Team vs Liverpool | Page 3 | Vital Football

Team vs Liverpool

FT

I'm worried, but if we get the new defender and defensive midfielder in sharpish it will help.

Aarons not tracking back for the 2nd.
Redknapp can't understand why we didn't mark salah on the edge of the box. Neither can I.
Like last time in this league we gave teams way too much space and sane tonight. Lots of decent attacking movement from us but no end product and lack of pace upfront. Idah looks to not have pace but bulk.

Just got back from the game . At times only Max and Cantwell had a real go and the rest of them looked clueless . Pukki is no premier league striker . I worry for the season as we just don’t look a Prem quliaty outfit .

The new lads didn’t impress me at all , although Rashica had a couple of good runs

Some fans on Facebook saying Giannoulis was so good tonight? Was I watching a different game.

Just got back from the game . At times only Max and Cantwell had a real go and the rest of them looked clueless . Pukki is no premier league striker . I worry for the season as we just don’t look a Prem quliaty outfit .

The new lads didn’t impress me at all , although Rashica had a couple of good runs
Pukki's chance was great movement but his shot was so poor. Straight at allison.

Farke said we had to respect the quality of Liverpool today...why? Did that.

Also he said we looked tired after 60 minutes and he understands that as he played players who were still not fit. So why didn't he change it then instead of waiting until it was 0-3 and the 78th minute?

Also interesting that he said Hanley had to play even though he wasn't ready. If omobamidele was fit would he have started and if that's the case then DF doesn't trust Zimmermann....New CB, please.

Some fans on Facebook saying Giannoulis was so good tonight? Was I watching a different game.
Football is strange. From the River End, Giannoulis looked impressive. And, I could see several wins ahead this season but unfortunately not when we are outclassed in every department.

Last edited:
Football is strange. From the River End, Giannoulis looked impressive. And, I could see several wins ahead this season but unfortunately not when we are outclassed in every department.
Very true. Even the norwich official social ,Edina account said Giannoulis was superb.

I just hope we can pick up points against Arsenal and Leicester .

I missed the first 25 minutes of the game due to the disgraceful non working season ticket farce where hundreds of us were sent round to the scrum outside the ticket office to sort it out, so Gio might have been ok then .But over the 90 minutes we were nowhere near good enough. ‘Well,we were playing Liverpool and we were never going to beat them ‘ bleated some which translated to me that we had given up before a ball was kicked. Much improvement needed and I hope it comes very soon

We were outclassed but as always we were predictable to make it easy for them.
They moved ball box to box with 3 passes as we did not press and we could not pass out of our own box so Krul hit long to centre where V Dijk won every single header against invisible Pukki. At least he could have kicked it wide.

Arons had the beating of their LB but when he did get to by line crosses were poor or maybe it was that nobody actually got into the box.

Shame Gibson missed an open goal at end so we were not straight in bottom 3.
3 1 would have been a fairer score.

Van D tired at the end so if DF had actually made subs earlier and put pressure on him on the ground we would have had the good last 5 minutes, over 15 mins
and scored.

At start of second half we were doing well so Klopp made 2 subs which secured the win for them. DF stood there doing nothing and at 3 0 we gave up.
If the subs had been made just after theirs to counter them it may have been a different story.

I cannot help thinking that Brentford or Watford at 1 down at start of second half would have had a real go. We didn't and that if why they have a better chance of staying up.

Last edited:
Ok my views on the game.

1) gianni was poor first half but improved 2nd half.
2) pukki should of shot across goal not straight at GK, sunday lge effort.
3)?Gilmour overunn would prefer him as a ACM not CDM which we need urgently
4) gibson woeful open goal effort at the end.
5) Max decent game not brilliant but still cant cross a road
6) new boys were decent, hard to judge against lpool, i thought seargeant after all my downers on him actually looked very good when he came on and i would like to see him start soon if pukki carries on with poor finishing.
7) DF again as always left subs way too late when we went 2 down was the time to do them.
8) we looked weak in att and porous yet again at the back which needs urgent action.
9) im not concerned after 1 game and loss to too world class team, same will happen next week, our season starts the week after for me.
10) ground is totally covid unsafe, the que for food and bogs at h/t in regency was a disgrace and the ques to get in the ground were even worse!

Forgot to add, it was plainly obvious from about min10 that salah and TAA down our right were overunning us, this was looked at by DF until we went s goal down, time and time again those two especially TAA had so much time and space, it lead to first goal, milot & gianni were constantly on at each other about this and neither knew what to do, eventually TC got moved over there and did better, but as usual DF reacted too late.
Also wtf did we leave Mane and salah alone at the back of our box unmarked for every corner?? This went on for entire game and low n behold Salah got his goal because of that, DF didnt recognise this for the entire match, really poor management, we stuck all 11 in the centre of the box, why not leave pukki out with Mo and mane? Lpool only had two big boys in the tram in VVD & Matip, doesnt require 10 men to defend those two does DF??

Last edited:
A tough first game, as we all expected.
I thought the first 15 mins we moved the ball around well but Liverpool gradually pushed us back and started to press us strongly. Krul had no option but to kick it long and these goal kicks were easily dealt with as we had no height up top to compete. That’s been the way we play for the last four years though, just against better players its much harder to pass out from the back.
I thought all three of their goals were avoidable and the first two were sloppy from us, although Liverpool benefitted from Salah’s poor control for the first and got lucky again with Hanley’s deflection for the second. Firmino was allowed to get a tap-in though, which was worrying.
The third was criminal defending and I think it should be up to the players on the pitch to note what Salah was doing and send someone closer to him. Give players of that ability all the time in the world and they will punish you.
Giannoulis looked a real threat going forwards but he needs to work on his defending. He put several decent crosses into the box throughout the game but by 60 mins Pukki’s fuel tank was empty And there was nobody in the box. That’s when Sargent/Idah should’ve come on for him.
Gilmour playing at CDM struck me as a needs must type of pick but Sorensen would almost certainly have done a better job there. We still have the loan space available for Skipp and clearly the club are waiting on Spurs’ decision On him.
Having said that, Gilmour is excellent on the ball and better as a “number 8” type midfielder.
No point getting bent out of shape about losing to a world class team on opening day, especially after the disrupted pre-season. I thought Hanley was very good, considering not kicking a ball in pre-season due to injury.
Next week will be even tougher and I hope Farke and the players learn from this because it was a stark reminder of the quality of the opposition and how any mistake will be punished. As FY76 said, the season begins properly from Leicester at home…

I missed the first 25 minutes of the game due to the disgraceful non working season ticket farce where hundreds of us were sent round to the scrum outside the ticket office to sort it out, so Gio might have been ok then .But over the 90 minutes we were nowhere near good enough. ‘Well,we were playing Liverpool and we were never going to beat them ‘ bleated some which translated to me that we had given up before a ball was kicked. Much improvement needed and I hope it comes very soon
Some fans on facebook saying same thing about the man ciry game. I go into every game hoping we win.

We were outclassed but as always we were predictable to make it easy for them.
They moved ball box to box with 3 passes as we did not press and we could not pass out of our own box so Krul hit long to centre where V Dijk won every single header against invisible Pukki. At least he could have kicked it wide.

Arons had the beating of their LB but when he did get to by line crosses were poor or maybe it was that nobody actually got into the box.

Shame Gibson missed an open goal at end so we were not straight in bottom 3.
3 1 would have been a fairer score.

Van D tired at the end so if DF had actually made subs earlier and put pressure on him on the ground we would have had the good last 5 minutes, over 15 mins
and scored.

At start of second half we were doing well so Klopp made 2 subs which secured the win for them. DF stood there doing nothing and at 3 0 we gave up.
If the subs had been made just after theirs to counter them it may have been a different story.

I cannot help thinking that Brentford or Watford at 1 down at start of second half would have had a real go. We didn't and that if why they have a better chance of staying up.
I agree