Tampa Bay Rays info | Vital Football

Tampa Bay Rays info

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Champions League
I've been having a look around and the Tampa Bay Rays baseball team who one of our potential new owners is part owner of are a very interesting team. I've shared some articles below worth a look below.

To summarise there are a lot of similarities to ourselves; always battling low attendances, apathetic locals, low spending compared to rival, little history, unglamorous club, share a stadium with other local sports, teams, often not given respect. They were perennial no hopers until a takeover from a succesful businessman transformed their fortunes on the field and have gone on to achieved great success despite the unglamorous image, low crowds, small budget etc not changing.

But the one area they do differ from us is their recruitment based on analytics and money ball which is at tge heart of theur success is very much the baseball equivalent of Brentford.

Ganaye has done interviews talking about this same type of ideology and was doing it at his previous clubs including Barnsley. So I think there is absolutely no doubt the future is develop the kids and having an extensive scouting set up to find cheap hidden gems no one else fancied and sell them on for a large profit as soon as possible. Then reinvest in improving the side and making sufficient money to keep the club self sufficient and give the owners a profit. It's what all clubs aspire to do including ourselves in the past but never got to the point it was working - it's easier said than done but I think these guys have experience of making it work so hopefully they will be exactly what we need.

The problem since our Prem money went is we were almost trying to fast track our success rather than build up to it by investing heavily beyond our means in the short term in the hope it would pay off down the line. It was high risk / high reward and pretty much building your house on sand - highly vulnerable to disaster. Tampa do the opposite; they operate with the lowest budget in the league and make profit every year in player sales. To put into context they operate at 50% less than the leagues average wage bill. It is quoted one player reccently moved in the NBL for 30m a year salary while Tampa full squad wage bill is about 50m in total. Yet they are very competitive every year despite selling their best players and seem to have a conveyor belt of unknown diamonds in the rough just as good ready to step up and the team doesn't miss a beat.

Very encouraging reading. Sounds like exactly the type of mentality and approach we will need to rise again and be succesful in the future. Hopefully there will be no snags and the deal done asap and the rebuild can begin.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....n-baseball-without-spending-money-11569931202

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/rays-success-built-on-analytics-development.html

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/column-penny-pinching-rays-manage-to-keep-up-with-big-boys-1.1307448?tsn-amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ld-fan-attendance-relocation-payroll-playoffs

I've been having a look around and the Tampa Bay Rays baseball team who one of our potential new owners is part owner of are a very interesting team. I've shared some articles below worth a look below.

To summarise there are a lot of similarities to ourselves; always battling low attendances, apathetic locals, low spending compared to rival, little history, unglamorous club, share a stadium with other local sports, teams, often not given respect. They were perennial no hopers until a takeover from a succesful businessman transformed their fortunes on the field and have gone on to achieved great success despite the unglamorous image, low crowds, small budget etc not changing.

But the one area they do differ from us is their recruitment based on analytics and money ball which is at tge heart of theur success is very much the baseball equivalent of Brentford.

Ganaye has done interviews talking about this same type of ideology and was doing it at his previous clubs including Barnsley. So I think there is absolutely no doubt the future is develop the kids and having an extensive scouting set up to find cheap hidden gems no one else fancied and sell them on for a large profit as soon as possible. Then reinvest in improving the side and making sufficient money to keep the club self sufficient and give the owners a profit. It's what all clubs aspire to do including ourselves in the past but never got to the point it was working - it's easier said than done but I think these guys have experience of making it work so hopefully they will be exactly what we need.

The problem since our Prem money went is we were almost trying to fast track our success rather than build up to it by investing heavily beyond our means in the short term in the hope it would pay off down the line. It was high risk / high reward and pretty much building your house on sand - highly vulnerable to disaster. Tampa do the opposite; they operate with the lowest budget in the league and make profit every year in player sales. To put into context they operate at 50% less than the leagues average wage bill. It is quoted one player reccently moved in the NBL for 30m a year salary while Tampa full squad wage bill is about 50m in total. Yet they are very competitive every year despite selling their best players and seem to have a conveyor belt of unknown diamonds in the rough just as good ready to step up and the team doesn't miss a beat.

Very encouraging reading. Sounds like exactly the type of mentality and approach we will need to rise again and be succesful in the future. Hopefully there will be no snags and the deal done asap and the rebuild can begin.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....n-baseball-without-spending-money-11569931202

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/rays-success-built-on-analytics-development.html

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/column-penny-pinching-rays-manage-to-keep-up-with-big-boys-1.1307448?tsn-amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ld-fan-attendance-relocation-payroll-playoffs

I posted very similar thoughts in one of the other threads.

Us being part of a hierarchy of other clubs (outside the country) could take a HUGE amount of pressure off us (instant success) and allow us to actually develop our players / take some chances.

It could also be one of the reasons that Euxton isn't being taken up on as they've got a different view on how the youth should be run (far more farming out players to play in teams within other leagues competitively).

In fairness it was starting to bear fruits the investments we had made in recent years. You just have to look at how much interest has been shown in our team in particular our youth players. The problem was we had was our owner pulled out just before we started to get the rewards for it. So hopefully these new owners will have more patience and like you said be more willing to build us up slowly. I mean I know iec spent a lot on players last season. But to expect us to get to the prem of what they spent was absurd.

Wouldn't be so sure Moonay !
Rumour has it that the vibe is a little downbeat in the Woolpack tonight 🤣

How do you know, is because the USA have it in the bag, please say yes to not let all the dreamers on here down. They are booking base ball teams to play on the pitch and NFL

In fairness it was starting to bear fruits the investments we had made in recent years. You just have to look at how much interest has been shown in our team in particular our youth players. The problem was we had was our owner pulled out just before we started to get the rewards for it. So hopefully these new owners will have more patience and like you said be more willing to build us up slowly. I mean I know iec spent a lot on players last season. But to expect us to get to the prem of what they spent was absurd.
It was doing really well. We just had a huge problem of allowing the youth into our team as we were afraid to go down/take chances.

How do you know, is because the USA have it in the bag, please say yes to not let all the dreamers on here down. They are booking base ball teams to play on the pitch and NFL
Morning Craig, out the wrong side again at see 🤣.
Was referring to the failed plan to buy the stadium alone. Not to the yanks

It certainly looked like it but the issue was the amount of money we lost on the way there was so large it had no room for error and no reserves if it went wrong.

I imagine the idea will be to get back to that level of spending in the future but not without gradually building up to it so it is self sufficient rather than so speculative.

Having been to a few baseball games I can safely say they are brilliant with merchandising and incentivising fans to come through the gate. Might be harder to replicate here but it's worth a go! Obviously if this all goes ahead and I'm not getting ahead of myself.