Thanks Spurs! | Vital Football

Thanks Spurs!

Puts the expert opinion in to perspective again.

Spurs bought precisely no one in the last two transfer windows and the pundits were writing them off, even for the top four, for that reason.

As a follower of Spurs for over 50 years I could understand that if the players that Poch wanted were not available or were asking for too much money, he had the option of developing young British talent. Good on him. It is so easy to waste money and wages on the likes of Sanchez, Ozil and Morata.

They will need to add some quality and actually start winning trophies but this is another sign of progress.

Doing it without Kane, Dier and Winks and with Alli's wrist in a plaster cast makes it even more impressive.

Spurs bought precisely no one in the last two transfer windows and the pundits were writing them off, even for the top four, for that reason.

As a follower of Spurs for over 50 years I could understand that if the players that Poch wanted were not available or were asking for too much money, he had the option of developing young British talent. Good on him. It is so easy to waste money and wages on the likes of Sanchez, Ozil and Morata.

They will need to add some quality and actually start winning trophies but this is another sign of progress.

Doing it without Kane, Dier and Winks and with Alli's wrist in a plaster cast makes it even more impressive.

Plastic Gill :grinning:

How many teams do you support? Gills spurs rangers....any more?

Thought the whole point of VAR was to assist the ref, on the Llorente goal they continually showed him the angle where you couldn't see if the ball changed direction before hitting his thigh, which would have indicated it hit his arm first. If they'd showed him the angle from behind the goal he would have disallowed it, arm was in a natural position but irrelavent as the ball had travelled about 25 yards.

And yes I did have money on City winning the whole thing..

Thought the whole point of VAR was to assist the ref, on the Llorente goal they continually showed him the angle where you couldn't see if the ball changed direction before hitting his thigh, which would have indicated it hit his arm first. If they'd showed him the angle from behind the goal he would have disallowed it, arm was in a natural position but irrelavent as the ball had travelled about 25 yards.

And yes I did have money on City winning the whole thing..
I thought that at the time. The angle they showed was the worst of 3 available angles that sky were showing.

I think it 100% hit his hand. That is clear to see on the best angles. However that doesnt necessarily mean its hand ball. Was it in an unnatural position, or has he had ample time to get his hand out of the way?
We have seen a surge in penalties given when players have had their arms flaying about making their bodies bigger etc. There's been a push for players to keep their hands infront of their bodies and not flaying out besides them. So i think given he did in this instance have his arm in front of his body, you cant complain about it.

I dont think it made that much of a difference to the balls trajectory either, it still would have hit his body.

I think on the balance id have given the goal, and i say this as someone who would take great pleasure in spurs fecking up last night, since a good friend if mine is a spurs fan who wont shut up about them.

Theres then also the argument that it possibly hit laportes hand and you could also argue hes pushing llorente too.

How many teams do you support? Gills spurs rangers....any more?

Rangers? Glasgow or Queens Park?

I am definitely a plastic as Nathan says. Guilty as charged.

I always claim to support Gills but it is all relative as I have never lived in Medway and never been a season ticket holder. Even at my most active I have only ever seen half the home games in any one season. Also, the only away ground I have been to other than Wembley (twice) is the New Den.

I admire people that say they have only ever followed Gills and have never followed any team in the top division, but I think they are in the minority as at my school it was obligatory to follow a team in the top league. Gills would not have cut it.

I saw one game at the old White Hart Lane and attended the charity shield at Wembley in the early 80s (2-2 v Aston Villa). I have never been to any other Top League ground.

It is true that I prefer Glasgow Rangers to Celtic but I do not follow their results avidly. I also "support" Oxford in the Boat Race !!

I thought that at the time. The angle they showed was the worst of 3 available angles that sky were showing.

I think it 100% hit his hand. That is clear to see on the best angles. However that doesnt necessarily mean its hand ball. Was it in an unnatural position, or has he had ample time to get his hand out of the way?

Playing devil's advocate. I can never understand why some people think a goal should stand when it hits the scorer's arm and would not have gone in otherwise, just because it was unintentional.

I don't know what the rules say, but if the only reason the ball has crossed the line is due to the intervention of a hand (not the keeper's) it never seems like it should be a valid goal.

Of course, if the connection with the legal parts of Llorente's body would have taken the ball in anyway, that is another matter.

If the ball travels that far without being deflected and it hits the players arm (regardless of whether that arm is in a natural position or not) it's a free kick, you have more than enough time to get out the way.

Think Ajax will beat them anyway in the semi. Spurs will go all 'spursy' and lose one of the legs by a few goals.

It didn't hit his arm
Yes it did (imo). Took a slight deflection then on to the top of his leg/hip. I would have allowed the goal anyway as it clearly wasn't deliberate and the arm was not splayed out. I say this in spite of wanting City to win.

Ps, I don't agree that it is some sort of come back on City for the Wembley match. City fans are well used to pain, having lived in Manure's shadow for so long. Blame Halsey, not the other team.

If the ball travels that far without being deflected and it hits the players arm (regardless of whether that arm is in a natural position or not) it's a free kick, you have more than enough time to get out the way.

Think Ajax will beat them anyway in the semi. Spurs will go all 'spursy' and lose one of the legs by a few goals.
Did it not get slightly headed on by the player in front of him?

Didn’t hit his hand, but brushed the top of his forearm and then down onto his hip which knocked it into the goal. Very difficult call to make, really down to the ref’s opinion but would have been harsh to disallow it imo.

FMD. Reading these posts about the spurs goal is proving everything I absolutely detest about VAR.

F**k it right off before it totally ruins the great game. It is already doing a fantastic job at the moment actually (in ruining the game).