The 147th Open Championship at Carnoustie | Vital Football

The 147th Open Championship at Carnoustie

DeanoVilla

One Bloody Number
Going to be interesting what with all the good weather we've been having, and even the forecast for this weekend looks decent.

Should make it a much fairer test, as so often with links golf it depends which half of the draw you are on but looking at the current forecast it seems like everyone will get similar conditions.

Think key could be to play it safe and plot your way round. Belting it miles wont help with the fairways so dry and fast.

Experience is key. Time for Tiger to close one out?

Ricky Fowler hit a drive in the Scottish open that landed at 330 yards the rolled another 100 yards or so !!!

Isn't Carnoustie one of the hardest links courses going ?

Very difficult but very fair is how I've heard it described.

It will punish bad shots. But it won't unfairly punish good shots like the farce we had at the US Open.

Not sure we'll have ever seen Carnousite play in these conditions though. I remember when Harrington won there it was very wet and windy. Will be interesting to se how tough it is if sunny and relatively calm.

I have some paint to watch dry so I won't be partaking in this thread or watching any of the..... ahem....action :lol:.
So I will leave this thread with an over the top GET IN THE HOLE (said in an annoying yank voice).

Oooh less than a day to go. Getting excited now. Just can't decide who to throw my money at.

Common sense says Fleetwood. He holds the course record, generally plays well there and was runner up at the US Open.

Talking of US Opens though Brooks Koepka just plays well in majors... gotta have a god shout.

The chancer in me however is crying out Jordan Spieth. Massively off the radar as he's been off form and had a horrendous US Open, but I've not seen anything of him since then, so I'm kind of thinking he may have just gone into hiding to work on his game. He's the current champion so knows how to win one of these and if he refinds his putting touch he's gotta be in with a shout.

Then throw in DJ, Garcia, Rory, Rahm, Rose, Fowler, Thomas, Woods, Noren, Molinari... it's just impossible to call.

Long shot.... Tyrell Hatton. His record at Carnoustie is crazy good.

Just had my first bet.

A 7/1 treble on -

Matsuyama (Top Japanese)
Noren (Top Swede)
Kaymer (Top German)

Matsuyama and Kaymer are pretty much nailed on. Stenson may have something to say about top Swede but I hear he's arrived with an elbow injury (indeed he withdrew from the Scottish Open last week), so I'm fairly confident thats a good bet.

Kaymer's short game is very suspect at the moment. He blew the BMW Championship in Germany a few weeks ago by thinning a pitch through the back of the 71st green and taking a bogey.

One thing you need to be able to do on baked hard fairways, is to nip the ball off the grass accurately.

And I don't think that we will see a Jap win the Open any time soon.

Noren is a good shout though.

Are you referring to the town or golf course.

And to be specific, which course did you play, because there are a number of courses in Troon?

Kaymer's short game is very suspect at the moment. He blew the BMW Championship in Germany a few weeks ago by thinning a pitch through the back of the 71st green and taking a bogey.

One thing you need to be able to do on baked hard fairways, is to nip the ball off the grass accurately.

And I don't think that we will see a Jap win the Open any time soon.

Noren is a good shout though.

Oh, yeah that bet isn't to win... it's just to be the top of their respective Nationalities.

Kaymer's only up against Bernard Langer.

Matsuyama needs to beat Tanihara, Kodaira and Ikeda.

Then it's basically Noren vs Stenson for top Swede.

Don;t think any of them will win the Open though. I'm still looking towards Spieth, Koepka or Fleetwood for that.

Yep, both good shouts.

Add Mcilory, Noren, Molinari, DJ, Thomas, Tiger, and about 6 others to the list too...

Tiger off to a decent start. He's 2 under through 4 holes.

Justin Thomas better at 4 under after 11.

Other notables:

Rory -1 (13)
Fleetwood -1 (14)

I had lunch in the Highland Marine.( the hotel on the 18th hole) The service was painfully slow and the food was not the best. I did register my disappointment.
I go to the area a lot with work. Troon itself is fine. The harbour has some decent restaurants, and much better hotels. The Highland just relies on the golf for its name, and I don’t play golf so it doesn’t work for me. There’s a hotel up the hill called the Lochgreen. It’s light years ahead.

This is heating up nicely.

Wonderful round by Super Tommy!

Rory in contention.

Tiger back at it after a couple of early bogeys.

Zach Johnson on the charge.

Great stuff.

I think the coverage has been very fair to be honest. Seem to be covering the whole field rather than just featured groups.

If you're expecting them not to show Tiger at all, thats never gonna happen. He's a legend. Sandy Lyle got plenty of coverage too... coz he's a legend. I's fair enough to me.

It just seems that every time I turn it on, or get in the car and turn the radio on, it's Tiger. I actually think it's disrespectful to the great golfers in the field.

Already in profit for the tournament.

Had a £10 accumulator yesterday.. Fleetwood, Day, Koepka and Woods all to win their 3 balls 20/1.

The other 3 had all won, and Woods was 3 shots behind Matsuyama going up the last, so had given up on it..... the Matsuyama makes triple bogey so they tie.

Still thought it was a losing bet but apparently if there's a tie on the 3 balls dead heat rules apply so won £100 :)

Best triple bogey ever!!