Team of Players Gills missed out on? | Vital Football

Team of Players Gills missed out on?

Bert

Vital Reserves Team
Over the years The Gills have missed out on many good players. Either born locally and missed, triallists sent away, youth teamers released and loan players who we could perhaps have signed if we had taken the plunge. Just a few examples to give you the idea: -
Firstly and probably the most obvious..Peter Beardsley, came on trial with Steve Bruce and sent packing.

Sean Raggett, currently on loan at Portsmouth from Norwich. Was he the player released by Martin Allen because he forgot his passport for a pre-season trip to France, or was that Davis?

Tony Godden was born in Gordon Road in a house overlooking the ground. Went on to play over 250 games in goal for West Bromwich, who signed him from Ashford Town.

Derek Hales born in Lower Halstow, played for the Gills at the end of his career but could have been signed at a much younger age.

Jack Marriott came on loan from Ipswich and was given about 4 minutes to make an impression. Would he have signed for us when released by Ipswich if he had been treated better?

Doubtless there are many others?

In terms of transfer targets we wanted but didn’t get....

Mark Kinsella - wife wanted him to sign for a Championship side (she was proved right)
Dwight Gayle - Allen tried to sign from D&R(?) before he went to Peterborough
Kieran Agard (not fussed)

Of course Messi. Dear old Buster Collins went to Argentina to scout this 9 year old everyone was raving about but the chairman refused to agree to the players demands for a weekly supply of sherbet lemons and a year's subscription to Four Four Two magazine and the cherub slipped through our fingers.

Neil "Razor" Ruddock came from Ashford and his older brother Gary was a regular for the local Sunday League team called Fox Sunday, who I played against.

Neil has mentioned that he did play some games for Fox so I may have played against him as well, although I am not sure.

He would only have been about 14 or 15 and it would obviously have been before he signed his first pro contract with Millwall.

Don't think that he was ever on our scouting radar.

yeah George was a Rainham lad , i worked with his dad big Palace fan but Charlton beat us to him . Beardsley apparently was down to lack of cash so Gerry recommended him to Carlisle. One we did miss out on Kerry Dixon Chelsea offered him less money then we did.

Depends how big your catchment area is. David Sadler was from Yalding and went straight from Maidstone to Manchester United and won the European Cup. Could we claim players like that? It always seemed to me that there were borders at Bluebell Hill, the other side of Strood and beyond Rainham. No, not so much borders, but leylines. If you went past them there were towns and villages you'd never go to, with strange customs, where there might well be dragons and wyverns and griffins and chimaeras and cockatrices and basilisks and strange, dwarfish people with faces in their chests. Gives me the right fucking willies just thinking about places like that. Brrr.

Depends how big your catchment area is. It always seemed to me that there were borders at Bluebell Hill, the other side of Strood and beyond Rainham. No, not so much borders, but leylines. If you went past them there were towns and villages you'd never go to, with strange customs, where there might well be dragons and wyverns and griffins and chimaeras and cockatrices and basilisks and strange, dwarfish people with faces in their chests. Gives me the right fucking willies just thinking about places like that. Brrr.

Aah! You mean...Snodland.

In terms of transfer targets we wanted but didn’t get....

Mark Kinsella - wife wanted him to sign for a Championship side (she was proved right)
Dwight Gayle - Allen tried to sign from D&R(?) before he went to Peterborough
Kieran Agard (not fussed)

We didn't have the money to sign dwight gayle from Dagenham- I know his dad and the daggers got paid handsomely

It always seemed to me that there were borders at Bluebell Hill, the other side of Strood and beyond Rainham. No, not so much borders, but leylines. If you went past them there were towns and villages you'd never go to, with strange customs, where there might well be dragons and wyverns and griffins and chimaeras and cockatrices and basilisks and strange, dwarfish people with faces in their chests. Gives me the right fucking willies just thinking about places like that. Brrr.

It’s true. I lived out past Hoo on the peninsula. We are all very strange and dwarfish with faces in our chests and dragons for pets. You can blame the inbreeding. Some “massive” families out that way. Very hard finding someone not related.

Hence the move to Oz 👍

How about the lad who plays for Spurs, from Medway called Binks I think, who’s mum works in the Gills ticket office!

Glen Roeder

Grew up in Gravesend his Mum and Dad ran the pub that is now the Brewers Fayre

Glen Johnson
Jason Lillis
Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Chris Solly