🚹 Tanguy Ndombélé - Player Thread | Page 17 | Vital Football

🚹 Tanguy Ndombélé - Player Thread

You can have all the ability in the world but if your attitude stinks you won't make the grade in this league.

Regardless of his form or injury problems for me he is a waster. I would sell him in a heartbeat.

Most sort after midfielder and not a single big club went for him. The warning signs were there. How can a professional club not be able to get this guy fit and motivated

There is always a chance that the lad is not adjusting very well. This season has been horrible from start to now and when you pile on multiple injuries, moving to a completely new country and having to adjust to a faster, more physical league with awful scheduling then you could excuse him for finding it a lot to take in. Plus he has an absolutely massive price tag on his head and that just adds pressure. Time will tell the real story with him.

It's pointless arguing, just let them do what they always do - write them off with no understanding of what's been happening to him.

It's pointless arguing, just let them do what they always do - write them off with no understanding of what's been happening to him.

We can just see with our eyes on the pitch

He wanted off after 1 tackle yesterday

Mentally weak and half arsed so far - pulling out of challenges in his own box.

We may have written off a player, you’ve written off the manager

I appreciate Ndombele is going through an assimilation process to a new league and has had injury problems.

However, it stands to reason that if your fitness levels aren't quite there you do one of 2 things.
1) Give everything you've got and allow your manager to pull you off when you're done.
2) Play conservatively and positionally so you make your energy last longer.

What's not acceptable in both cases is not putting in the effort when you're in centre midfield. It's not fair to Winks who was stitched up several times by Ndombele who was playing like a luxury player. The video analysts would have an absolute field day with him if they froze the screen and showed him the positions he was taking and the "walking and jogging speed" stuff.

I'll be looking for a better attitude in future games.

The thing that stood out for me yesterday was the number of times when he did pass the ball and then just stood still as if the effort of running a few yards wasn’t in his thinking...ie: no pass and move.

I think it’s fair to say that on the evidence so far he shows flashes of the skill that was shown in the videos pre-season but his actual performances have been very poor. Chelsea targeted him for fouling yesterday as they knew he seems delicate which is surprising for a man of his size.

thinking back to those videos it’s obvious that he was most effective when he had runners going forward that could both pull defenders out of position and give him space for a killer pass....playing in our current system those players are not there until the last 15 minutes of games....he did make one very good run into their penalty area but forgot to shoot.

its up to him to get his head straight and sort out any fitness issues.

We can just see with our eyes on the pitch

He wanted off after 1 tackle yesterday

Mentally weak and half arsed so far - pulling out of challenges in his own box.

We may have written off a player, you’ve written off the manager

The manager deserves it, it's him that's helped break a player before he's even started.

N'Dombele will get better when he can stop protecting himself against further injury and as he gets fitter; Jose won't.

The thing that stood out for me yesterday was the number of times when he did pass the ball and then just stood still as if the effort of running a few yards wasn’t in his thinking...ie: no pass and move.

I think it’s fair to say that on the evidence so far he shows flashes of the skill that was shown in the videos pre-season but his actual performances have been very poor. Chelsea targeted him for fouling yesterday as they knew he seems delicate which is surprising for a man of his size.

thinking back to those videos it’s obvious that he was most effective when he had runners going forward that could both pull defenders out of position and give him space for a killer pass....playing in our current system those players are not there until the last 15 minutes of games....he did make one very good run into their penalty area but forgot to shoot.

its up to him to get his head straight and sort out any fitness issues.

Pass and stay in a rigid formation - that's playing to instruction, that's because you're playing with timidity and that's because you aren't allowed to gamble and get forward.

His natural instincts are to go forward - simply look at the first time he appeared for us against Villa at the beginning of the season. Simply look at hor he played Norwich; he was playing to instruction and that's Jose's doing, no one elses.

The manager deserves it, it's him that's helped break a player before he's even started.

N'Dombele will get better when he can stop protecting himself against further injury and as he gets fitter; Jose won't.

Jose Cant win

He plays him its too soon

he does not and hes laid into for not playing him

If the injury is as bad as made out get rid for the rest of the season and have surgery if needed and start again next.

Pass and stay in a rigid formation - that's playing to instruction, that's because you're playing with timidity and that's because you aren't allowed to gamble and get forward.

His natural instincts are to go forward - simply look at the first time he appeared for us against Villa at the beginning of the season. Simply look at hor he played Norwich; he was playing to instruction and that's Jose's doing, no one elses.

He has gotten forward in games under Jose before.

You can notice, just look for the Dude in the middle blowing out his arse after running 10 yards looking for the nearest Burger King.

That's what comes when you've broken a player by playing him whilst injured hopefully now he'll look more like he's running for the (defensive) bus...

It's a shame Alistair didn't dig deeper into how the niggling injuries have come about.

When - if ever - do you expect the Ndombele “global fitness programme” to bear some fruit?​
" Getting 60 minutes into his legs was a big deal. Yes, he looked knackered at times, but if he came through it without any injuries then it’s a step in the right direction.
I asked Mourinho a couple of days ago why after six months of the season, following a full pre-season, he still couldn’t rely on Ndombele to play 90 minutes and he simply said it was all the niggling little injuries that had messed up his fitness.
I followed that up with pretty much your question, had he seen benefits of putting the Frenchman on the ‘global training programme’ to improve his all round fitness, diet and nutrition. His answer was simply that at least he hadn’t got injured since which I guess is progress."

Ndombele is the only one who can fix his problems. He’s got all the talent in the world and he could be a devastating weapon in Mourinho’s armoury if he had the fitness to allow him to do what he does as a box to box player for 90 mnutes.

The Premier League is a very different proposition physically from Ligue 1 and we mustn’t forget that Ndombele was playing lower league French football only a four seasons or so ago so his body is playing catch-up.

Many foreign players need at least a season to adjust, Ndombele’s problem is that Spurs shelled out a club record £63million all in for him and will be expecting a return on that sum."

Last edited:

I did find this YouTube clip very interesting. It shows all of the best bits of Ndombele in a Spurs shirt. There's enough there to prove that we have one hell of a player on our hands if we can get his fitness and head right.

What it doesn't show is how he comfortably shirks responsibility in the centre mid area. Last week, I remember the commentator saying that it was Nomdbele that was playing centrally and then every time I looked after that it was Winks tearing round like a mad man covering his arse. I actually do think his best position is centrally but I wouldn't allow him anywhere near it at the moment.

I hope this global training programme can get at least his body into shape. As for his approach and attitude, we're all waiting for something to change.

I did find this YouTube clip very interesting. It shows all of the best bits of Ndombele in a Spurs shirt. There's enough there to prove that we have one hell of a player on our hands if we can get his fitness and head right.

What it doesn't show is how he comfortably shirks responsibility in the centre mid area. Last week, I remember the commentator saying that it was Nomdbele that was playing centrally and then every time I looked after that it was Winks tearing round like a mad man covering his arse. I actually do think his best position is centrally but I wouldn't allow him anywhere near it at the moment.

I hope this global training programme can get at least his body into shape. As for his approach and attitude, we're all waiting for something to change.
Just looking at those clips it’s no wonder he has had a lot of injuries given the number of times he was fouled.

A flattering compilation. One thing I noticed and still think. He has trickery to create space for a pass, but rarely shows a clean pair of heels. Not like Sissoko would. That doesn't mean he couldnt be useful once the other players learn how to work with him. Knowing he will create that space they need to be anticipating the pass and moving for it.

Approach and Attitude? When you've been sacrificed and your body isn't right, you're head won't suddenly become a pool of positivity.

The player was convinced to join us by Poch; he looked outstanding in his first game against Villa, then got a groin and hip issue and was then forced to play, then pulled out of an xmas game because he knew it wasn't right and got slated by his new manager for following the protocol and doing the right thing - so played and pushed himself and hey ho would you believe got injured again - forced by not being fit enough again, which absolutely everyone knew.

What attitude and mentality would you have?

Approach and Attitude? When you've been sacrificed and your body isn't right, you're head won't suddenly become a pool of positivity.

The player was convinced to join us by Poch; he looked outstanding in his first game against Villa, then got a groin and hip issue and was then forced to play, then pulled out of an xmas game because he knew it wasn't right and got slated by his new manager for following the protocol and doing the right thing - so played and pushed himself and hey ho would you believe got injured again - forced by not being fit enough again, which absolutely everyone knew.

What attitude and mentality would you have?

As you know, I've been vocal at times about Sissoko these last couple of seasons for playing with his heart not his head and at times leaving guys like Winks horribly exposed defensively. It's a team game. I still have high hopes that we get the same drive forward from Ndombele but with a far superior football brain in the middle of the park.

My attitude and mentality comments with Ndombele was about him equally leaving Winks exposed and looking like he was playing as an individual, not for the team. Whilst understanding his headspace and fitness isn't quite there, when he crosses the white line he has to correct that. Jose clearly has his part to play in that process.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm still massively enthused by having this guy at our football club. If that montage can be put together in a season where nothing's gone right, we're in for a great few years.

Ndom has the potential to be an absolute beast for us next season. This one, he’s struggling. I think he had fitness issues when we signed him, then he’s been struggling with injuries. This can be sorted.
However after v Chavs he should be benched. Play Winks/Lo Celso centrally, bring in Dele.