Thanks Spurs! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Thanks Spurs!

You have used the game as an example of how football is being ruined. The expectation would have been that you watched it?

I did see most of it on the box, but again, what’s that got to do with anything.

If you read my post I wasn’t talking about the actual game. I was referencing the posts above and all the minute scientific discussion going on about if a goal was or wasn’t awarded correctly.

What is ruining it for me is how it is no longer a reactionary and instantaneous sport. Each and every goal (and the celebrations) have to be put on hold and muted for at least a few minutes while someone not even directly involved in the action scrutinises every last minute detail.

And it’s taking longer and longer as time goes by and yet quite often after 5 minutes an incorrect decision is still made. Not that the issue for me is correctness. If they could absolutely guarantee a correct decision every time I still don’t think it’s worth the stop/pause/review every time. It’s sport not chess. And a lot of the decisions being investigated are still matters of opinion or viewpoint not black/white.

I did see most of it on the box, but again, what’s that got to do with anything.

If you read my post I wasn’t talking about the actual game. I was referencing the posts above and all the minute scientific discussion going on about if a goal was or wasn’t awarded correctly.

What is ruining it for me is how it is no longer a reactionary and instantaneous sport. Each and every goal (and the celebrations) have to be put on hold and muted for at least a few minutes while someone not even directly involved in the action scrutinises every last minute detail.

And it’s taking longer and longer as time goes by and yet quite often after 5 minutes an incorrect decision is still made. Not that the issue for me is correctness. If they could absolutely guarantee a correct decision every time I still don’t think it’s worth the stop/pause/review every time. It’s sport not chess. And a lot of the decisions being investigated are still matters of opinion or viewpoint not black/white.
Pretty sure these conversations were had well before VAR, in fact for about the last 5-10 years ever since 20 HD cameras are at games the over analysis has been rife.

All this has proven is that var cannot solve every problem. Sometimes decisions are just a matter of opinion, and down to the refs interpretation. The ref gave the goal, and i think these conversations prove that It certainly was not clear and obvioius either way, so the refs initial decision must stand. VAR was used absolutely correctly in this instance then as it has to be clear and obvious to turn it around. Plenty of refs have said that the law was applied correctly.

Var also correctly solved the man city last minute city goal and no one is suggesting this was wrong. It would have been an absolute robbery had it been allowed. So VAR worked very well. It also worked very well the night before to correctly save man u from a bad penalty decision early on in their game (although that was ultimately pointless as they got smashed anyway).

What i also find interesting is that it seems like the same people who said "you cant get rid of var, controversy and discussion over decisions is what footballs all about", who are also saying "var is ruining football because theres too much controversy and discussion".

One thing i would say is that theres been a few high profile hand ball decisions over the recent weeks. while plenty of refs have said the handball laws have been applied correctly in these instances, i think it shows that the laws seem to be at odds to what should be the case. So many ex pros saying the law is wrong each time it happens.

Last edited:
One thing i would say is that theres been a few high profile hand ball decisions over the recent weeks. while plenty of refs have said the handball laws have been applied correctly in these instances, i think it shows that the laws seem to be at odds to what should be the case. So many ex pros saying the law is wrong each time it happens.
You've hit the nail on the head; refs are inconsistent some of the time, which is music to the ears of the pro-VAR merchants. In rugby, the ref is quite specific in terms of giving pointers to the video ref rather than the video ref dictating to the man on the field.

You've hit the nail on the head; refs are inconsistent some of the time, which is music to the ears of the pro-VAR merchants. In rugby, the ref is quite specific in terms of giving pointers to the video ref rather than the video ref dictating to the man on the field.

When VAR was used in the FA cup this season it was only used if there was a clear and obvious error by the ref and to check goals (which according to Dermot Gallagher the other day will be standard when it comes in next season in the Premiership).

This week VAR correctly overturned three decisions that were wrong. Mane's disallowed goal for Liverpool (when he was on side), a penalty that was award against Utd (that wasn't a penalty) and Sterlings 'goal' that was offside.

Those three decisions were massive in the scheme of all three games at the time and could/ would have made a difference to the outcome. Personally I'd rather have the team's going through on merit rather than on a refs/linesman (sorry assistants) mistake.

I guess the choice of which side you're on in the VAR debate comes down to if you want the right decisions or the emotion.