Ten Games in ........ | Vital Football

Ten Games in ........

LancsGordoRoad

Vital Champions League
After ten (EFL) games played, what do we think ?

Ten games in, there`s usually enough evidence upon which to make a considered judgement from the stands. Time to indulge ourselves, have a little fun and pick our starting line-ups ?

I`ll start the ball rolling......

Unusually, which is an understatement for the times we find ourselves in, GFC has struggled to inject any form of consistency into its starting line-ups. Even at the back, where injury hasn`t been so much of an issue, we`ve had very little commonality. Having so many new players doesn`t help, of course.

As Eric Morcambe once suggested, it`s all very well knowing the right musical notes, it`s putting them in the right order that counts ! In defense, seems we`ve struggled to find our fab-four, or fab-five. Does Ogilvie sit better at LB or should he be in the middle ?

From what i`ve seen Jack Tucker is first on the team list. Who is the best partner for him - this is clearly giving the bosses a headache? From a fan perspective, I prefer Medley. Young Zech has aerial prominence and speed. For me, Ogilvie should be at LB, even though O`Connor offers a more attacking option on the LHS. What about the RHS. Much as i really like Ryan Jackson, there have been times when he`s been unconvincing. But, apart from maybe Mackenzie, can anyone else do that job as well or better ?

First choice back line = Jackson/Mackenzie, Tucker, Medley, Ogilvie

Finding cohesion in the middle of the park has been a big challenge and certainly not helped by the injuries to O`Keefe and Dempsey. However, there is a fair amount of choice still available. Is it that we haven`t decided whether or not we are a team that wants to play the ball through the middle and get into the attack or a team that is happy to bypass the middle of the pitch ?

Have we got enough talent to play it through the middle ? My answer would be yes to that. A few weeks ago I was certainly very excited by the quality of young talent being recruited, especially midfielders. A glance at the pedigree of our young guys and the recruitment system that has got them to where they`re at, leaves little doubt that they offer high potential. Are we brave enough to use them?

Is it a coincidence that when we were playing better and picked up most of our points the trio of Roberston, Eccles and Coyle were a lot more involved ? Robertson and Eccles both take people on, push the opposition defense to its back foot and look capable of finding the back of the net. Coyle on the left allows Graham to play on his preferred right wing plus, they both offer decent crossing and the potential to cut-inside and gain the penalty area. Graham has been exceptional in most of our games, whether in midfield or further up as a forward. In Dempsey we have real quality and an experienced head to influence the younger men. MacDonald has bite, but perhaps a bit too much.

First choice midfield = Coyle, Eccles, Dempsey, Roberston, Graham

Up front we`ve tried all three of the main men. In Oliver we have someone who`s not going to stop running and has an impressive knack of winning the ball against the odds. As a lone man forward he can do the job. Samuel remains an enigma. On his day, he`s excellent, but is he consistent enough ? Akinde, another player that can frustrate the hell out of us - at Ipswich he showed what he is capable of - he put in the model performance of a power forward. There`s no doubt he can perform - he showed us ! Again, consistency is a challenge. To my mind, as things stand, i`d rather see one forward up front winning the ball and feeding an attacking midfield.

First choice front line = Oliver

So, basically a 4-5-1 or maybe a 5-4-1 as a preferred line-up.

After ten games, there`s been enough skill evidenced to suggest a decent season is possible. How far we succeed might be dependent on how brave our selection process is and how motivated SE and PR can keep some of the more experienced guys.

What is your preferred line-up and why ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I don't have a preferred line up as we have a decent squad with hardly any weak links. I was losing faith with Akinde but he at last put in a great performance last week and showed what most of us expected to see from his debut onwards.
We are on a poor run of results, but have been punished, too often, by naivety. With such a young squad that is not surprising. A Butters or Ashby for example, would have simply hammered the ball away if they were in the same position that led to Sunderland's second yesterday.
So 10 games in to a bizarre season and we have shot up and down the table. The top position has changed regularly and anyone really can beat anyone with no runaway team as yet. I hope we can get a confidence building win in soon. Chances will go in and we are not just the one dimensional hoofball to Oliver or Akinde but have strength on the flanks from Jackson and Graham. Willock and Dempsey should continue improve and create a bit more from midfield so all is not lost.
The main threat to GFC and all other clubs is Covid. PDPS said he could survive up to Christmas without fans. That means others will be even more on the brink of folding by then.
If we all survive then I 'm guessing 10th by Christmas and 8th by next May.
We won't be going down!!

I'm pretty much with you on this Lancs except I'd swap Medley to LB as I quite like him there and keep Ogilvie CB. Not totally convinced by Jackson but probably better going forward than McKenzie as he showed winning the pen
Creating chances has been one of our big issues so get Coyle in and Eccles who has looked decent so yeah, same midfield. And Oliver up top with Samuel to bring on to change it a bit - maybe a spell on the bench might get him to up his game

I think our midfield has energy with Dempsey, Eccles and Robertson in it. Its interesting that Lancs picks Coyle as well as Evans doesn't start him. I was looking forward to seeing Coyle but maybe the toughness of league one is too much of a step up at this stage of his career

I like watching Graham, the only real spark of creativity in the team. without him we really would be dull to watch.

Samuel has disappointed (especially when he goes over so easy -refs aren't buying it either). Oliver wins headers but has little pace and Akinde just seems disinterested (a half at Ipswich a side).

Defence is OK, not great but not this issue we need to fix.

To answer the question

Bonham

Jackson
Tucker
Medley
Ogilve

Eccles
Robertson
Graham
Dempsey

Oliver
Samuel

4-4-effing-2

Ogilvie partnering Jack at CB. Jacko and Medley FB’s.

Midfield. Dempsey, Robertson, Eccles, Graham (playing wide on his preferred side).

Up front Oliver with either Samuel or Coyle playing off him. Whichever one of those doesn’t start, if we aren’t scoring give him more than 10 mins to make a difference.

When we are defending, 2 banks of four please.

We are in a bit of a hole at the moment and it's easy to be too critical. The nature of our project and consequent squad is that we have a number of players learning to deal with the physical rigours of League One football at the same time. I don't think we disagree much on defence, most forward picks would share at least one of the two berths. It's midfield where we are likely to differ most and where I think the difference matters most. We can't afford all but one (Dempsey) of our picks to struggle to win the ball and keep it. The youngsters will learn but assuming all fit I'd go for this 11.

Bonham, Jackson, Tucker, Medley, Ogilvie, Dempsey, MacDonald, O'Connor, Eccles, Graham, Samuel.

Eccles is interchangeable but there's room for only one of them for the next few games. Lumping it forward is no solution for us because Akinde & Oliver are low scorers and not very mobile. Either makes more sense if we have something to defend. Get a few points and a bit of confidence and MacDonald retires to the bench. Ogilvie & O'Connor can switch mid game and either front man can play a deeper role.

Remembered that of course the next few games covers MacDonald's suspension. I think Dempsey and O'Connor must play and I'd probably pick Robertson to replace MacDonald.

Last edited:
I suspect that SE would like to play O`Connor if at all possible. We`ve had a "gap" on the LHS and that has too frequently led to Graham having to switch wings. I assumed acquisition of O`Connor was SE`s "solution" to the LHS.

But in a starting line-up, unless O`Connor anchors the midfield, there is unlikely to be a place for the more attacked minded LHS option of Coyle. There`s also Ogilvie to consider; having him at LB allows Coyle to fit in. Putting O`Connor there (with Ogilvie at CB) leaves little or no room for Coyle to start.

I guess it`s good to have choices, they allow custom set-up, but, notwithstanding injury, it seems that SE has yet to work out which is his best play down the Left..

The MK Dons loss was really disappointing after a relatively positive start. Since then, we've played Fleetwood, Portsmouth, Sunderland and Ipswich - 4 teams who have all won at least 5 games this season so far and were always in the promotion reckoning. Hull was no shock either, really, so 5 of the 6 losses make complete sense to me.

Generally I'm not too worried - we are about where I expected us at this point given the schedule.

Interestingly our next 16 league games (until we face Sunderland again, at the SoL on 30 January) include: Peterborough, Lincoln, Charlton, Doncaster Rovers, who are all in the top 8 and strong sides.

But there is also: Crewe (x2), Wimbledon, Brizzle R, Accrington (x2), Swindon, Rochdale (x2), Plymouth, Burton Albion and Northampton.

I'm much more inclined to assess us against 12 of those next 16 games, simply because they are the bar of competition I expect us to be fighting at.

So in short, I'll reserve more full judgement until Jan 26th! :)

10 games gone 10 points won, 36 games to get 42 more points, not easy. We need to stay solvent and in this division. It is not going to be easy doing either. We also need a good cup run as every penny counts. I can't see fans being allowed in until well into the new year, by which time we may well no longer operating as a football club. A financial bale out from some source or other is vitally needed asap.

Yes 10 games in we should be able to judge

My view is we're 2/3 places below where we'd expect, and should be.

This League (which is not very strong this year judging by what we've seen of the 'top' teams) splits into 3
- the 'Top six' so-called Big clubs - all in top 7 now except Lincoln
- a group of 9 where we should be (Doncaster, Fleetwood etc down to Bristol Rov, Blackpool inc Oxford) who are on a par with us ; maybe 3 of these have sig. more funds so we should expect to be 9th - 14th
- a group of 9 who are 'small' clubs ; Crewe, Rochdale, Acc, Wombles, etc, plus Wigan this yr because of finances, who we should be above

Allowing for a difficult run of games and injuries etc we are prob equiv to 11/12th now, so 2/3 places below 9th which would be a good/above average season.

We have two weak areas that prob mean we will be a lillte lower than we should. These are centre-backs and strikers, key areas of course where similar teams to us overall are stronger.
any 2 from Tucker, Maghoma, Ogilvie, Medley at c/back is poor for Lge 1. and any 2 from Akinde, Oliver, Samuel is also a bit below average

Nothing we can do before the Jan window except stick with a consistent team, and dont rely on the 'kids'
So: Bonham, Jackson, Tucker Ogilvie, O'Connor; Dempsey, MacKenzie, Robertson; Graham, Akinde, Samuel

Then Mr Evans can use his 'renowned' wheeler dealer skills in Jan to get in a centre-back and striker, and a few of the bench sitters out

Looking at the league table it looks incredibly tight this at the moment. I know budgets were limited this season .It is starting to look like there won't be much between the play off's and relegation zone.So every last point will be vital.

There are a lot of teams with big spending power in this league - more than usual. At the start of the season, I considered that mid-table would represent success. I haven't really changed my mind, but the two long-term injuries haven't done us any favours. I'll settle for staying in the division. As for performances - up and down. I don't think Steve really knows his best side yet. Not having an experienced centre back is hurting us, and I still think the manager missed a trick not signing a young and untested striker who's lightning quick. We're a bit ponderous. Still, at least I expect to stay up, rather than being relegated. So that's an improvement.

There are a lot of teams with big spending power in this league - more than usual. At the start of the season, I considered that mid-table would represent success. I haven't really changed my mind, but the two long-term injuries haven't done us any favours. I'll settle for staying in the division. As for performances - up and down. I don't think Steve really knows his best side yet. Not having an experienced centre back is hurting us, and I still think the manager missed a trick not signing a young and untested striker who's lightning quick. We're a bit ponderous. Still, at least I expect to stay up, rather than being relegated. So that's an improvement.
On the subject of strikers I would not be shocked if Akindie left in January or at the end of the season. He is a excellent signing for a league two side.As you say we haven't got that unpredictable young quick striker. But I can't see Scally being in a position to allow any extra salaries.So someone has to leave. Another opinion perhaps would be to return a loan player. Possibly a defender. This might allow for the signing of a experienced defender and sign a new striker on loan if indeed one of our strikers had left.

Why are you so obsessed with Akinde leaving?
As has been said we lack variety. Samuel and Oliver have just signed so it is hard to see who else would leave? Oliver is better than Akindie as a hold up player winning headers and stuff. They are certainly not a ideal combination. Samuel will always out score both of them probably put together.Scally will simply not have funds for more money to be spent on wages so unless we sell a player or someone is moved on we can't bring anyone in .We might not have enough to stop a relegation fight .I believe it will be very tight this year unless sides go under.

Last edited:
I agree that Oliver and Akinde are similar players, and that so far this season Oliver has been better in the air. However, Oliver won't be on form (or necessarily fit) all season and the way we play really does need a strong forward. We'd be screwed if something happened to Oliver.

I really rate Oliver but I reckon he is also by far the slowest player in our team. He doesn't have the pace, certainly over 5/10 yards, to get onto passes and claim loose balls. I'm not saying Akinde is rapid but he's has the legs to do better in those situations. Oliver would never be able to do what Akinde did in the 2nd half versus Ipswich for example (when he ran past a few guys from the half way line to get to their box). If Samuel is out wide with Oliver up top it limits the different types of situations we can exploit in my opinion.

I agree that Oliver and Akinde are similar players, and that so far this season Oliver has been better in the air. However, Oliver won't be on form (or necessarily fit) all season and the way we play really does need a strong forward. We'd be screwed if something happened to Oliver.

I really rate Oliver but I reckon he is also by far the slowest player in our team. He doesn't have the pace, certainly over 5/10 yards, to get onto passes and claim loose balls. I'm not saying Akinde is rapid but he's has the legs to do better in those situations. Oliver would never be able to do what Akinde did in the 2nd half versus Ipswich for example (when he ran past a few guys from the half way line to get to their box). If Samuel is out wide with Oliver up top it limits the different types of situations we can exploit in my opinion.
Could he not play Samuel up top if Akindie or indeed Oliver were off loaded?Assuming that the other was unavailable?

Could he not play Samuel up top if Akindie or indeed Oliver were off loaded?Assuming that the other was unavailable?
I mean that is what would happen but Samuel is a very different player to the other two in my opinion. He's not a guy who will win headers and hold the ball up - which is what our style of play relies upon.

I mean that is what would happen but Samuel is a very different player to the other two in my opinion. He's not a guy who will win headers and hold the ball up - which is what our style of play relies upon.
I personally think that having the guy who is most likely to score playing deeper in a wide position is somewhat odd.I don't remember Simeon Jackson having to play out wide.

I personally think that having the guy who is most likely to score playing deeper in a wide position is somewhat odd.I don't remember Simeon Jackson having to play out wide.
Now this I do agree with. I think we need to switch to 442 and get our best finisher in the box more.

Unfortunately it appears we going for the 451/433 combo this season.