Team vs Forest 18 | Page 7 | Vital Football

Team vs Forest 18

Did we really expect to go up this season? I know we are always hopeful and optimistic but thinking back to the end of last season, I don't remember posts on here saying we would go up. I do remember a lot of posts saying we needed to get rid of the deadwood - Martin, Jerome, Naismith etc. Tick. I remember people talking about including the youth. Breakthrough seasons for Maddison and Lewis - tick. People talked about our defence and that needed sorting - again tick!

It was never a one season answer to the issues. This is just typical German mentality - sort out the defence first. Then concentrate on scoring goals. Two part plan.

99% we will lose Maddison, possibly Klose but he seems pretty loyal. Oliveira is average at best so no loss there is he goes. Other than that I expect the team to remain largely unchanged. Add to that a few breakthroughs from the U23's, Abrahams, Mourgos, Godfrey, Cantwell, then add a couple of signings.

We will be hard to beat - we already are. And being the optimist, we will be good going forward! Next season will be the year the decline is reversed.

Good post Nodders
I for one had no expectations of even the play offs this season
As you say this smacks of German mentality and I have no reason not to trust in that
The future looks promising but having said all that I do expect a serious challenge next season and a massive uplift in our attacking technique and style of play

I say time after time, why do fans expect to challenge for play offs next season when we are miles off the pace this season ?
I did not expect to go up but what I did expect was not to be below clubs with far less income
( binners / millwall / brentford / preston ).

As Nodders says we will be without Maddison and maybe Klose, with fees being swallowed up on
the deficit on lack of parachute payments so is this optimism based on division 2 german players with an occasional youth player breaking into squad being adequate to finish in top 6 and ahead of teams missing out on promotion this season and 3 coming down from premier league.

The deadwood has not been cleared yet ( High earners Naismith and Martin remain along with sick note Jarvis ) and who will buy them.
Agreed Lewis has broken into the team and Maddison was always a prospect but DF does
not seem to trust too many youngsters.
The defence has been sorted but after 7 months DF has just thought of a 2 point plan to score
which failed miserably on its first test last night.

Patience may well be the key but whilst I am nodding off during home games who can explain to me why we will be better next season ?

A unified team
A tight dressing room
Players who want to play for the club
A good and passionate coach
We may not be the best but it won’t be lack of effort...

We will be challenging because we will keep our 60-70% possession, lots of clean sheets but add goals. It is a personnel issue this season - we haven't had the strikers. I would be shocked if we didn't invest in a striker in the summer - or have one on loan, and I expect some U23's to push for a place.

We can go toe to toe right now - we just can't score! And I know that is the point of the game but it will come - and assuming we don't suddenly forget how to pass - top 6 is minimum next season.

I say what I see , and what I see in front of my very own eyes tell me that the whole team is at best a lower mid table team . The League table doesn’t lie .....we are where we are because of what we are .
As for next season I have as much hope as the posters above and I desparetly hope we will be successful, but our Board does not have a good record in spending big to strengthen the team . If Klose and Maddison go I fear we may never see the cash raised used to strengthen the team as this will be the first season in SEVEN years we will have lost Premier League income . That huge loss will have to be covered by player sales leaving little for team building, and that may well leave us with a weaker team than the current one standing at 14th place in the Championship