Team for Saturday | Page 2 | Vital Football

Team for Saturday

Swan_Lady2 - 20/10/2016 16:35

As mistake ridden as Williams' performances were on occasions last season it has to be said that we have been far more vulnerable without our former captain leading the back line. Amat is a decent centre back but needs someone stronger alongside him, both Fernandez and Van Der Hoorn do not fit the bill and of course Mawson is untried at this level. Seems Jenkins gambled that we would manage without bringing in an experienced defender this summer and unfortunately so far results show that we are leaking unnecessary goals that have already cost us points.

Not sure what Bob can do to rectify this in the short term but his experiment of reuniting Amat and Fernandez certainly backfired at the Emirates, I'd be inclined to use Amat and Van Der Hoorn on Saturday as they did look a better pairing in Guidolin's final games.

Lets be honest, none of our defenders are top Premier League quality, or haven't proven to be as yet. Ashley Williams was, and as mentioned, he helped whoever was alongside him to look somewhat Premier League quality. With him gone, we now look like a proper bottom three defence, one that leaks goals and looks like it could concede at any time.

I don't agree with the idea of bringing in a totally new defensive partnership, but van der Hoorn and Amat looked a good pairing before Arsenal.

I think he will to. But if you analysis the games properly id bet good money he's responsible for assisting/setting up more chances for the opposition than he has including his goals for us. His goals will drop once the original chances start getting put away and confidence comes back to our quality players which will hopefully see him falling out of favour. I will admit though in quite the pessimist this season, i think we will survive but even on the better performance such as barrow this weekend i still struggle to see past the fault. Again this will change when it starts to look like players are turning up for the shirt and not the mandatory attendance to collect a pay slip!

Under normal circumstances i agree, make them work in uncompetitive matches and fight for PL position but if vdh amat doesnt work do you not agree that taking the gamble on a new pairing for a game or 2 is better than waiting for the transfer window and hoping we get investment?

what if that new pairing doesn't work? You've got to put faith in a pairing and stick with it. Amat and van der hoorn looked good enough so stick with it. I know Bradley said about a clean slate and everything but Fernandez and Amat will relegate us. They're a disaster together

I agree that vdh amat should be given a few games see how that works out over a period because they were the closest thing to solid we had so far. I just think with a defence leaking as much as it is we can't do much worse experimenting.