Team v Wigan | Page 13 | Vital Football

Team v Wigan

Just back home myself after a 5am start. The game was summed up well by YB in that we were very average at best today. Our passing (or attempted passing) reminded me for large parts as that disjointed side from last year. Cantwell is one of us and yes we should support him however you should always play your best 11 and currently he shouldn't be in that. I can't stress enough how important it is we start with Vrancic and Leitner for Friday. We're now 7 clear with 4 to go...surely 1 win would secure promotion? Then go from there. Last trip of the season for me will be the 565 mile round trip for final home game v Blackburn . Let's finish the job City !!!

Heroics Nathan , and you are a hero for what you have done today . Being an exile means EVERY game is an away game , and like it was for me for 43 years , home games are always the longest journeys .

It is now time that DF woke up and realised that Cantwell is unfortunaly not up to this critical run in and neither is McLean .

2 things to consider Daniel Farke

1. Leitner and Vrancic must start on Friday

2. don’t wait until there are just 15 miniutes to go before changing things to get the wins we need.

I even still got the old GIF saved however it seems no one can add it however they can add a Villa one? :shrug:View attachment 32469

Yes I know Nathan - you sent it to me and I sent it onto Vital admin but didnt change anything.

I dont understand why we cant have it - programming wise it should not be difficult - add in a data item to each team that is their colours, make the gif have wlldcard settings that pick up the colour data so when you boot up your team the gif changes to your teams scarf. It was done before the "modern" version. As usual soup something up and backwards we go

On this exact date 4 years ago we beat Leeds 0-2 away with a masterful performance as we marched towards Wembley and the Premier League

We now need that kind of performance on Friday to take us to the brink of promotion

On this exact date 4 years ago we beat Leeds 0-2 away with a masterful performance as we marched towards Wembley and the Premier League

We now need that kind of performance on Friday to take us to the brink of promotion

Hopefully we will. Happy memories of that day 4 years ago.

Funny old game that yesterday - would say probably our worst performance since August for me, as noted we looked disjointed!

But, we still got a point and they only scored from a penalty which was never ever a penalty (the ref was atrocious)

Performance wise - Krul was superb, and I thought Godfrey and Zimbo did well too. Cantwell was ok (he was much better than hernandez, Stiepermann and McLean, who were all rubbish)

Agree it probably needs a little freshen up on Friday albeit I think it’d be harsh on Cantwell who as I say above was not the issue yesterday

Pukki’s finish for the goal was also brilliant!

When you can get a point away from home not playing well in this league you take it - still a 7 point gap over Sheffield United, and if Nottingham Forest can do the unthinkable and win at Sheff Utd on Friday then we could be up by the weekend....!

Was also clear on the pitch and for me in the crowd there were some nerves creeping in - let’s hope we can all get behind the boys (whatever side Daniel picks!) on Friday and get them over the line!

Agree Olly.
I was not impressed with Mclean ( who was finally relieved of dead ball duties )
and if one change is to be made is Vrancic in for him. but there really should be room for Leitner.

There certainly wont be a problem about getting behind the boys on Friday...everyone is still and will be buzzing like a bee hive.
IMO I thing Steiperman had the worst game along with Hernandez and Cantwell, Cantwell needs dropping, but we all know Steiperman and Hernadez can be awesome....Vrancic should come in for McClean (Agreed) No brainer about Leitner also coming in.

Leitner is a class act and it’s a no brainer... he has to play. I wouldn’t drop Stiepermann as anyone can have an off day . We all have differing opinions and I respect that , but I agree with Michael Bailey when he says that sadly Cantwell has been overtaken by the improvement in the quality of the team . We all love the local lad , and it’s a shame he has had to fill Buendia boots ,but promotion is more important than any single player so it would be McLean and Cantwell dropped for me and Vrancic and Leitner In

Yes agreed. It is finally time for DF to change a starting team line up.
In this case it is not changing a winning team so no excuses.

However plays I hope they realise that we simply HAVE to win . No lazy starts like Wednesday .... just go out there and destroy Wigan , and remember just what our 5000 fans are going to have to put with to be there to support the team . DO NOT LET US DOWN

Didn’t do it really did we ?

I see Canrwell has put a post up about always trying to be the best he can and will keep going which seems to be aimed at fans so maybe he has seen some of the comments on him. I agree that Steipermann and Hernandez were worse than Cantwell. I also feel a bit for Cantwell because he is an attacking midfielder and this season he has played on the left and is now on the right wing which means he can't play to his potential... still I think Vrancic for Todd is a must

I see Canrwell has put a post up about always trying to be the best he can and will keep going which seems to be aimed at fans so maybe he has seen some of the comments on him. I agree that Steipermann and Hernandez were worse than Cantwell. I also feel a bit for Cantwell because he is an attacking midfielder and this season he has played on the left and is now on the right wing which means he can't play to his potential... still I think Vrancic for Todd is a must

Yes there were some idiots tweeting at him after the game which I saw - which is a great shame, because as you say he is trying to fill Buendia’s boots (which is tough enough!), and also not his natural position. I really hate that some people feel the need to be so negative as to tweet and message him directly - unacceptable behaviour imo and happy to see the responses to his message are universally positive and behind him!

As for team for Friday - personally I would move McLean forward (I’m not sure he deserves to be dropped, despite a poor performance at Wigan he still got an assist and has chipped in with goals/assists over the past two months, which makes me think he can play further forward and might be more his natural game), and put Leitner in alongside Trybull

Harsh on Cantwell to drop him, and maybe harsh on Vrancic to not start him - but I do think McLean has been very underrated in the way he has played since he came into the side, not in his preferred position deeper.

I’d maybe consider personally Vrancic for Stiepermann (who to me looks tired) but highly doubt DF would do that

As long as there is a change / are changes by DF as one more slip up and Leeds will be winning the title.
He cannot keep same team that is not playing well / winning just as this is what he always does.

Yes there were some idiots tweeting at him after the game which I saw - which is a great shame, because as you say he is trying to fill Buendia’s boots (which is tough enough!), and also not his natural position. I really hate that some people feel the need to be so negative as to tweet and message him directly - unacceptable behaviour imo and happy to see the responses to his message are universally positive and behind him!
Agreed. Cantwell situation is very interesting as still no contract signed and his deal runs out in June. The club has a one year option. The club either:

Take the one year option and then loan out for six months then see how he does and offer new deal but Cantwell might then decide to run down contract.
Take one year option and keep him here but he will play minimal games in prem so he would prob just run down the deal.
Take one year option and try to sell.

Release him

Offer new 3 year deal and then loan out for season - but Cantwell won't want that will he.

Offer him 3 year deal and then play him next season.

I know the club offered him a new deal but he hasn't signed it as it didn't match his needs. I think he probably wants assurances that he will play.

Couldn’t agree more about idiots tweeting Cantwell Olly . It certainly won’t help the confidence of our local lad . What he needs now is withdrawing from the ‘firing line ‘ and have an arm out round him by Farke . I am sure he is trying his best and will do his best , but in football it’s always the team that comes first . I see on the Pink Un poll only 5% of fans want him to start on Friday . That is not a criticism of Todd , just a desire to see the right and strongest team picked to see us over the line and into the Prem