Team vs Birmingham (A) | Page 9 | Vital Football

Team vs Birmingham (A)

DF said we did enough to win - that statement is pathetic and condescending - no we bloody didnt cus we didnt win - wakeup DF we need to do more and its one simple answer - score more than them and get the three points, then and only then have we done enough

Looking at that, We should have scored more than 2.

Yes we should have scored more than two. I know because I was there. We were by far the better team early on and should have settled it earlier instead of allowing Birmingham back into it.

On the positive side, Birmingham looked a lot brighter than on Boxing Day last season and to give Norwich credit,they didn’t give up trying and came back each time.

Yes there is a lot to do still but they didn’t lose and it was a decent away point first game of season.

I wonder who is happier tonight pointswise. .....GM or DF?

Just back from the game. Heads still buzzing after that one. We were the better team by a long way in terms of football but our issue was at times we went sideways and backwards a little TOO much and we would ef up and hit a pass without enough power and let them right in. They could have scored 1 or 2 just from us doing that - nothing that they actually worked for themselves, which is concerning.

Surprised to read the negative comments regarding Hanley today (I presume RN had said that) really strange as I thought Hanley had a blinder. He was all over the shop in terms of position but thats because he was drawn out of it so often as others were just not there. He cleaned up nearly everything that came near him and saved us a few times. The only bad decision was his running all the way back as he could have given a penalty away, but I suppose if he didn't their player would have been 1 on 1 anyway so what do you do???

Husband was the problem today, he was just AWFUL. I'd have had Whittaker back in a heart beat at times in that first half. He just didn't do anything, literally nothing except give the ball away or lose possession. Liability. Well done DF taking him off on 64 mins or so, totally changed us for the better.

On another day we could have scored 5 today, Rhodes should have had 2, Hernandez a hat trick. Honestly guys , Brums only real chances today and even where their goals came from were mistakes by us , not great play from them. We have a young squad and many new faces again , I'm hopeful things will progress as the season goes on. McLean was very impressive, looked like he has years of champ experience under his belt already. Leitner seemed to grow into the game and the better we did, the better he became...definitely he needs confidence for us to see the best of him.

All in all, a brilliant day out and a great away day . A few negatives but things that can be worked on but many positives in my opinion. Keep the faith guys.

Oh and also, fair play to Russ Martin.... in the away end today with his son means as he wasnt playing. Don't get me wrong I am so glad he wasnt playing ... but can't fault that!

38496537_10217036554204826_8557993568759709696_n.jpg

Thanks for the write up Nathan and well done to you and Sminky for going today . Away days are a big effort as I know so well , so a last gasp goal makes it all amazing as I sampled at Fulham on the first day last season . Glad you enjoyed it !

Just back from the game. Heads still buzzing after that one. We were the better team by a long way in terms of football but our issue was at times we went sideways and backwards a little TOO much and we would ef up and hit a pass without enough power and let them right in. They could have scored 1 or 2 just from us doing that - nothing that they actually worked for themselves, which is concerning.

Surprised to read the negative comments regarding Hanley today (I presume RN had said that) really strange as I thought Hanley had a blinder. He was all over the shop in terms of position but thats because he was drawn out of it so often as others were just not there. He cleaned up nearly everything that came near him and saved us a few times. The only bad decision was his running all the way back as he could have given a penalty away, but I suppose if he didn't their player would have been 1 on 1 anyway so what do you do???

Husband was the problem today, he was just AWFUL. I'd have had Whittaker back in a heart beat at times in that first half. He just didn't do anything, literally nothing except give the ball away or lose possession. Liability. Well done DF taking him off on 64 mins or so, totally changed us for the better.

On another day we could have scored 5 today, Rhodes should have had 2, Hernandez a hat trick. Honestly guys , Brums only real chances today and even where their goals came from were mistakes by us , not great play from them. We have a young squad and many new faces again , I'm hopeful things will progress as the season goes on. McLean was very impressive, looked like he has years of champ experience under his belt already. Leitner seemed to grow into the game and the better we did, the better he became...definitely he needs confidence for us to see the best of him.

All in all, a brilliant day out and a great away day . A few negatives but things that can be worked on but many positives in my opinion. Keep the faith guys.

Oh and also, fair play to Russ Martin.... in the away end today with his son means as he wasnt playing. Don't get me wrong I am so glad he wasnt playing ... but can't fault that!

38496537_10217036554204826_8557993568759709696_n.jpg
Great write up, mind if I stick it on the front page?

Ha ha ........ extended highlights with Brummy commentary. Just listen to the Brum commentator when we score in the last few seconds ! Ha ha !

Last edited:
Love it! They suddenly weren't so confident about themselves when that leveller goes in. Mad to hear the sound in the beginning of that video from the home fans , sounds like the atmosphere was buzzing! It was dead silence the whole game from them except when they had scored each time. Chants like "Only sing when you're winning", "We forgot you were hear" "Your support is ** ***" was a common theme through the game.

As you say, Nathan, I am glad Martin not in the side but good on him going. I am guessing his son is a fan? How could he see when all were standing? Did any fans talk to him? I never had an issue with him personally. Maybe better as a coach just don't want him to play again for us.

As you say, Nathan, I am glad Martin not in the side but good on him going. I am guessing his son is a fan? How could he see when all were standing? Did any fans talk to him? I never had an issue with him personally. Maybe better as a coach just don't want him to play again for us.

Early on in the game there was a short chant of “There’s only one Russell Martin”. I was a bit confused by that but I guess he was spotted in the crowd. Fair play to him for taking his son. Whatever fans think of him now, past his sell by date and all that, he has served our team well in the past except on a few occasions"........that Liverpool howler springs to mind. I still have flashbacks now!

Yep fans were talking to him and he seemed to be getting on with people fine - his son is a fan yeah having been born in Norwich. There was a gap in front of them so they were able to see as far as I could tell! There were a few Russ Martin chants going which must've confused a lot over the other end "There's only one russ martin" , "Russel Martin the Norfolk Cafu " as well as at the Brum defender "You're just a sh1t russel martin" which must have been the most offensive chant of the day to them. :grinning:

Good to hear. Did he enjoy those chants and the late goal?

On another note I see Ipswich look like losing two players in Waghorn and Knudson.

He laughed and clapped and held his son up when it was chanted, well the first two anyway lol, he did seem passionate when that last equaliser went in , although I think conscious he had his son with him! I've always said I can't fault Russ Martin as a person or his love of our club, I just didn't want him to play as he wasnt good enough.

I read Ipswich have told Hurst he can spend 100% of anything he brings in so probably needs to sell to add some of his own players.