The 20/21 Predictions Thread | Vital Football

The 20/21 Predictions Thread

Wurzel

Vital Football Legend
The new season is upon us so what are your predictions for the coming season?

My feeling for us this coming season is another struggle at the wrong end of the table and my heart says 15th but my head is saying another 17th/18th fight. Of course the window isn't closed yet so things can change, but currently that is my thinking.

Player of the Season - Grealish
Top Goalscorer - Watkins
Breakthrough Star - Ramsay
League Position - 13th
Amount of Cow's arses Wesley will hit with a banjo - zero

For me it depends on the start. Get a few wins under our belt and momentum will kick in. Cut out the glaring errors and we could have been comfortable with games to spare. I don't see any reason we can't achieve 55pts this season (which is roughly 8th and where Arsenal are).

Yep, going for 54-56pts and see where the chips fall - especially if we get that goalkeeper and a quality midfield player who keeps Hourihane on the bench.

I will reserve judgement until we have finished signing players. If we don't sign anyone else it will be another struggle.

Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd top four.

Crystal Palace, West Brom, Fulham bottom three.

Villa will finish somewhere between 9th and 17th. If I had a gun to my head, I'd say we will finish above Fulham, Baggies, Palace, Leeds, Brighton, West Ham, Newcastle, Sheffield and Burnley in 11th.

Last edited:
Top 4 as above, bottom 3 Fulham, Newcastle, West Brom

We will finish in the top half of the bottom half, largely due to being unable to improve on individual errors and at this level you get punished.

The last 4 games of last season have papered over huge cracks. We have a poor management team and a woeful defence , relegation

I reckon it's a lottery (almost) as to which of the bottom 6 teams go down. Usually 1 of the 6 is clearly in the smelly stuff, otherwise... We deserved to stay up, against the odds, because when it was all over we had put it together for the final 4 matches, and our 2 main competitors couldn't. Fine margins, unpredictable.

I think we will take something from those final 4 matches, that extra bit of confidence all round. With Watkins we've added to what we had (we hope). Cash looks a useful option to have, although I'm not sure he'll take Freddie's place. Fine margins but I think we've enough to stay clear of that bottom 6. And it wouldn't take too much extra to push us into mid-table. That's probably the limit. But remember, confidence can go a long way; I think we have better players than what we've seen.

By the time we have finished this window adding better players to the squad and have corrected the mistakes made last season, if we still end up anywhere near the bottom 3 again with this lot, something is seriously wrong here. I'm expecting mid table at least.

A very respectable 13th place finish as apart from the top 8 (Big sky 6 Plus wolves Everton)
the premier teams left are very much equal to each other. I still believe it was the silly first season nervous mistakes that cost us at least 20 points last season.
We have a seasons experience behind us now and the last few games of last season proved we were able to fight and Cut out these errors.
Added to that we have kept all our good quality players and have added a very good striker. I just feel teams like Fulham, West Brom, Leeds, will be hit with the big Prem new boy nerves, whilst West ham, Palace, Newcastle are a couple of losses from fans turning on the clubs.
we look ok and if we still add at least 3 more players it backs 13th or higher in my honest .

Looking around youtube it seems that Villa fans have us finishing around 12th while other clubs fans have us struggling and being relegated.

12th-15th.

Still remember how shocked I was in that first game at Spurs last year. Plenty of people had been saying there wasnt much between top Championship sides and middle of the road Prem teams. Spurs looked light years ahead of us.

Dean was too gung ho during our first season thinking that by taking the game to the opposition he would catch them out.

The final 4 games saw a more considered approach from Smith.

The team have gained experience and I saw some improvement in just about all of them last year. Smith is older and wiser for the experience. Good addition in Watkins (desperately needed). An additional goal keeper required. Still need at least one but preferably 2 quality wingers.

Difficult to call until the transfer window has closed. I'd guess somewhere between 11th-16th.
I'll be amazed if either Fulham or Albion stay up, so that only leaves one more relegation spot to avoid. Think Palace and West Ham will be in the relegation scrap and wouldnt be surprised to see Sheffield Utd struggle this season now teams have had more of a chance to work them out

Yes, very true, Villa fans also tend to be optimistic at the beginning of a season.
I see the 3 promoted teams as worse than us plus Newcastle Palace as well then it's a question of who else blows up this season and who gets lucky because 14 clubs are in a relegation battle at the start of the season

My workings: With two key players injured and not adequately replaced in the first 11 for half the season, with 8 or 9 of the first 11 with no PL experience, with so many new players trying to get to grips with an unfamiliar system, and with on;y 6 league goals between all of our strikers we stayed up. Just.

With a year's PL experience for everyone here, with a hugely improved defensive performance since restart, with a year's camaraderie, English lessons, understanding of each other's play, with a striker who I reckon will score 10-15 goals, I think we can expect 12th-15th spot *as things stand*.

Plus any of Martinez, Buendia, Rashica, King, Edouard, or as yet unlinked, who knows?

10th. Anything less will not be satisfactory, anything more would be stratospheric! :gent:

You don't half set yourself up for disappointment. Climbing a minimum of 7 places in a year would be amazing.