The 2019 Randox Grand National | Vital Football

The 2019 Randox Grand National

DeanoVilla

One Bloody Number
Who you going for?

Hard to not go for Tiger Roll but at 4/1?!? That seem incredibly short for what is essentially a bit of a lottery where any number of things can go wrong.

I backed him last year though and backed him at Cheltenham last month, so he's done my bank balance good so far so should I go for the hat trick?

I'll either go all out on him or split my money over several horses with longer odds instead. Currently looking at -

The Young Master @ 50/1 (if he makes the final 40. He's currently number 43)

Pleasant Company @ 20/1

Monbeg Notorious @ 80/1

General Principle @ 40/1

Tiger Roll is an incredible horse considering he won the Triumph Hurdle and 3 other races at the Cheltenham festival as well. He seems just the sort who could win 2 Nationals and it's hard to see him getting beat.

Vintage Clouds and Rock the Kasbah are two others that I like.

I know sweet FA about horse racing, but my Dad always tells me that in the National, go for a horse about 16/1 and put a fiver each way on it. More often than not, you'll win something.

I've done this about 10 times over the years. And won once (as far as I remember) and the horse wasn't first.

So I will probably stick to this rule of thumb again this year. Or I could just flush my tenner straight down the toilet.

I go by trends one the national. I do a little spreadsheet every year and it usually serves me well.

Main trends are.....

No horse aged older than 12 and no younger than 8
Not carrying a handicap more than 11st 4
Must have won atleast 1 race over 3miles
Must have won at least 1 race worth more than 17k prize money
Must have run in at least 10 chases

ther'es a few other little things too but they are the main ones.

If nothing else it helps to rule out a quarter of the field, then your lottery pick is only out of 30 rather than 40.

The Radox Grand National?.....

There'll sure be some knackered horses relaxing in a bath of radox come Saturday night I'm sure..... Lol

Tiger Roll looks the one to beat, but at that price I will probably be looking at a few each way bets instead. Joe Farrell and Anibale Fly look good shouts to be placed.
Band of Outlaws looks a solid chance in tomorrows second race as well

Last edited:
It should be Randox.

Anyway I remember Grand National day in 1981 .I backed Aldaniti who won at 10-1 and on the same day went to Leicester away where we won 4-2 approaching the end of the title winning season. Massive win and in the evening I went out a struck lucky with a very nice girl.

Up there with one of my best days .

In 1970 my cousin was getting married in Surrey. I was the youngest in the family by a fair way. He was a policeman and he was marrying the daughter of a very high ranking member of the Metropolitan Police. His dad had married a woman from Newry and a coach load of Irish relatives came over. They were great fun and I got treated very well. We stopped at a service station en route in the coach, which was a first for me. There were little cardboard trays with jelly and ice cream being served and ice cream was a treat then and they bought me about 5.
Then they decided we all had to have a bet on the National and as we were on a “Gay Trip” they put fair few quid on the horse of the same name and won hundreds back.
The high ranking copper decided I looked bored at the wedding and asked me if I liked football and had I heard of Peter Osgood. He lived next door and had an E Type jag which he regularly parked in the duck pond outside.
Anyway that is my grand national story.

Stand-by for the animal rights brigade to lose their shit over the one race of the year that gets massive publicity.

The animal rights people have a point. Too many horses race and it leads to a lot of injuries.

You have a point, but it is a balancing act. Reduce the field too much, or lower the fences too much and it's just not the same spectical that draws so much interest.

I think improvements have been made, and it is a lot safer than it has been in previous years, but obviously it can never be perfect.

Don't enjoy watching it anymore , it's too much for the horses , I can see they look scared in their eyes. I'm a bit of a hypocrite though as I did have a bet on it, ironically my horse was sadly put down after falling.

Agree .

Horrible. The horse that fell and died was thrashing around in full view of the watching world as were the screens that immediately went up around it. Was watching it with friends round mine . Fortunately the kids didn't notice but all the adults saw it straight away . Not sure it should be just 'accepted' as part and parcel of the event . All seems a bit unnecessary in this day and age.

Last edited: