Tayo to Blackburn? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Tayo to Blackburn?

There are far better clubs out there than Blackburn but any player who wants to go and feel like its a good move for them and brings us in a bonus pile of cash at the same time, then great for that player and us....and all providing we can safely replace that player with someone sufficiently good enough.

Has Toffolo been playing lately? Wasn't in Huddersfield line ups when I looked earlier in month? Is he not wanted by them or maybe injured? Either way (especially the latter 😁) he might be a possibility...

There are far better clubs out there than Blackburn but any player who wants to go and feel like its a good move for them and brings us in a bonus pile of cash at the same time, then great for that player and us....and all providing we can safely replace that player with someone sufficiently good enough.

Has Toffolo been playing lately? Wasn't in Huddersfield line ups when I looked earlier in month? Is he not wanted by them or maybe injured? Either way (especially the latter 😁) he might be a possibility...
Played at the weekend after having covid, he's captain there now.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/footba...urn-rovers-transfers-deadline-window-21415347

Two points from this - Blackburn don't have any money despite selling Armstrong and what they have needs to go into replacing him.

"Harry Pickering is the sole senior left-back option with Lenni Cirino being drafted in to the matchday squad as cover. The lack of left-footed defenders has been a concern for Rovers and while they have looked to the loan market for a left-back, arranging deals with a Premier League club without guaranteeing regular minutes is an unenviable task. Free agency remains an option, former Sheffield United defender Kean Bryan previously touted, who can operate at either left-back or in the middle, but Rovers are expected to utilise their last loan on a defensive option.

"Thanks to the money received by Southampton for Adam Armstrong, Rovers have a very small portion of that income to redistribute into the playing squad and Mowbray's all too aware that it should be reinvested into a striker..."

My note: Harry Pickering is highly rated and was signed from Crewe in January.

My other note: Football League World has given an 'exclusive' about Lincoln and Blackburn to a guy who usually writes clickbait about Nottingham Forest, and who has apparently written nine articles in the last three hours.

Not saying the exclusive is a crock, or that Tayo won't be leaving, but these things lead me to believe the article is a little suspect.

Last edited:
How was that taken by fans back in the day? Did Taylor sell him, realise his mistake then brought him back to replace Dixie McNeil?

I remember at the time thinking we'd done well to get £11,500 for him (and so did at least one correspondent to the Football Echo). Freeman had perhaps not been at his best just then and I think had something like one goal from ten games. Plus at the time we still had Dixie McNeil and Brendan Bradley, with John Ward coming through to play more regularly for the first team.

Maurice Burton's take on it was that Freeman had appeared unsettled and David Herd had been 'ready to let him go'. He reported that Reading had made an offer which was more than City's valuation of Freeman so it was accepted. With Graham Taylor now having replaced Herd as manager, Freeman was now more reluctant to leave, but he did so, perhaps aware that City, who had inquired about buying midfielder Terry Heath from Scunthorpe, wanted to sell him to raise the money.

Heath of course joined later in the season for a lot less money.

It didn’t really work out for Percy at Reading and we signed him back after a couple of years.

One of my best friends has been a Reading season ticket holder all his life and so I know that Freeman was a cult hero down there too.

I think with him it was more personal issues that led him to leave Reading than footballing ones.

To be fair I was a lot more disappointed when McNeil was sold by Taylor. John Sillett, the Hereford manager back then, knew he'd got a steal.

How was that taken by fans back in the day? Did Taylor sell him, realise his mistake then brought him back to replace Dixie McNeil?
Remember Percy wanted to come back after a decent start, his partnership with Robin Friday who was a bit of a dodgy character, did not work out. Think we made a few thousand on the two deals.

Percy was working at RB Lincoln (Ruston Bucyrus) when I there after I left school.
He worked in the plating bay from memory.