago. I'm in danger of starting to enjoy football.

Fantastic season. Absolutely loving it. There have been a couple of banana skins. What on earth happened against Leeds i just don't know. Just as I was disappointed with results against the likes of Brighton and Southampton I have been overwhelmed with the results against Liverpool and Arsenal.

We have been thoroughly entertaining and its just so nice to see quality football for the first time in 15 +? Years.

I find it impossible to predict our results but I am loving supporting the Villa again. Just need to get consistency now but very Happy.

See us finishing around 8- 10th.

Surely you can be a bit more upbeat than that McParland?! Last year you were always defending Dean when he was getting slated left right and centre...I read your posts as a beacon of hope....I reckon your account has been hacked this season...! :grinning:
Come on Langoe,proper Villans have a PHD in pessimism. I'm the one who moaned about signing Peter Withe and Paul McGrath. Any advice needed,? Just drop me a line.

Last season we played some great football until McGinn got injured but our defensive capabilities saw us surrender so many winning positions due a lack of quality in midfield. Restart saw us become hard to beat thanks to the transformation of Luiz, an improved defensive unit and some priceless goals from Trez/Konsa.

We now have a superb keeper, excellent full-backs and a striker who takes the attention of both CB's creating space for Jack & a fully fit SJM! Been a great ride so far - some awful decisions against us but had we been better with our finishing they begin to matter less.

Looking forward to seeing Sanson.

For me we've dropped 11 points and currently should be sitting 2nd with 2 games over Man Utd and 1 over Liverpool.

We've been extremely unlucky with VAR at least 4 times.

This team is one to be reckoned with, we fear no one, lad's need to learn how to grind out results and be more clinical.

Average age is 25.5, we've got lots of gelling to do still, we're still adding players to the team, we've got prospects coming through the ranks, We're still weak in some areas.

We've got an amazing team spirit, we've been very lucky with injuries so far, but the league position for me is a false place, we should be better, we're a better team than those around us, I think if we miss out on Europe this season we can count ourselves very unfortunate and look at those 11 points we let slide/VAR took away from us.

I believe the team are learning all the while, they would of learnt from the Burnley loss and I'm expecting us to bounce back this time, not go on a crap run streak like last time, it's critical we show character against Southampton, very much a defining moment for us, that will be half way with 19 games.

Delighted overall with the progress and the potential to get better. If we finish the season 10th it will have been a very good achievement considering how last season went.

As a supplementary: has your intensity waned with the empty stadiums? I thought it would but no - I still get just as wound up and involved with it all despite the strange atmosphere.

i was uncomfortable with the inconsistent period of some clubs having fans in and others fans banned, this will still be a contentious area for me as we come out of a national lockdown and go into regional tiers. It creates an uneven playing field